Fricken tires...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See post #13 for my mea culpa and update on mileage. Actual mileage is 8000, sorry for the error.

Thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. Still wonder why there is some much variation between folks tire wear. I ride 2 up about 1/3 the time and that would be mostly on trips on mostly 2 lane roads. I check tire pressure regularly and pretty sure my alignment is good. A tiny bit throttle happy and usually breaking the limit by 15-25 mph.

Now you've made me mad as to why I don't get more miles out of a set. I always check air pressue, always run the 1/4 twice on the way to work and back and make sure it still redlines in all gears @ least once a week. Just can't figure it out.

PS My pillion quit riding with me after some issues @ CFO. :unsure:

Dale

there's something wrong with my bike...it just doesn't wanna turn

(PR2 with 15.3k miles)

4730877418_9bfb742c26.jpg

What about speed... does it have adverse tire wear if say you are at 100 plus more often???
OR

If same riding distance on slab but one is 85-90mph and other is 65-70mph???

Reble
that is against the law...I would never engage in such behavior :rolleyes:

The law is so subjective... all in the intrepretation!!!!

When the officer asked "just how fast were you going on the straight stretch back there??? I could see you but to far for radar to pick up." I said "I won't admit to anything but..." then show him the Highest speed recorded from the GPS... 126mph!!!!

Tell him you are more interested in Average Moving Speed rather than "Speed Limit".

:lmaosmiley:

What about speed... does it have adverse tire wear if say you are at 100 plus more often???
OR

If same riding distance on slab but one is 85-90mph and other is 65-70mph???

Reble
that is against the law...I would never engage in such behavior :rolleyes:

The law is so subjective... all in the intrepretation!!!!

When the officer asked "just how fast were you going on the straight stretch back there??? I could see you but to far for radar to pick up." I said "I won't admit to anything but..." then show him the Highest speed recorded from the GPS... 126mph!!!!

Tell him you are more interested in Average Moving Speed rather than "Speed Limit".

:lmaosmiley:
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...=116869&hl=

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=117051

Mine was in NM east of Taos last month. He never even had to put the car in gear... I saw him sitting on top of the hill in a pulloff so I just pulled up to his door when I saw he was putting it in gear. 88 in a 60... I am one of the first to tell you when I did wrong and I arned that ticket if he chose to write it. He never even took my lic. The good thing for me, there was no traffic at all, had not passed a car coming the other direction for 15 miles or more. Had not come up anything going my way for 20 miles. He was the one asking what speed I was hitting on the previous straight and showed him the GPS reading.

Taos has LOTS of coverage by State Troopers!!!

Back on topic....

Have 8,000 miles on PR2's and still have alot left. NM last month, Colorado this month and Mt. Rushmore in Sept.

Ordered new set from RockyMountainatvmc dot com $218. WOW! Great price.

Reble

Top speed doesn't seem to matter that much if the tires are properly inflated.

Acceleration RATE is the key. If you like to accelerate rapidly it tends to wear the center of the rear tire. Even though you don't FEEL the tire spin, with the torque delivered by this bike, the rear tire can rotate faster than the bike is accelerating and it is slipping ever so slightly.

Those who gently accelerate from a stop get much better tire mileage than those who "tiwst and shout". But where's the fun in that?!?!?!

FWIW, I just replaced both PR2s in the last month. Got 3,381 miles out of the rear, and 4,450 out of the front. Didn't like the handling or shake of the front tire the last 800-1,000 miles, but it was better than my Bridgestone 021 front at the end of its' life. I am diligent about tire pressure (42/42), ride 2-up 15% of the time, rarely run fully loaded (not THAT kind of loaded), but do hit the twisties with zeal. Geez, if I didn't want to rip it up once in a while, I'd have a cruiser, or GoldWing, or convertible.

Just checked last week and I've got about 10K miles on my PR2s; haven't hit the wear bars yet. Have a set of Angels ready to go when they do.

I cannot understand why I get such shitty rear tire mileage. Was really expecting 7 - 8000 miles out this highly touted rubber. Running 41# front and 42# rear so that should not be the problem. Wassup?

Welcome to the club. That is High Mileage for me as the Pirelli Diablos I ran only got around 3k on the rear. Pr2's get me to 4k and I am thrilled with that. Probably why people try car tires / wheel barrow tires / tractor tires or whatever the newest thing is to save a few bucks. These things just eat tires if you ride them hard.