freeze ride in Ohio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRfarrier

Reaction score
Today in Ohio, the forecasted high was around 32*. And that was before the wind decided to blow. So what do 2 FJR riders decide to do? Go for a ride. 230 miles worth. We left the NW area at 8am, with snow particles falling from the sky. We headed to Columbus, for a stop at Iron Pony.

B63E493B-7108-4C39-ADC2-718B6E41C62E_zps5n191f8c.jpg

Not a single other bike in the parking lot. I wonder why?

Just these 2 beautiful FJRs.

B53ECB67-1C6B-4298-B9D2-16D4167444D4_zps9yndibvu.jpg

Invested in a few more farkles and added some additional heated gear to the collection. Let's just say- I earned another t-shirt.
punk.gif

Then we ran on down the road to a huge (extremely busy) shopping area. Run into REI, and then lunch at BD's Mongolian Grill.

D0CEE225-F3B8-4A0E-BE31-221528BB3086_zpsrm7etwle.jpg

Still have some time to ride? We then headed west to Bellefountaine, and visited the ski slope there. They were in the process of making snow. That's how "nice" of a day it was.

9A5CB2FC-9B3A-4E26-8BC7-C4DB91DC083C_zps46fbxu6a.jpg

CA8690AE-03E0-4A03-AC2C-DB84D122E792_zpsexdfcahd.jpg

Then we headed back north. At 5pm, I pulled back into my town, and ended up with a total of 230 miles. The other rider still has another 130 miles to get home tonight.

The temp gauge hovered between 25* and 30* for the whole day. Luckily, the sun was shining- so that helped with the mind over matter factor.

Would I do it again? heck yes. With the right gear (which includes heated jacket liner, heated pant liner, and heated socks), and with the bike set up like it is- the ride was not too bad. Yes, I would have preferred it warmer. But, you play the cards you are dealt. Next time, I will put the handlebar muffs on. But today, I wanted to see just how well the hand-guards and heated grips work in these temps. Note to self- anything below 40 and windy, put the muffs on!!

So how many other bikes did we see while we were out riding? none. absolutely none.

How many times did someone say something to us about it being cold? a lot. I lost count after the first 14.

It's not very often that on December 19th in Ohio, you are given the opportunity to ride for this distance and time. And I believe we only crossed over a few bridges that had been juiced. It was clean and clear riding for the majority of the day.

So I am liking this whole El Nino thing. I just wish that the coldest day of the season (so far) wasn't on the day that we were available and planned to do this. But a little cold won't stop a couple of crazies.

And according to the weatherman's future forecast... It looks like it will be decent enough riding weather for the rest of the year!!

Props to FjrFarrier! Not everyone is up for what you two rode today - and you did. Be sure to check on your bud that he made it safely home too?

Nice ride report and well done. I like the picture of the snow guns at Mad River trying to make a Christmas Holiday happen. The sun did not break out here until late afternoon, but I expect the coming week to be decent for temperatures, and the forecast is into the 60s as we get into next week.

We had icy streets all over Cleveland today. I don't think the temp ever got above 36degs all day.

Who was the other rider?

Hope to see you at the M/C show in Jan..

Ha! I just realized that I never acknowledged who the other crazy person was.

It was extrememarine.

And he has made it home safely.

I was at Iron Pony today also but on four wheels. I picked up bearings and seals that I am replacing in my FJR's relay arm. I hope this mild winter weater continues. Carl

I'm home now. Once the sun set, I lit the afterburners AND the warp drive for the sprint home..

Thawing out with some Maker's Mark...

Friday at the office:

2015-12-18%2015.46.14_zpsjchkmadm.jpg

Rode south through that blue stuff (that was actually white when it hits the road).

2015-12-18%2018.19.55_zpsxahaxhq6.png

Making snow...

IMG_1677_zpsp2cog2hu.jpg

Yeah, it was cold...

IMG_1679_zpsok5dpv9x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice post. I pull the plug down here at 45 degrees and feel like a light weight now after reading this post. Kudos to you two for your dedication!

I was one of the original "Frosty Balls" ride with HaulinAshe, Fencer, Scab, and JWilly; I haven't figured out how to call this ride that without offending Ms Farrier...

And since I had to ride another 130 miles once Julie was home and toasty, I think we answered your question.

AND since Julie got a free T-shirt at Iron Pony, we know who's wallet was open wider...

Ride theme "Farm girl takes Marine out to see who's tougher"..... and to see who could keep their wallet in their pocket at Iron Pony. That would be tough.

I was one of the original "Frosty Balls" ride with HaulinAshe, Fencer, Scab, and JWilly; I haven't figured out how to call this ride that without offending Ms Farrier...
And since I had to ride another 130 miles once Julie was home and toasty, I think we answered your question.

AND since Julie got a free T-shirt at Iron Pony, we know who's wallet was open wider...

Ride theme "Farm girl takes Marine out to see who's tougher"..... and to see who could keep their wallet in their pocket at Iron Pony. That would be tough.
Yes. Wayne had a few more miles to ride. Because we chose to ride in Ohio. Because it's better down here. And Wayne didn't have heated pants (unlike this smart female). So it's his fault if he got frosty "down there".

And the Iron Pony- that's called smart shopping. They were offering a free mug with the purchase of a $100 gift card. So I did that. So that then brought my total above the $150 line for a free t-shirt.

So I got a free mug, a free t-shirt, all while $100 went back into my wallet. (Because we all know I will be back later to spend more money there). So we can call that being a savvy shopper!!

So it was a case of "Brain vs Brawn"

Latest posts