Front RoadSmart tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The RoadSmart is my 5th front tire in 46K miles.

I'll be fortunate if I get 6700 miles from the RoadSmart.

Original BT020 = 9500 miles

Next BT020 = 8900

Pilot Road = 10800

Diablo Strada = 11000

RoadSmart = 5800 and counting (already getting close to center wear bar)

A 1-1/4" wide center portion of the tire is wearing rapidly from braking I suppose. But I don't brake all that aggressively.

Just not a suitable tire for the FJR.

Dunlop should pull it off the market for the FJR.

The RoadSmart is my 5th front tire in 46K miles.
I'll be fortunate if I get 6700 miles from the RoadSmart.

Original BT020 = 9500 miles

Next BT020 = 8900

Pilot Road = 10800

Diablo Strada = 11000

RoadSmart = 5800 and counting (already getting close to center wear bar)

A 1-1/4" wide center portion of the tire is wearing rapidly from braking I suppose. But I don't brake all that aggressively.

Just not a suitable tire for the FJR.

Dunlop should pull it off the market for the FJR.
My front Roadsmart surprised me by staying ahead of the wear bars for an additional thousand past what I thought it would do, but I've never gotten miles out of a front the way you do.

You get twice the miles most people get and you complain???

Get out there and learn to ride the bike like it was intended. Find some curves and some right hand..... You need to wear them suckers out much faster. They are lasting way too long for a FJR.

got 3k from the OEM BT020 (back going very strong at 6500. switched to the Roadsmart and at 3500 it looks like it will get another 1000 miles. of course it s the sides that go first. then i just ride the interstates to finish off the tire. :D

I got 8k out of mine and it still had another 1000 in it but I was going on a long trip and did not want to push it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get out there and learn to ride the bike like it was intended. Find some curves and some right hand..... You need to wear them suckers out much faster. They are lasting way too long for a FJR.
You do realize that he is speaking about the front tire & not rear tire, right?

Pay no attention to the squids Constant Mesh. The RoadSmarts suck. Anything round and black will do for the "wear tires out in 3k crowd" They just like to have fun thrashing their local fun roads is all. Not a bad thing, just not the same as people that go places.

Forget about the refund. I felt that way about the Storm rear that only lasted 6k too. Never mind the RoadSmart front with it's funky three banded wear and lumpy cupping. If you took the tire back in at 2-3k with the weird wear, they might have been gracious enough to give you another POS RoadSmart, but that's not really a solution, is it? :angry2:

Live and Learn. We all find out what tires work for us, or don't. Searching the forum before buying sometimes helps avoid crap tires, but not always. Seems like no one has enough miles on a new choice when I need one to know if it's good or bad.

That's why I use a Strada on the front with the Roadsmart rears. Last Strada front did 9k miles and still had 2/32" left on it. The Roadsmaht rear that I have on right now has 8k miles on it and less than 1/32" of tread. I have a fresh one waiting to be popped on when I get motivated enough...

The only disadvantage of the RS rear is that it is pretty hard in that center compound area, so the ABS does seem to activate a bit earlier on the back wheel. That is the price one pays to get that kind of mileage out of a rear tire on an FJR.

I'll take 5800 any day after having to replace a full set btween 3 and 4 k on my Bandit. I am loving what I am reading about the milage people are getting on the FJR. Proper tire pressure is probably the most important thing when it comes to even tire wear. Under inflation is one of the biggist contributors to cupping or scalloping in the front. It will do it to the back too.

5800 and not at the wear bars is very good. At 4980 both the front and rear were smooth about 1 inch wide down the middle. The second set made it to 5075 to have the same results. You are actually getting good results if you can make 6K out of a set.

The Roadsmart front is wearing so much faster than any of my previous tires. And I ran the BT020's at lower pressures, reducing their mileage. Other than upping the pressure my riding parameters/style haven't changed.

The Roadsmart rear is doing OK, not as well as others I've had. It had about 6.5 mm of center tread when new. Now after 6400 miles it has 3 mm of center tread. At that rate I should get about 10500 miles from it.

The two previous rears were a BT020U and a Diablo Strada.

BT020U = 11850 miles

Strada = 11950

I got a lot of miles/$ on the BT020U. Much better than the BT020N specified for the FJR.

I might buy another Roadsmart rear if the price is right. Right now the delivered price (free shipping) of a rear is $125 from my mail order vendor.

You do realize that he is speaking about the front tire & not rear tire, right?

Yep, I'm amazed by people getting 10K from a sport touring bike tire. Must be all highway in cool temps and light throttle, what a dull ride.. Ain't very sporting.... On highway runs I could get 8K due to all the constant throttle. Me and my ridding buddies average 5 to 6K per set and have done so for many years riding many bikes with many tire brands in all conditions.

I'll shut up now, shouldn't even look at these never ending point less threads... Ya'll have fun :rolleyes: