FZ-1 Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topsyt

Reaction score
I currently have a stock Gen-1 FZ-1. I'd like to get an idea of the powerband of the FJR compared to the FZ-1. My FZ-1 is very weak below 3,500 RPM, starts picking it up around 5,000 RPM and really gets going at 7,000 RPM (all very rough estimates).

I haven't got to ride an FJR yet, and I'm hoping it has a lot more low-end to it, and would like to have something that I don't have to rev the heck out of it all the time.

What is the engine RPM while running 70 MPH?

What is red-line for the newer models?

Thanks

I currently have a stock Gen-1 FZ-1. I'd like to get an idea of the powerband of the FJR compared to the FZ-1. My FZ-1 is very weak below 3,500 RPM, starts picking it up around 5,000 RPM and really gets going at 7,000 RPM (all very rough estimates).
I haven't got to ride an FJR yet, and I'm hoping it has a lot more low-end to it, and would like to have something that I don't have to rev the heck out of it all the time.

What is the engine RPM while running 70 MPH?

What is red-line for the newer models?

Thanks

I can help with the last parts of your post. The redline on GenII (2006-2009) Fjrs is around 9K, rev limiter a little higher. The RPM at 70mph indicated is around 3600, and 70mph GPS'd is around 3800rpm.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can putz along between 3 & 5, above 5 it starts waking up. I typically cruise about 4k, but days in the twisties are usually in the 5-7 k range.

You can putz along between 3 & 5, above 5 it starts waking up. I typically cruise about 4k, but days in the twisties are usually in the 5-7 k range.

+1. I also had a gen 1 FZ1. The FJR has more torque over a broader rpm range, but they both get up and scoot! The FJR cruises at 4k, but is very happy to rev when you're ready. The FZ1 engine has some vibes around 5k, the FJR around 4k. To me, the FZ1 vibes were less intrusive, but the FJR vibes are tolerable. The FJR is much more comfortable on a long ride than the FZ1 - no comparison. I do the corners at about the same pace on both bikes, according to my wife who follows me on her FZ1.

For me the FJR replaced two bikes I had at the time - the FZ1 and an ST1100. It has all the good points of both in one package.

I too had an '04 FZ1 with Ivan's jet kit and slip ons. The FJR is MUCH stronger down low than the FZ1 was. I remember having to downshift in order to take off at anything other than a crawl on the FZ1. On the FJR I can takeoff at ~15 MPH in 4th. Not a lot of acceleration that low but the motor has the torque to do it without complaining. I did, however, find my FZ1 much more nimble than my FJR. The extra ~150 lbs. of the FJR are very noticeable in the twisties. Still, I love my FJR much more than my FZ1. On my FJR I can load it up and take a week long 4,000 mile vacation without any problems. I could never do that on the FZ.

I have owned both bikes. The FJR has more torque everywhere in the powerband and a very strong low end. The Fjr also has more comfort everywhere. The handling of the FJR is, in my opinion, very close to the FZ-1. The FJR does more things really well than any other bike that I have owned.

I have a stock '04 FJR and my friend has a GenI FZ1 with a pipe and jet.

On a privately owned closed course we have done numerous 1st gear roll ons and have found that from a 10-20 mph roll the '04 FJR moves out two to three lengths and can stay ahead way into third but when the FZ gets rolling it sports by with authority.

Now comes my '08 FJR that is stock with about 4,500 miles. From a 10-20 mph roll the FJR could not command that initial lead as the '04 did and the FZ pullled ahead about 1/2 way through first or the first part of second. Strange turn of events though the FZ got about a 2-3 length lead then could not pull away from the FJR.

After doing this a few times we were both very surprised at this turnover. We agreed to rematch after a few thousand more miles on the new FJR since the '04, which is now for sale, just kept getting better as the miles added up.

Even here at 5600 ft. in Littleton Colorado.and in the mountains,my 2007 will pull well in 5th gear at 2000-3000 rpm. It's a firm gentle pull, but you don't have to shift it if you don't want to. The bike has power everywhere,

I know you asked about the gen1 however I had a 06 gen 2 and can say the 08 fjr I now have has more low end torque all over in any gear, however from a stop running the gears the fjr feels stronger from 0 to 40+ mph however after that I must say the 06 fz1 feels stronger. I could do power wheelie's all day long at 50+ mph on the fz1 which had a top 1st gear speed of 87 mph. Never have done it but my prediction on a quarter mile race between the 08 fjr & 06 fz1 would go to the fz1 but not by much.

PS: The FZ1 I had put Ivan's FCE & PC3 on with a aftrermarket pipe & K&N filter :D

The FJR I've put a PC3 on & a K&N filter with Heli bar triple :D

The FJR is much more comfortable

I ride a 2006 FJR AE and a just got a 2008 FZ1 a few weeks back. I haven't really racked out the FZ much over 6K yet, but my impression is that the FJR is considerably faster with much less effort. I usually cruise city streets mostly in 3rd up to about 40 mph it has lots of scoot without doing anything but twisting the grip. I have to pay more attention to the revs on the FZ and it doesn't have all that much below 5K. The 150 or so extra pounds are apparent on the FJR, but mostly just when you have schlep it around with the motor off. It almost needs a reverse. You definitely need to back it in down sloping parking spots.

My fleet.

FZ1_4-13.jpg

I ride a 2006 FJR AE and a just got a 2008 FZ1 a few weeks back. I haven't really racked out the FZ much over 6K yet, but my impression is that the FJR is considerably faster with much less effort. I usually cruise city streets mostly in 3rd up to about 40 mph it has lots of scoot without doing anything but twisting the grip. I have to pay more attention to the revs on the FZ and it doesn't have all that much below 5K. The 150 or so extra pounds are apparent on the FJR, but mostly just when you have schlep it around with the motor off. It almost needs a reverse. You definitely need to back it in down sloping parking spots.
My fleet.

FZ1_4-13.jpg

I have an 08 FJR and my riding buddy has an 07 FZ1. His is considerably faster. I think once you wind your's out a bit your impression will change that the FJR is faster.

My fleet.

FZ1_4-13.jpg
Nice Miata (sorry, MX-5). I've got an NC, too. Mine is an 06 nordic green GT. Great car! Great minds think alike, and all that ;)

oh yeah, nice bikes, too. :)

I have an 08 FJR and my riding buddy has an 07 FZ1. His is considerably faster. I think once you wind your's out a bit your impression will change that the FJR is faster.
You are probably right, BTS. Although, the FZ is a bit more work to squeeze the power out. The more I ride it, the faster it gets. Low end torque isn't much but once it gets wrapped up it takes off pretty good.

Nice Miata (sorry, MX-5). I've got an NC, too. Mine is an 06 nordic green GT. Great car! Great minds think alike, and all that ;) oh yeah, nice bikes, too. :)
I don't mind calling it a Miata. Without exception, it is the most fun car I've ever driven. I liked the green, but here in Texas where I live, it was too close to black. It gets very hot in the summers here. Have you seen the new yellow ones? I like yellow race stuff.