For All You Dirty DS Minded FJR Riders On This Forum!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a little bit of drama getting that stiff-walled D606 mounted, but I wanted to learn more about the mechanicals of motorcycles. And I got some edumication.

Got the wheel off the bike, tire off the rim wthout tearing up the stock tube (I'll use it as my emergency spare now). I could not for the life of me, even after watching Youtube videos, figure out how to start the new tire on the rim :unsure: . I ended up going down to the dealership and having them show me and I finished mounting the tire on the tailgate of my pickup with the spoons I'd use in the field. Took a lot of technique and muscle with no lube but on she went with advice accepted, and no pinched tube.

Took it home and put all the parts back together with lube in the right places (hope so). Damn caliper bolts won't line up :angry2: . Stop and go for some lunch like a good Robustos. Still no go. Call to a mechanic. Figured out I didn't put the axle through the caliper bracket that holds it in place, so the bolts wouldn't line up. Pull everything apart again. Put the rear end together again. Adjusted the chain and rear alignment, then for peace-of-mind rode her to the shop for an inspection by my mechanic. I learned some tricks and tips (I tipped him $30 for showing me some stuff and checking her over) :) . Got a clean bill of health and kudos for cleaning up the bike by getting rid of some graphics and fitting the tool tube where and how I did.

A good day.

P.S. I already have rubbed a tiny bit of the right tire lugs on the exhaust can (expected as the tire is a tiny bit wider than stock). Scrubbed the tires in a bit before the kids got home from school. On-road the tires worked well; certainly better and quieter than expected up to 50mph. When I have time to get the rear tire dirty I'll post a report. I took a few pics of the tire on the KLR if anybody cares -- let me know and I'll post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tube and tire change report, Shiny! It's good that you now know how to field change a tube and tire from your KLR650.

And everything you have written is why I hate changing tubes and tires with a purple freaking passion! I detest it so damn much it is the prime reason every moto in my garage has tubeless tires. I'll look at machines, such as a Ducati ST2, and think how much I'd like buying it: Then the reality it has tubes in the tires just chills my blood. Pinche cabron malo tubes!!!

I hate tubes also. I was going to check to see if anyone makes a tubeless rim for the KLR.

Sure would be nice.

Joe

I hate tubes also. I was going to check to see if anyone makes a tubeless rim for the KLR.Sure would be nice.

Joe
Joe, how old were you when you changed out your first tube? I was 15 and changed out the rear tire on my 1959 Triumph Speed Twin 500. I hated that drill then and now that I'm 61, I hate it even more. A tubeless rim for a KLR would be great!!

The last tube I changed was about 3 yrs ago on my TW 200.

I am going to check on the tubeless rim before we go. I saw a video

on you tube on how to make a spoke wheel tubeless. I don't

know if I would truse it in Mexico.

Joe

The last tube I changed was about 3 yrs ago on my TW 200.I am going to check on the tubeless rim before we go. I saw a video

on you tube on how to make a spoke wheel tubeless. I don't

know if I would truse it in Mexico.

Joe
My mechanic has made one set for another KLR tubeless. It can be done but a PIA and if the seal goes south on you at the wrong time; you end up having to put a tube in anyway. So I figured I better learn. I expect to change the front later, then probably practice with one more set before Mexico. Then pray like hell I don't have to do it in the field with my cranky back kneeling on the ground. I also figured out I could NOT get it done with my field service kit as currently configured. Kawi doesn't give you a rear axle nut wrench in the toolkit. Took a 1 1/16" wrench. I didn't have a metric wrench big enough. I had to tap the sucker with a rubber mallet to get it going too. This may be one of those skills I learn well enough to do with swearing in the field in an emergency, then like Don, buy bikes that are tubeless.

I've ridden alot in the desert southwest with my dual-sport buddies -- mainly off-highway forest roads/BLM roads and two-track trails across the desert. Through the years, every one of us has had at least one flat -- some, several. The customary culprit is a big ugly cactus thorn. They've all been repaired (patched tubes) and pressurized 'in the field'.

One caution on dual-sport tire selection: some dual-sport style tires are available for "tube-less" use -- some of these have a bead design that's required for tube-less. Sometimes, when these (tube-less compatible) are mounted on some tube-type rims it becomes nearly impossible to break the bead in the field. If you can't break the bead -- you can't patch the tube.

I always choose a tire that has no (zero) tube-less pretentions for my dual-sport bike.

As a side note: the R1200GS is, far-and-away, BMW's best selling (American) model and a huge majority of these are sold with the optional, and expensive, tube-less wire-wheel option (they now come stock with cast wheels). When I inquired about this from those-in-the-know I was told it stems from a decades-old BMW problem with soft cast-wheels. The -- even older -- previous technology of wire-spokes is apparently better (in the eyes of the buyers) than modern cast wheels?

I've never dual-sported with anyone with tube-less wheels/tires and, thus, have never seen any off-highway tire plugging -- altho it's a valid technique other places.

I have heard of, tho, a BMW club member who was dual-sporting in the desert and had a puncture and (luckily he had cell-phone service) called the number the national club provided. By-and-by a service truck was dispatched from the nearest civilization, loaded-up him and his BMW, and hauled them to town where a tire repair was done... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of, tho, a BMW club member who was dual-sporting in the desert and had a puncture and (luckily he had cell-phone service) called the number the national club provided. By-and-by a service truck was dispatched from the nearest civilization, loaded-up him and his BMW, and hauled them to town where a tire repair was done... :rolleyes:
Had a similar experience. Andy's1200 GS has tubeless tires, so we carried plugs for his. My 650GS has tubes. I got a flat but fortunately it was while we were on-road rather than miles from anywhere. We had the tubes but no bead breaker. Called BMW's number and had a hard time wit the guy on the phone not understanding why we didn't have a jack. Told him that the bike was on the center stand and the wheel was out. Best he could offer was to have the bike hauled to Tucson BMW (we were in Flagstaff) or Phoenix. The dealerships were both closed that day but would be open the next day. No, he could only take the wheel to BMW even though it was several hundred miles away.

Solved the problem by strapping the wheel to Andy's bike and taking it, with our spare tube, to the local HD dealer. No Kool-aid but a fast and efficient tube change.

It pays to be independent.

Found a place in Calif that will make spoke wheels set up for tubeless.

Cost is $89 a wheel with a one year warranty.

Now I just need to make up my mine if I want to do it.

Joe

Found a place in Calif that will make spoke wheels set up for tubeless.Cost is $89 a wheel with a one year warranty.

Now I just need to make up my mine if I want to do it.

Joe
Joe, this'll certainly make the BMW F800GS and KTM Adventure bikes a lot more attractive to whole bunch of dualsport riders!

Talked to Skip @ MotoDiscovery, he highly reccommended to keep it clean and ride a street legal set up, because of documentation purposes at the border.

So, I'm not out yet. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a KTM530EXC. Hope to let you guys know for sure in the next couple of days!!!!

Scott

Sounds Great, Scott! Brian Boles is also riding KTM, a 2005 525EXC converted with the Baja Designs Dual Sport/Enduro Kit.

Is fully licensed and registered here in Arizona with current plate. Extremely easy to register "offroad only" bikes here in AZ!

That guy must be pretty light to get the front to pull up that easy just with the throttle. When I was test riding one in Tucson I came to a speed hump and hit the throttle as the front wheel hit the hump. Damn thing came way up so easy - it scared the crap out of me. Scared me so bad I did it agian later. :D

They do wheelie easily.