For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have on '07....Thanks for the link. Would like to see pictures.

Joe

Joe,

I'm a little tardy posting these, but here are a few pics of the farkles we discussed. I have others in case you want something specific, but I don'want to go too far off topic:

Here is the tube I used, and the location where most people mount a tool tube. Many people use welding rod tubes that are a bit narrower, but not as thick a plastic. I was worried about clearance so I changed to a different location, using a longer hex screw of stock size on one side, and because of clearance issues, a zip tie on the other:

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

IMG_1811-1.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

Here are some shots of the HT NERF bars, engine guard and bash plate. Sorry about the mud in the photos. I have cleaner shots if needed. The right NERF bar was a tad close to the fairing, so I dremmeled a little clearance in one spot so the vibrating hum at 3000RPM didn't drive me nuts. As you can see in one photo, the radiator is a bit exposed and I'll fab up an aluminum guard.

IMG_1822.jpg

IMG_1820.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

Good luck on the install. Good investment whether you take your bike to Mexico or not, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinny,

Thanks for the reply. HT forgot to send out my stuff so it won't get here till Monday (wanted to install this weekend).

The tube you have, did you get it off ebay? I think I saw some on there.

Joe

Shinny,Thanks for the reply. HT forgot to send out my stuff so it won't get here till Monday (wanted to install this weekend).

The tube you have, did you get it off ebay? I think I saw some on there.

Joe
https://www.azbeemers.org/forum/index.php?topic=640.0 Joe, Shiny has done a very nice installation on his KLR tool tube, MM is a meticulous craftsman! I am not saying that we Irish are cheap, but we will fart on a rock just to save the grease!

If you look at Reply #5 in the link above you will see my tool tube on my 2006 KLR "Mi Mexico Mule II" and I made it for free. If you have a plumber buddy, buy him a beer and scrounge a 14" long piece of 4" threadable Schedule 80 gray PVC and a glue cap and a threaded cap. If you have a buddy working in HVAC, buy him a beer and get two 12" long threaded adjustable banding straps and two 3" long hose clamps. Simply glue the cap on one end, thread the cap on the other; then place the long banding straps around the tube at the same location as your KLR frame down tubes allowing a little gap in the straps.

Attach the short hose clamps around the down tubes and through the banding strap gap. Tighten up all four of the adjusting threads on the banding straps and hose clamp; cut away any excess so they won't snag brush and you are good to go.

Working for Metro Mechanical I used my "Irishman's five finger discount" to steal the items from our Metro parts warehouse!!!

POSTSCRIPT: Be forewarned, every Federale/Mexican Army officer manning a drugs and weapons checkpoint throughout the entire country of Mexico is going to want to inspect that tool tube. When I am south of the border I just use my tool tube to carry my dirty skivvies in and put my tools up in my tank bag. Trust me, the minute La Policia sees the tool tube they're utterly convinced that you've a Beretta Minx or Jetfire .22 or .25 caliber automatic in there or your drogas are stashed in there!

By packing tool tube with my dirty skivvies in there, complete with a brown racing stripe on them, stops the searching ASAP!

Thanks Don. Looks good, and I do have friends that can help me on this.
Joe
If you decide to go the tractor tube route:

https://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=6...mp;sid=&eid

I was cheap = I don't know any plumbers and parts for a traditional tool tube were more $. Some have had the clamps fail due to vibration; inspect it regularly. I'm still thinking of a mounting point for another tube. don't forget some attach it to the inner aspect of the mounting brackets for your side bags. The look cool facing rearward as well. Acetone takes the yellow markings off the agritube. I just haven't done it. My second tube may end up a PVC tube at the bash plate if I can't figure something else out.

Don, thanks for the tip on my skivvies in the tube at the border; but I'm not sure mine would roll up small enough. :eek:

ShinyPartsUp: I have sent you a present by US Mail. I know you are working a lot of hours and the weather in the Specific North Wet is the rainy shits; and Niehart keeps asking you to pull his finger. So, I have sent you an M/C travelogue video.

Have mailed you (from Chandler PO) "Morocco - A Motorcycle Trip Through the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara" A DVD.

German's spoken throughout the video, but they've added English voiceover for you gringos "Sie nichts sprechen Deutsch"!!!

https://tourenfahrer.de I figure after we conquer traveling through Barrancas del Cobre, Mexico in both directions (Batopilas y Urique), we will need something more exciting next time: Morocco. Just return video to me when we see each other next.

Thank you Don! I'll look forward to it. As a matrter of fact, I got copies of your Real, Mexico DVD made finally, and the original is in the mail to you today. Great fun.

Joe -- I had a copy made for the other "rookie" on this trip too. PM me your address and I will send a copy of Don's trip to Real to you.

Gotta run but very pleased to be looking for that in the mail Don. I'll start playing the lottery ;) for the exotic trips you have planned for me. :)

I am going to try my first tire change tommorow on the KLR with a D606 for the old girl to play in the mud. It is wet right now up here.

Hello folks,

Sorry I haven't been checking in more often.

I too need to still sort out the stuff needed and where to place the much needed tools to change my tire tubes.

Well now I have D606 on front and a TKC on the back. It's like a whole new bike. She a lot more sure footed in the dirt.

I'm just about to pull the trigger and buy a 2 into 1 crossover pipe and a Remus silencer for the Big Gurl. But damn this stuff is expensive! The great thing is that it will save me around 15 lbs in weight. After this I'm going to save my pennies and update the suspension.

Friday I might actually get a chance to ride a thumper all day. I'm looking forward to feeling the weight difference.

So what's the count up to now? Do we have 9 yet? Did Fjrrider sign up?

Hi Chris: No, I never heard back from Fjrrider. I plan on twisting Dr. Rich's arm into going at The Death Valley Daze 2010.

"The Great Dane" has a Honda XR650L and he has done a whole bunch of California dirt bike riding; Rich would be a great addition, as long as he doesn't bring his boyfriend Old Michael along. Right now count is: You, Me, Joe, Shiny and Brian B.!

I'd like to see your big girl sometime Chris. You mentioned suspension. I emailed Dave up at GP Suspension and they said they hadn't worked on KLR's in a few years, but had done some SV's etc. He said he'd take a look at the suspension and work on it if I sent the front end and rear shock to him. They did such a great job on the JJR I'm going to save my pennies and do a custom job, I think.

I rode la diabla on-road today to meet redtail as he made it to town. It wasn't raining so much as showing some Oregon sunshine. How do you like the tire setup on the Big Girl Chris? Any reason in particular for the mix and match?

Don,

It sounds like Doctor Rich would be a great addition. Nothing is better than having someone who's has lots of experience in front of you while riding dirt.

Shiny,

Actually this tire combo was because of convenience. I needed a back tire ASAP and TKC was what they had at the dealer. However according to ADV Orange forums they claim the best combo for my Gurl (by the way, I copied the "Gurl" spelling from DCarver :rolleyes: ) is the D606 front and D908RR on the rear. I personally don't know what's best :blink: . I will say it feels weird riding with a knobbie on the front. It seems to be a bit harder to initiate a turn on street using the handlebars, however there's a heck of lot more steering control by using your knees and footpegs (if this makes any sense :dribble: ) than with the Scorpion tire.

I just ordered the Remus silencer and the 2 into 1 pipe. Now I will be able to get rid of those Cats and all the emission crap. The best part is that the big "o" Gurl will lose some weight! :yahoo: When I get home from work this morning I will try to post some pictures.

Don,
It sounds like Doctor Rich would be a great addition. Nothing is better than having someone who's has lots of experience in front of you while riding dirt.

Shiny,

Actually this tire combo was because of convenience. I needed a back tire ASAP and TKC was what they had at the dealer. However according to ADV Orange forums they claim the best combo for my Gurl (by the way, I copied the "Gurl" spelling from DCarver :rolleyes: ) is the D606 front and D908RR on the rear. I personally don't know what's best :blink: . I will say it feels weird riding with a knobbie on the front. It seems to be a bit harder to initiate a turn on street using the handlebars, however there's a heck of lot more steering control by using your knees and footpegs (if this makes any sense :dribble: ) than with the Scorpion tire.

I just ordered the Remus silencer and the 2 into 1 pipe. Now I will be able to get rid of those Cats and all the emission crap. The best part is that the big "o" Gurl will lose some weight! :yahoo: When I get home from work this morning I will try to post some pictures.
Cool! I'd love to see pics.

I took the rear tire off last night without drama, before calling it a day. I'm putting the D606 on tomorrow later this morning; if it doesn't go as planned I will bring the tire down to a shop for mounting and watch them (the old see one, do one, teach one). There is life left in my stock street-oriented front tire so I'll leave it on until later; then throw the D606 on in front as well. I'll have to see what that does to handling. I researched the D908 and some guys swap the stock 17 inch rim for 18 inchers on the KLR, but turn them into super motos with smaller 18" front rims as well. I don't think there is clearance for an 18 inch rear wheels and knobbies on the KLR's without major modifications, with dubious benefits over the D606 rear, IMHO.

Losing weight sounds good, but I'm getting worried my bike is getting heavier all the time, between steel guards, mods, tires, etc.

Oh, and I'll try to ride behind you in Mexico. ;) :lol: :p

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=116905&hl= Michael and Chris: Go back to my photos from our April Mexico Real de Catorce Ride and look closely at the pictures of Brian Boles riding the sandy beach of Padre Island, Texas. Notice that he is running a TKC 80 knobbie in the front and an Avon Distanzia in the rear; that is the "ideal" setup according to the "hot-rod" offroad riders down here in AZ. Brian absolutely hauls ass on his ancient BMW R100GS BumbleBeemer, he's one of the quickest in dirt & sand that you'll ever see; he does this because he wants to "plant" the front and "drift" the old GS's rear!

Here's some photos:

Notice all the guards on the Gurl, she needs them with me on the driver seat! :rolleyes:

100_2111.jpg

Here's a view of the side stand relocation bracket (it use to be on the engine) and the comfortable Bill (Rocky) Mayer seat

100_2112.jpg

Here you can see the radiator guard, euro headlight and heavy duty skid plate by Black Dog

100_2113.jpg

Here's the cockpit with the Roc risers.

100_2114.jpg

Here's picture of her back in December showing how big her big butt can get. :dribble:

100_1648.jpg

Chris, that is a good looking gurl!

Some observations/comments: I swear in the back if you discount the panniers, she is smiling. Nice setup.

There appear to be grip puppies on your bars. If so, do they work well off-road for you? I swapped grips for gel grips but they are still hard and narrow for my fat, soft hands. I like them on the FJR, but heard mud gets them wonky. Last time I off-roaded, I got mud splattered in the cockpit (don't ask me how, I don't know -- but it flys everywhere). Risers are on my list too. Damn this is getting pricey. ;) I personally like black bikes, but I thought Katooms HAD to be orange? :p

Don and Chris, I'm learning more all the time. I think one reason my rear end has been loose in soft stuff (you wrote of this Don) is that my tire pressures have been too high. I assume you are not using rim locks; what pressures do you use on different surfaces? I know YMMV, but it might give me a ballpark to start experimenting. I will not hold you to any consequences of my behaviors, etc. etc.

Don, most of the surfaces I saw in your video and others, appears rather rocky on the Mexico tours. Any sense how many dirt/gravel versus sand/mud, etc. surfaces we might see on the trip? Just curious.

Thanks for everything guys.

Hi Guys, when you see me in offroad pictures on BMW GS Salma Hayek: I drop both front and rear tires down to 25 psi from normal 32 front and 38 rear. I don't know the dirt road conditions past Urique y Batopilas: All new territory for Papa Chuy!

I'm like Shiny. I keep adding weight.

Maybe I should try to loose weight to make up for it..

I don't think that will happen.

Joe

One of my friends that rides a Victory is having

a Lab Band done this morning. Not for me.