FODS Potential

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been on this forum for a while, but I haven't put many miles on my FJR, nor have I participated in any rides. But it's high time that I break out of my shell. I will seriously have to farkle up my black cherry '07, which is pretty much stock. Better seat or Airhawk, throttlemeister, highway pegs, MV riser. And service the suspension, which has not been done one single time. I'm thinking this location could inspire me to commit to making it happen. I'm saying tuned, as long as y'all think you can put up with me. 😳

Iris said:Okay....so let's take this topic out of the "potential" schedule, and let's start planning. 1st of all, can I go?

What's the time frame? I vote for end of July/early August (due to the fact that the mountain passes are so easily prone to snow).

Who's in?
In

I need to be home for Bastille Day celebrations so Late July/Early August works for me.

bastille-day.jpg

I'd highly recommend getting out to any of the FJR gatherings - EOM is in your neck of the woods every fall (second half of September typically). There's also the SFO meet in Alabama coming up in a couple weeks...

The idea behind this thread is a FODS meet - "FODS" is short for "FJR Owners with Dual Sports". The chatter is to cart our dual sport bikes (Mine is a Suzuki DRZ400SM /w S wheels) out west and see how many times we fall down..

There are plenty of FJR worthy roads out there too, so feel free to keep informed on this thread if it develops into a meet in Colorado.

Wayne

I've been on this forum for a while, but I haven't put many miles on my FJR, nor have I participated in any rides. But it's high time that I break out of my shell. I will seriously have to farkle up my black cherry '07, which is pretty much stock. Better seat or Airhawk, throttlemeister, highway pegs, MV riser. And service the suspension, which has not been done one single time. I'm thinking this location could inspire me to commit to making it happen. I'm saying tuned, as long as y'all think you can put up with me.

So, Iris, Jim, and MrBill are organizing a FODS Colorado 2017 - let us know what camp ground we're staying at and please provide the web address for GPS route download.

Okay....so let's take this topic out of the "potential" schedule, and let's start planning. 1st of all, can I go? I just invited myself.
smile.png
Jim and I were talking about this trip and we would just take the DRZ's the way they are (the way they were setup for the FODS this past spring) with the Heidenau tires.

What's the time frame? I vote for end of July/early August (due to the fact that the mountain passes are so easily prone to snow).

Hey.....we could maybe rent a house for the time out there and do day trips?

C'mon.....this'll be really fun!!!

Who's in?

^^^^

Oh God, help me.....or Wayne ;-)

Hold on

Wait....

What's this talk about camping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remind me when again what month this would happen...June? I will think seriously about making it.

Well, I've started to search for a bike to keep at my in-laws in AZ. So, I'd be in. Camping or whatever. There's plenty of campgrounds with cabins and nearby hotels.

Montrose was a killer location this year.

There is a KOA between Montrose and Ouray that has 80 foot pull through. Er I mean 24 meter pull through. KOA has kabins and they serve breakfast/dinner and may have entertainment.

The ADV crowd has an annual meetup in Silverton. I don't think those campgrounds have cabins like the KOA does though.

A qoute from the ADV forum:

Typically Colorado trails are rideable from July 1st till October 1st. Locals need the month of June to clear the trails and in heavy snowfall years it may take until mid-July for the trails to be cleared and for the snow drifts to melt. Please do NOT arrive early and damage the terrain by bypassing downfall or snow drifts.

Boy am I glad that Wayne is stepping up to the plate on this one!

Lol.

I checked out the KOA. I like the cabin idea. The only thing I'll mention about KOA cabins is that I once stayed in one and the mattress was made of plastic (it makes it easier for them to clean them I gues). Anyway, even with the sheets on the mattress, I felt very sticky. I vowed to never do that again. I will call ahead to make sure that their mattresses are not made of plastic, or vinyl, or whatever it was.

That cabin that we stayed in last year with Mr. Bill was very nice.

Also, I love that they have restaurant on site. This makes it nice to be able to gather and socialize. The one that Bill mentioned in the above post has BBQ too!!!

Okay....how about somewhere between July 24 to August 4th ish?

Of course there's travel back and forth too.

We will throw the DRZ's into the back of Jim's pickup truck.

Okay....how about somewhere between July 24 to August 4th ish?
Of course there's travel back and forth too.

We Jim will throw the DRZ's into the back of Jim's pickup truck.
You meant this, right?

wink.png

You kids have fun and don't break a pinky.

Good job Iris volunteering to be RallyBastard Master.

FODS have always been Thu-Sun

The KOA has all sorts of cabins and a teepee.

I ran some dates on the KOA reservation site and the premium cabin with bathrooms are not open the weekends after 24 July. The fancy cabins open 10-14 August.

If you go with the bring your own bedding and mattress then they are open 27-30 July.

So we have

27-30 July

3-6 August

10-14 August - fancy cabins available

I'm not going to be a cabin cat this FODS. I'm going to rough it.
scooter.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
See, it's not all that difficult to get things rolling, Iris. Good job recruiting MrBill...

Food for thought... I have to minimize the number of business days I'm away - 5 business days is about the max I can go right now. There are just too many things on my plate from a HR, payroll, and invoicing standpoint for me to take more time than that. My travel plans would be to drive out on the first weekend (Saturday / Sunday), ride Mon-Fri, and drive home on the second weekend. I know many don't have the same work / vacation constraints, but that is what I'm looking at for a COBDR trip.

wayne

Wayne said:
Blah blah blah I still have so much work
poster_oops.gif
I mean he said he was a hard worker
smile.png
My travel plans would be to drive out on the first weekend (Saturday / Sunday), ride Mon-Fri, and drive home on the second weekend.wayne
Well that would be some FODS. Five days in the dirt! I'm in!

I'm glad you'll lead us all so we don't need no stinking tracks! Ha ha.

My gps will show the high def radar in the Rockies, but we will be so high you can see the storm a hundred miles away there. Who cares about a little rain, snow, lightening and hail anyway
uhoh.gif

I have to work a day in July so I can schedule that earlier in the month and leave the date picking to you hard working people. Today is going to be a tough day at work. Two hours!
lazy.gif

I haven't been on a dirt bike since my son and I rode together in the 90's, and that was on a decade old (at least) XR200. If I were to start shopping for a dual sport for this FODS, I'm wondering where to start, and any help will be appreciated. Does it have to be street legal as well? Is there a displacement below which I will be disappointed? I've seen DRZs and KLRs mentioned. Are there any other suitable machines? And I have to ask, would a side by side four wheeler be up to the ride?