Front End rattle/feedback, throttle & shifting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason389

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie to the feejer, been riding street and dirt for 25 years. I've wanted a feejer since the 1st time I rode one.

I finally got my wish (had to buy the wife new furniture) and picked up an '07 w/ 6400 miles about 5 weeks ago. This weekend, my buddy and I put on about 250 miles in the North GA mountains (Helen, Suches - he has an '08 FJR w/ 4800 miles). We swapped bikes to see if he liked my Vstream shield, and I noticed a couple of differences between the bikes and I was hoping to tap into the vast knowledge here to help me figure out where to go.

I have worked on bikes and cars, so I'm not ignorant of things mechanical. I just am new to the nuances of this great bike.

His bike seems to have better throttle response, or reallly I should say a smoother throttle. Also, his backlash is not nearly as bad as mine in the shaft drive. With my bike I have to work hard to shift smoothly and not get a jerk/ lurch. With his, I didn't even have to think about it, smooth as butter. I'm wondering if there is any adjustement for the backlash in the shaft, or should I look elsewhwere? Is the throttle setup the same?

And now to the worst part. My bike is giving me feedback in the front end, as well as a roaring noise. I checked the brakes, they're fine. The tire seems ok, and the wheel spins freely, no bearing noise. It almost feels as if the steering head bearings are not tight enough (I will def. be checking these). When I braked hard, especially going down the mtn on a steep grade, I got a wobble/ vibration - really not a vibration so much as a back and forth shaking or movement in the front end. This is definitely not any kind of rotor bounce, it is in the front end. I wouldn't think this would need servicing with under 7k on the bike, but I could be wrong.

THe roaring seems to be louder when turning - I can only hear it with the shield up and earplugs out, but it is loud in that case. I said the tire is ok - it has some mild cupping and I'm gonna replace it, but I don't think that's the source (it's a bridgestone battlax).

I haven't messed with the suspension yet - I'm sure it needs tweaking. I am reading another post now about the recommended susp settings - I know that's a hot topic. I don't think this is the source of my problem either, but I'm open to and asking for advice.

The shifting/ lurching/ backlash was already bothering me - riding his bike just confirmed how bad it is. Same w/ susp issues.

PS I'm about 230 pounds and had maybe 10 lbs of gear in the bags, if that.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/ advice / tips/ tricks/ berating, etc.

-Jason

Statesboro, GA

The '08 fixed an 'issue' with the '06/'07 throttle that may be a part of what you are noticing. Google "G2 Throttle Tube" for a solution (note: check vendor forum for a discount at bikeeffects.com.) Haven't got mine yet but it's on the winter farkle list. (I'll have lots of time as we can't ride much between November and May. :( ) Lots of info on it and the benefits it provides in various threads in the forums.

I had the same problem with my stock Battlax. When the tire was new it was smooth as silk. I took a 2400 mile ride, mostly straight, and the tire got a flat spot in the middle. The bike developed a horible front end wobble on decel at about 50 miles per hour. I rode it hard for about 300 miles in the curves and got rid of the flat spot in the middle and most of the wobble went away. The tire was worn out at 4200 miles and I replaced it with a Michelin PR2. When I switched to the PR2 front tire it was smooth as silk again. I just hope the PR2 will last longer than 4200 miles.

Does your buddy have a stock windshield? I noticed after putting on a Cal-Sci medium shield I could hear a lot more engine/tire noise due to the decrease in wind noise. Tire selection can make a big difference too. Also check your steering stem nut, mine was pretty loose and I'd get a clunking sound when hitting the front brake at low speed. Wouldn't hurt to check the steering bearings too. There's a thread about unwinding the center throttle return spring one revolution tha makes a HUGE difference in throttle effort. Good luck.

I bought an 07 six months ago which had cupped tires. I'm now on the 4th rear tire and waiting for the 6th front tire. In my case the quality of the shop and their equipment made a huge difference. I finally found a dealer with a careful tech and a calabrated balancer. They discovered the out of round Avon in the front and remounted the rear to get it to balance.

Back and forth shake in the bars is usually head bearings. I replaced mine at 11,000 miles. Roaring noise is louder with a larger shield. G2 tamer, plus the throttle spring adjustment makes a huge difference.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to replace the tire. I had diablo stradas on my last bike (SV1000S) and liked them, probably get them again. I spent about 2 hours last night reading on the suspension and adjusting it to the sport rider suggestions. Feels firmer, not nearly as mushy....although I'm wondering if that will make the "clunking" worse when I hit bumps.

I have read up on the G2 throttle tube and will be ordering that right quickly. Does the cam and tube come together, or do you have to buy each?

I have yet to check the head bearings but will be doing that this weekend. I have another ride to N. GA mtns planned Thanksgiving weekend so I want to have her purring.

I will probably try to adjust the throttle cable while I'm at it and order a madco throttle lock.

I fear I am developing the "FJR CLICK" my wife even said "why does this one sound clickier than your last one?" Gosh I guess that says it all. She calls everything either a thingy, a flux capacitor, or an AC DELCO. Of course when I rode with her the shield was all the way up.

I know once I get all these things Ironed out that I will have this bike for a long, long time.

PS is there any possibility that I need to rebuild the forks with only 7k?

-Jason

Jason,

Congratulations on your FJR!

It is a good possiblity the Click you are hearing are probably the Floating Brake Pads. Before you spend any $$ have a fellow FJR rider look at it and/or ride it to confirm. You tend to hear a great deal more noises when the shield is in the All Up position where sounds get amplified.

Secondly, if you are concerned with the Throttle Adjustment, this may help as it did for me:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=220804

Many Happy Miles & Smiles to Ya.....

Good news first: I changed the clutch lever setting to 1 and shifted above 4000 rpm....helped some. The G2 is on the way.

I finally had a ride today to check out the new suspension settings. Bike definitely feels firmer and less mushy.

THe bad news: The rattling in the front end is much worse. The feedback in the front end when braking hard made me think she might even slide. I rode down a bumpy road and it sounded like the front end would fall off. I'm perplexed. When I suspended the front end and checked the whee/ fork assy for movement it moved very little. It clunks loudly - something is def not right.........

I am about to tear down the steering head and will report back. Any further suggestions appreciated.

PS just wondering why a new member with actual problems asking for help would be put straight into the "never-ending-pointless-recurring threads." I did search extensively for answers before I started my own thread, but I guess since someone may have posted something similar before I am being redundant and pointless. But I digress.

-Jason

very appreciative of help/suggesions "newbie"

A: I changed the clutch lever setting to 1 and shifted above 4000 rpm....helped some.
B: THe bad news: The rattling in the front end is much worse. The feedback in the front end when braking hard made me think she might even slide.

I rode down a bumpy road and it sounded like the front end would fall off. I'm perplexed.
A: good, but adjusting the lever position isn't the same as taking out the freeplay in the throttle cable.

There's a rubber sleaved 'blister' about 5" below the right grip;

pull the rubber back and adjust it to ~zero slack (when you barely touch the grip the engine responds).

B: grab the front brake rotors and try to move/wiggle them independently of the front axle.

Does one click / click? If so it may be the floating rivets connecting the rotors to the wheel are defective.

One side on my bike were - apparently an uncommon occurrence. Hope you have YES warranty.

Only showed up for me at very low speed, like over gravel or parking lot cracks, but I'm easy on brake wear.

best

Today I adjusted the throttle cable to about zero freeplay but couldn't ride due to heavy rain all day and I ain't ridin in that unless I gotta.

G2 should be in soon. Can't wait to try it out. Tore down steering head, nut was tight (lower bearing nut) but not real tight. Gave her another half turn (have torque wrench but not the spanner wrench). Front tire on order. Oh, yeah, broke one of the bolts that came w/ my risers (regualr 1/2 wrench, no air gun or anything....snapped like a twig - replaced them w/ some grade 8's).

Still to do....loosen throttle return spring by 1 turn, replace tire.

THanks for the help everyone, I'll get to see any improvements this coming weekend in Helen, Suchess GA at Wolfpen Gap.

-Jason