For those of you planning a European Alpine M/C trip.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.dbautozug.de/site/dbautozug/en/...kerspecial.html Here is another European travel option that's a great one. I enjoy using Deutsche Bahn, the German National Railways, when I'm in Europe. They are now offering a 25% discount to any motorcyclists; put your motorraden on the train in Heidelberg, Germany and wake up in Pisa, Italy the next morning. Ready to ride where it is warm and dry!!!

https://www.dbautozug.de/site/dbautozug/en/...y/overview.html Here is a map of Italy's Auto Train depots. Neu Isenberg is between Frankfurt and Heidelberg. You could ride to the North Sea or Berlin and then be whisked South to Italy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody here rented out of Rome? Preferably near Trigoria on the south side. Looks like I'm headed there in a week or two.

Anybody here rented out of Rome? Preferably near Trigoria on the south side. Looks like I'm headed there in a week or two.
https://www.cimt.it/ Checkswrecks, when you posted this so many months ago, I had no answer for you; I do now! This outfit comes highly recommended to me by a BMW MOA Ambassador friend of mine. Their headquarters is in Rome and they have offices in Milan and Pisa. For my next Dolomites and Adriatic tour I will give them a try and let you know my experience!

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631082 Here is my friends Italy Ride Report. Good News: Italy is a beautiful country! Bad News: It is filled with people like our johnny80s!

One of PFFOG's ride videos, this one in Murci, IT. Goombah johnny80s was driving the tractor trailer rig across the white centerline at 1:48! Watch out for Dago Drivers!

https://www.yamaha-landshut.de/english.htm Found another rental shop for our Alps and Spain Motorcycle Tour in June-July of 2013.  Super Tenere rentals.

He only rents Hondas and possibly Yamahas.
Landshut is an easy train ride from the train station in Munich...about 40 minutes. He will pick you up...train station is a mile from the shop.

https://www.motowelt.de Motorrad Maier - Motowelt
Many thanks, Alex!

I'm researching The French Alps (Chuy has never ridden them!) for the FJR Forum Trip in last week of June and first week of July in 2013 and found this gem of an article:

The French Alps - possibly the best riding in the world?

Well, anywhere in the Alps actually. It doesn't specifically have to be in the French part - good roads and mountains don't recognise political boundaries.

Why are the High Alps so good?

For a start off, the Alps are within pretty easy reach of the UK. Depending on your start point of course, a two day ride will get you there from most places in the UK. The highest part of these mountains is about a 600 miles ride from Calais. There may be equally stunning riding areas in the world, but

I don't know of any (yet), and

It would almost certainly involve a long-haul flight to get there.

So what's so special?

Just the sheer splendour and magnitude of the mountains. You can ride around Mont Blanc, Europe's highest mountain at 4800m. It's always snow covered, as the name suggests. You can ride over the highest paved mountain pass in the Alps - the Col de L'Iseran just above the ski resort of Val D'Isere. This climbs to 2770 metres above sea level, and is usually blocked by snow until mid-June. You're riding at altitudes of about 6 times higher than anything in the UK. The roads twist and turn for mile after mile after mile; there are few cars around in early season; the road surfaces are mostly good with excellent grip; there are no traffic jams or speed traps; you're surrounded by snow capped peaks and tumbling glaciers; and for most of the time the sun shines brightly as well. Need I go on?

Ok I will. It's very hot down in the valleys, often 35 to 40 degrees Celsius in Summer, but as soon as you climb up the valleys towards the high mountain passes (known as "cols") the air is cool, crisp and invigorating. Bikers are welcomed here, and many small restaurants lay on a special menu for you. Photo opportunities are never ending, and you can even fit in a bit of summer skiing while you are here.

At the end of the day, when the riding is done, you'll find eating out is better value than England, and although bar tariffs can be high, chilled 1664 from the supermarkets is exceptionally good value, and it's a higher quality product that the stuff they sell us back home.

A favourite base of mine is the little town of Bourg St Maurice. This normal French town is busy throughout the year, and is able to offer the visitor something of interest in all 4 seasons. In winter, it sits beneath the ski resort of Les Arcs and in summer it's an ideal location for mountain sports such as Paragliding, mountain biking, river rafting and of course motorcycling.

The ultimate ride for me, is a circular route I've named the "Circuit de Mont Blanc" which can start and finish in Bourg St Maurice, or at any point en-route either.

This 200 mile route pulls in 10 mountain passes across 3 different countries; France, Switzerland and Italy. We begin with the Cormet du Roselan which climbs steeply out of Bourg St Maurice heading for Beaufort, which is famous for its cheese. A little detour via the barrage and the "Col du Pre" makes sure we get an extra col in the bag which wouldn't normally fall naturally into the circuit. A steady route via Flumet, Megeve and Chamonix sees us through some of the glitziest ski resorts in Europe. We ride beneath a truly imposing icefall near the mouth of the Mont Blanc tunnel, before reaching the Col du Forclaz and Martigny over the Swiss border. There's an extra little route via Champex I've still not ridden, but note it will add yet another diversion to this already spectacular day route. We then take on the magnificent Col du Grand St Bernard, which is my personal favourite. Very challenging, very high, very twisty, with a fairly well-surfaced road taking us to its summit and the border with Italy.

We pass a shimmering frost edged lake, then commence the exhilerating descent into the Aosta valley in Italy. A little tiresome straightroad riding in the intense summer heat soon passes, before we cut short our obvious route towards Courmayeur and the Petit St Bernard. A little known pass called the St Carlo is worth doing. I found this almost by accident, and it "cuts the corner" to La Thuile. The road is a well surfaced, demanding succession of continuous hairpins, which enables you to bag yet another col, before conquering the last one of the day - the Petit St Bernard, which takes you back over the top into France again.

The final drop down to Bourg St Maurice from La Rosiere will have your hands and wrists crying out for mercy, after braking hard for every hairpin bend, time after time for the tenth occasion today! Half way down, you'll be hit by an intense wall of heat as the coolness of high altitude gives way to the low lying sun trap of the valley bottom again.

I've seen people literally shaking with the adrenaline rush and exhaustion after completing this final run of the day.

Either get yourself straight down to the open air swimming pool before the sun goes down, or..

What better way to relax now, then to dump the bike and head on down to "Le Tonneau", the local bikers' staging point, and enjoy a couple of oh-so-welcome chilled beers. As the beers goes down, stories of the day's heroic riding begin to emerge...

When to go?

Not before mid-May as the high mountain cols will still be snow bound. June & July - probably the best. June - snow only just receding, alpine flowers emerging and Marmottes coming out of hibernation. Late June sees a Motorcycle Rally (The Trans' Vanoise) and the Fete de St Jean taking place in Bourg St Maurice. The ski lifts operate in the months of July & August as this is now "high season", along with the opening of the open air pool and all the mountain restaurants. Everything is open in July and August, but it can be very very hot, and relatively busy. September & October are shoulder season, pretty, and still warm, but things are starting to close down for the approaching winter. Anytime from early to mid October, it may start to snow on the mountains. November can see major snowfall, and then, it's a whole new ball game. The ski season begins again, and many of the roads you've just enjoyed riding up and down now become ski runs again until next May.

Further information..

https://www.lesarcs.com Bourg St Maurice Tourist Board site.

https://www.alpineroads.com Descriptions of all the major Alpine passes in France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland. Information and organised motorcycle tours to the alps.

This story was kindly provided by Bike Tours UK website, https://www.biketours-uk.com

French Alps will be the optional second week of the FJR Forum Alps Tour, it's looking like we may just use Albertville as a base camp and do day rides out from there!

507_0_4cdd0f81bd984_800_800_1289555841.gif

savoie.gif
grenoble.gif
alps_en.gif

Not quite in the French Alps but about 20 miles to the SW of Grenoble is the Vercors National Park with a nice bike friendly hotel right in the centre. Hotel Le Marronnier makes a nice base for a couple of days pleasant riding on really obscure roads as can be seen on this site. Alpineroads.com held their get together there this year.

Not quite in the French Alps but about 20 miles to the SW of Grenoble is the Vercors National Park with a nice bike friendly hotel right in the centre. Hotel Le Marronnier makes a nice base for a couple of days pleasant riding on really obscure roads as can be seen on this site. Alpineroads.com held their get together there this year.
Dear David, Thank you so much for your inside information on riding the Alps, I know you know those roads well. I've modified the trip itinerary below to reflect your suggestion of Vercors National Park. I know the routing well for the 1st week of the trip, that is old hat to me having ridden it many times. But if you see anything you would rearrange in the French Alps 2nd week, please let me know. Your Good Friend Dr. Bob Flanders, from Stef-Teerex51's Pyrenees Ride, hopefully be along for this Alps jaunt too. AZB Members Bruce Cain and Gary "Mudslide" Miller are already a GO.

On 1/1/12 I am going to post up an FJR Forum Group and AZB Forum Group Ride to Europe for 2013; I figure this trip to be between $4K to $6K so folks will have to budget ahead of time.

I know the Alps and Dolomites extremely well, I lived in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany for two full years and I have ridden these areas often.

Where I have no riding knowledge is France, except riding from Germany to London and Germany to Madrid; done it many times, but at high speed.

If you draw a line between Aletschorn, Matterhorn and Lago Maggiore: Everything Southwest of that line is "No Man's Land" to Chuy; never ridden there.

European Alps Tour June 22 to July 7, 2013; Two Options.

September 16, 2011

June 22, 2013–Saturday: Fly from North America to Frankfurt.

6/23-Sunday: Arrive in Frankfurt, train to Heidelberg (Kircheim) and spend the night at Knopf Motorradriesen Bed and Breakfast. https://www.knopftours.com

6/24-Monday: Rent our motos from Stefan Knopf; Autobahn - WFO to Salzburg, Austria

6/25-Tuesday: Bolzano, Italia. Bagging Grossglockner on the way South.

6/26-Wednesday: Bolzano,IT spend the day bagging passes within 200 klicks.

6/27-Thursday: https://www.zuoz.org/english/ Pick up Passo di Stelvio and Others.

6/28-Friday: Andermatt, Switzerland. Bagging the high passes all day long.

6/29-Saturday: Andermatt; One week option folks hit the high speed Autobahn back to Heidelberg; the two week option riders will spend the day bagging more Swiss passes.

June 30, 2013-Sunday: The one weekers are taken to Der Flughafen by Stefan in his van, for early departures back to North America. Two week folks ride to Martigny, France.

July 1-Monday: Valloire, FR.

7/2-Tuesday: Vercors National Park, FR.

7/3-Wednesday: Vercors National Park, FR.

7/4-Thursday: Albertville, FR.

7/5-Friday: Zurich, Schweizland. Papa Chuy loves Zurich. Schnitzel, strudel und Biere!

7/6-Saturday: Wide Freaking Open run back to Kircheim; night at Stefan's Lodgings.

7/7-Sunday: Stefan Knopf runs us to up to Frankfurt Airport; fly to North America.

These are the type of roads you will find in the Vercors

The Hotel le Marronnier is in the village of Rencurel in the top left of this map roughly where the gorges de la Bourne is marked.

I still hope to make it across to NAFO next year so I'll make sure to bring some maps with me and we can discuss it over a bottle (or two) of Poteen

On 1/1/12 I am going to post up an FJR Forum Group and AZB Forum Group Ride to Europe for 2013; I figure this trip to be between $4K to $6K so folks will have to budget ahead of time.

I assume that is figured for one person for one bike for the two week option...not including air fare to the continent.

If wifey came along for this ride, and we rented an RT...based on your experience, what would you budget roughly for additional costs for the two week option?

Just trying to get ballpark figures to see if this is attainable...

I assume that is figured for one person for one bike for the two week option...not including air fare to the continent.

If wifey came along for this ride, and we rented an RT...based on your experience, what would you budget roughly for additional costs for the two week option?

Just trying to get ballpark figures to see if this is attainable...
Wheatie, the $4 to 6K, depending on the one week or two week option, was based upon each person rooming double occupancy. Uri, Sylvia, Bob, Dave and I stayed in places that were around 100 USD a night - so you need to add 50 USD a night for your wife. So, if you and your wife went with the one week option you would have the base $4K plus $350 added for your wife for the seven nights you would be in Europe.

Please Note: All hotels in Europe that we AZ Beemers stayed at had breakfast included and we "pigged out" at the included breakfasts, so our lunch only consisted of coffee and pastries for $5.

Figure your evening meal at $10 and a drink for $5: So you are adding another $160 for your wife's evening meal. I have already figured a daily fuel allowance of $35 into the $4K and $6K amounts.

The airfare was included for one person using a factor of $750, so add that factor in: But at this time, airfare pricing is truly a wild ass guess. Our Alps Ride was back in May of 2007.

When Uri Schumm and I planned the AZ Beemers Alps Trip we were shooting for a total price of $3K for each person who was not a couple riding two up on a motorcycle. And we came pretty damn close: Dave, Bob and I each spent $3,300 for our Alps trip. But remember, "Los Tres Amigos" probably spent our extra $300 on alcohol.

Uri, Dave and I all rented BMW RT's, the same bikes we ride at home. Dave Cooley rented a BMW R1200GS, the same moto he rides back in Arizona. So the RT/GS was already factored in, both models rent for the same price from Stefan Knopf in Heidelberg.

Thanks Don...that is very helpful for planning! :clapping:

You know, I think we may actually have a shot at doing this. I will have to cut my rides in 2012 down to long weekend regional rides, but that would be a small sacrifice for this once in a lifetime trip. :yahoo: