Fork Brace

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastpappy

Reaction score
Before I get roasted I did attempt to search both with google and within the forum and didn't see any recent info. I'd like to get some opinions about fork braces. Do they add anything? Do we need them? I was considering lowering the suspension and have kouba Links in hand just never installed them as I'm still on the fence as to how they will affect the handling. I also thought if I do indeed drop the rear I would also need to drop the front and thought the fork brace would help to keep things more stable, "maybe". What say ye! :huh:

I know a couple of owners who have lowered their bikes an not noticed any major difference. However....they are not particularly aggressive riders nor are they "large" people (hence the need to lower the bike).

I used to have a fork brace on mine because I could feel the front end wander in hard cornering. When I upgraded the fork springs and raised the oil viscosity I decided not to re-install the fork brace. Everything has been fine for me (and yes, I still occasionally "push" on twisty roads).

So much of what you ask will depend on your style of riding. My bet is that if you are not the type to ride fairly aggressive you won't notice much difference. BUT, I've been wrong before.

I installed a fork brace a couple years ago and noticed a not insignificant difference even in my commute ride. I enjoy a precise handling bike and the fork brace did improve the precision of the handling.

I like mine alot...on my cruiser I purchased a "superbrace" for it, but my Feej came with it when I purchased it from SouthernCruiser in the fall of '08.

Mainly, I think I look faster on a bike with a fork brace... :rolleyes:

And I figure, at some point, I'll find a cool farkle that I can mount on it... :yahoo:

I've been running a SuperBrace for years, and really believe it makes a lot of difference, in handling, feel and even some tire wear.

Fork brace made a huge difference in carving corners rather than wallowing through them prior to installing upgraded suspension. Properly sprung suspension eliminated the need for the brace. I did tend to eat tires faster when I had the brace, but don't know whether that was the fault of the brace or just that I had time to ride the twisties more (when I was running the brace) than I do now.

I've got a Superbrace and I am not really sure what difference, if any it has made.

Of course I am dolt.

For a stock fork and riding hard on the twisties, yes, fork brace will help if you also tightened your rebound and compression rate.

Yes I've done the adjustments just thought the brace would add a little extra. Thanks for the input folks I guess I'll make a decision based on the funds at hand at the time since I'm not ready to re-spring the front just yet maybe I'll go for the brace. Like any other farkle "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it ". :lol:

You were a younger man then, Patrick.Now you're old.

Like MadMike.

:D
BASTIDGE - I may be well past middle age given my family history - but then you add, "Like MadMike"?!

Beard is getting pretty gray, but I haven't yet assaulted any loudmouth punks on public transit and I never, ever write in pirate-speak...

BASTIDGE - I may be well past middle age given my family history - but then you add, "Like MadMike"?!
Beard is getting pretty gray, but I haven't yet assaulted any loudmouth punks on public transit and I never, ever write in pirate-speak...
Avast, matey! Belay that idee lest ye git yer timbers shivered. :dribble:

I couldn't tell much difference at all after I installed a superbrace on my 04. Have an 08 now and it seems fine without one.

GP

Annnndddd....

I wonder what the difference is between the cost of the fork brace vs. the cost and installation of new fork springs (I have Eibach)? :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Annnndddd....
I wonder what the difference is between the cost of the fork brace vs. the cost and installation of new fork springs (I have Eibach)? :dntknw:
Depends on which brace you get - I've seen them range from $100 to $250. Springs are usually in the $100 range, but it's the revalving which costs big $$$.

Annnndddd....
Depends on which brace you get - I've seen them range from $100 to $250. Springs are usually in the $100 range, but it's the revalving which costs big $$$.
That is my point. I replaced the fork springs and raised the fork oil viscosity and it has made a world of difference for my FJR and for my style of riding.

I'm not the most aggressive rider, yet I noticed a vast difference in handling and control. If one didn't want to spend the money for revalving, for others who are [s[cheap[/s] thrifty budget minded like I am, the option of changing springs and oil might be money better spent and better affect the handling/load capacity of the bike.

Just my $.02 but I'm not a motorcycle mechanic or engineer, not have I ever played one on television.

Last edited by a moderator: