Fork removal w/o fairing removal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodtime

Reaction score
Ok, I have the dreaded fork seal leak on my 03, specifically the right side. I have read the tech info on fork removal and of course front wheel, brake and fender removal. I haven't seen any reference to anyone removing their forks without removing their complete upper and lower fairings. If I can get my hand and an allen wrench in between the fairings and forks to loosen the upper and lower fork clamps it seems I could accomplish fork removal without anyother dissasembly. The only drawback I see would be not being able to properly torque the bolts when putting the forks back in. What am I missing here? Oh and the dealer estimated $400 for fork seal replacement with forks on bike and $150 off bike.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I have the dreaded fork seal leak on my 03, specifically the right side. I have read the tech info on fork removal and of course front wheel, brake and fender removal. I haven't seen any reference to anyone removing their forks without removing their complete upper and lower fairings. If I can get my hand and an allen wrench in between the fairings and forks to loosen the upper and lower fork clamps it seems I could accomplish fork removal without anyother dissasembly. The only drawback I see would be not being able to properly torque the bolts when putting the forks back in. What am I missing here? Oh and the dealer estimated $400 for fork seal repair with forks on bike and $150 off bike.Thanks
Good news. You aren't missing anything, it's just harder to torque those lower clamps is all.

I've done it twice now and I'll be damned if my forks have yet to slip out while riding on the rear tire.. ;)

Save the dough for good things like beer.

:jester:

Taken off and put back on two or three times here. Stubby socket driver and allen attachment....I just live without torquing the bottom bolts to spec and do it by feel. 120K and no issues so far. :)

Ok, thanks guys. I also did some more searching and also found some pics.

I'll build a stand and get at it.

On the 2006+ models, you can definitely get a torque wrench on all the bolts, without removing any of the plastic. Done it twice.

I had to remove the battery to re-torque my forks, otherwise it was a brease. If you have a small allen socket (not to tall) it will be no problem. Mine was too big (Ahhh never mind) :p so had to remove the battery for room.

BTW - Don't forget to tighten the battery terminals again, don't ask me how I know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed & replaced my fork tubes without removing any plastic.

It takes a little patience finding the right position to allow the torque wrench room to operate.

[SIZE=8pt]I was going to say it was "tight" but I knew that Bust would be "all over" that statement.....he likes it that way, hence, revolving sheep.[/SIZE]