Rebound Dampening Adjuster during Fork Seal Replacement on Gen I

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
My buddy Byron came over yesterday with his '05 for a shop day. We replaced the fork seals, bled/flushed the clutch and brakes, changed spark plugs, flushed coolant, and greased the pivot points for the rear brake and shifter assy.

I made two bone headed mistakes for the fork seal job:

1. On the first fork, I drove the upper bushing into the lower fork leg BEFORE I inserted the upper fork tube into the lower fork leg. Ooopsie. We pryed the upper bushing back out with a screw driver against the top lip of the lower fork, using some rubber sheet material to protect the lower fork. Since the bushing was destroyed, we just re-used the old bushing and are hoping for the best (it didn't have much scratches on it - we'll see).

Lesson learned.

2. On the 2nd fork, I backed out the rebound dampening adjustment on the lower fork ALL THE WAY out (past the end of the clicking). That loosened the entire assy., but it didn't come out of the fork. After we put everything back together, I forgot to tighten up that assy and re-adjust to the previous dampening setting. When Byron rode the bike around the block to check it out, upon his return, we identified a trail of fork oil on that side. Oh shit - the entire assy fell out of the lower fork. We were able to recover it and re-install it.

My questions are:

1. How do I know I got all of the pieces? On a typical parts breakdown microfiche, I don't see that particular assembly.

2. I believe the way it's supposed to work is that you can unscrew (adjust counterclockwise) the adjuster (which has the point on the end of it) to allow a little more oil to the center tube (for more dampening). Then if you keep unscrewing the assembly, the entire thing comes out. I just want to verify that I understand that correctly. I admit that I'm doing a crappy job explaining myself, but any help would be appreciated.

So I have to remove that fork tube and re-fill it with oil. No biggie, but I want to make sure I've got the rest of the story straight.

thanks.

just replaced my fork sealz---no need to pull the bushings.....remove cap,spring, dust cover, circlip...extend fork and fill with....[i used kerosene]..replace cap.and find some way to compress the fork....[hydraulic press, bottle jack...anything that works]. seal will pop out far enough to grab it and pry it out...protect the knob on the cap with a socket when compressing. This is especially handy on a Gen II which has a middle bushing

can't speak to the damping adjuster...isn't that for compression damping?