Fuel efficiency of the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every rider has habits that affect "the Number".

All other things being equal, altitude is the most significant factor that increases my MPG - on both bikes.

Once I get away from sea level, fuel economy goes up. But on SoCal freeways my '03 averages 42-44.

Enjoy that new ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never gotten worse than 22mpg. NEVER!
There were a large number of '06 FJRs that NEVER got over an instantaneous mileage of 17 mpg. Then Yamaha figured out that there was a defect in the circuit and replaced all the meter assemblies to fix the problem.

Herm.. can't paste my fuelly.com in here. 46.6 U.S mpg on my 2013.

A little insight. Tires cost more per mile than gas does.

Bungie, you're running the wrong tire!!!

Gas mileage > 40mpg = $3.00 per gallon divide by 40 miles = $00.75 per gallon

Tire mileage > 50,000mi = $156.00 tire divided by 50,000 miles = $00.312 per mile

Don’t forget the rubber,

Set of 2 on the FJR => 7-8k miles at $400

Set of 4 on the Civic => 50k miles at $400

Total cost of operation, car (especially a Civic!) is much cheaper!

Let's cipher that realistically (and for those not daffy enough to run a car tire). Rears last me ~ 9k and cost ~$150 ($16.66 per k miles) Fronts around 12k miles and cost ~$110 ($9.16 / k miles). Assuming I mount them myself and change them only when they are worn out that's $25.83 per thousand miles for tires.

Assume 40 mpg (some days better, some days worse) so you'll burn 25 gallons to go the same distance. Gas is down to $3.10 around here right now, but that's a fluke. It'll be back up to 3.50 in no time. 25 x $3.50 is $87.50. Even at the artificially low prices right now the gas would cost 77.50 to cover a thousand miles So, gas is still the more expensive by a good margin. Even if you wore your tires out twice as fast as me they would still be cheaper than the gas.

Now... if you have to pay someone to install the tires, all bets are off. ;)

Bungie, you're running the wrong tire!!!
Gas mileage > 40mpg = $3.00 per gallon divide by 40 miles = $00.75 per gallon

Tire mileage > 50,000mi = $156.00 tire divided by 50,000 miles = $00.312 per mile
Betcha you wear a skirt with the car tire too.

Probably true, but I'm free-ballin' the whole time, ya wanker. :p

And Fred, just 'cause you bought THE WRONG TIRE, doesn't necessarily make Darksiders daffy. There are MANY other reasons. :finger:

All car tires are the wrong tire, for me. If you can tolerate them then more power to ya. (but you're still daffy
bleh.gif
)

F350 on a good day=12.5 mpg

Feejer worst case= 40 mpg.

I believe I got 16K out of my last set of PR2's. ($306.00 a set) I ran them almost two seasons. I am too tired to do the math.

Either way this bike owes me nothing at this point. Calculate the savings over 5 years and 72K+ miles.

Dave

YMMV but;

3 years living in Memphis= 40-42 mpg

3 years living in Cedar City= 45-54 mpg

Same bike.

It's the altitude.

Notable exceptions;

24 mpg while battling a strong headwind at 90+ mph in the OK panhandle.

50 mpg nursing home a rear tire with white stripe around the middle in the rain across AR.

Just under 17,000 miles in the past 9 weeks and it looks like 41 mpg average.

All kinds of roads from sea level to 11,000', mostly staying about 10 over the limit. Loaded with a reasonable amount of gear, all in side or tail bag. 2 weeks two up from Montreal to Key West.

No two people crank the throttle the same, even if they are riding side by side. Also, the ECU settings are not the same from year to year, sometimes in the same model year. Gas will also vary from place to place and time of year in the same brand. Throw in different altitudes, environmental issue, etc, it is extremely difficult to get apples to apples numbers. IMO, the best you can do is pick a couple one tank routes and run them over time keeping the numbers in a notebook. Then you will only get close to good numbers.

My Gen2 lifetime average was 41.8mpg. I was not happy nor dis-satisfied, it kept pace with my groups fuel stops, and that was my main concern.

Since my daily commute is with a Chevy Volt, I knew mileage (w any of my bikes) would never stack up, so I don't even think about the car vs. bikes, 2 different animals and purposes for me.

It's the aerodynamics. Cars, even sedans, generally have far lower coefficients of friction than do most motorcycles. We have the HP to weight ratio in our favor, but overcoming the air resistance eats into the fuel mileage.

The '05 has been averaging 41 to 43 mpg over 44,000 miles. The '14 is following in the same track, with an overall average for 42.5 for 6,700 miles. I can live with that.

Hotrodding will drastically reduce fuel mileage. I can spend an afternoon running backroads and see it dip to the mid-30s. A nasty head wind will yield low-40s or upper-30s.

Out riding with 3 FJR's ['10', '09', '07'] yesterday.

For some reason the '07' FJR drank a bunch more gas than the other two. The only mod is a G2 throttle tube.Think it's time to take a good look at the '07' to see if something is causing the difference.

Very disappointed in the mileage of my 2014. 2000km(1200 miles) in, a month of riding and, even trying to baby "Econo Mode", I've not seen better than 34mpg. To be fair, that's all been city stop and go riding but my two previous FJRs got 40+ easily in the same conditions.

Granted, I didn't buy the FJR for gas mileage but I'm befuddled why I'm getting so much lower numbers on this model.