FZ1 joins the stable

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKO

Reaction score
Well, I made a deal with Ridingfar, from FZ1OA, for his 2002 FZ1. He brought it from St. Louis to his brother-in-law's house outside Kansas City so I could pick it up Saturday. I was back home in Wichita by 1:30 PM and the temp was 56 so I had a chance to take it out for a quick spin. Courtney had it set up for a tall rider and it seems to fit pretty well. It handles noticeably lighter than my FJR, but lacks the low-end punch. It did seem to wake up at 5k RPM.

The Sargent seat feels good, but it'll take a longer ride to form a better opinion. The Micron can has a nice sound to it and the Ivan's jetting seems perfect. The bike has risers, throttle lock, heated grips, luggagge rack and Givi trunk.

It can be viewed here:

https://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75835

I'm looking forward to putting more miles on it.

One thing I really noticed is that you have to re-train yourself to ride and enter turns at a higher RPM.

With the FJR, you can just cruise right into a turn at 4-5k and have plenty of power on the exit.

With the FZ1 I enter turns closer to 7-8k, the exit is freeking nuts. With aftermaket exhaust, it took me some time to get used to listening to the rpm range. It really feels like your entering the turn faster when you hit it and the exhaust is already screaming.

If you want a quicker turn in, buy a set of dale walker adjustable dogbones, and raise it up .5 an inch.

I hope he came down on price a drop, even with all those accessories, that price is a little high for an 02.

Hope you enjoy the FZ as much as I love mine. For the money, these bikes are well worth it!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he came down on price a drop, even with all those accessories, that price is a little high for an 02.
I paid $4k for everything listed, including first right of refusal items and a shop manual. He also had a Givi trunk that wasn't listed that I bought for another $80 that mounts on the existing luggage rack. Seemed like a fair price.

4K is great with all those accessories. I figured between 4200-4500.

4k is nothing for a motorcycle when you consider our beloved FJR's MSRP!

Had an 01 Fz which was a great ride & now have an 06 which I like better. More aggressive sport bike without clip-on handlebars. Good choice!!

Had an 01 Fz which was a great ride & now have an 06 which I like better. More aggressive sport bike without clip-on handlebars. Good choice!!
I really want to ride a GENII someday just to compare. I sat on a GENII and it just doesn't feel as comfortable as the GENI.

I really think that Yamaha wanted to increase the gap between the FJR and the FZ1, and thus the more sporty FZ1 and more toury (is that a word?) FJR in 06...

I really want to ride a GENII someday just to compare. I sat on a GENII and it just doesn't feel as comfortable as the GENI.

I really think that Yamaha wanted to increase the gap between the FJR and the FZ1, and thus the more sporty FZ1 and more toury (is that a word?) FJR in 06...
I read that is exactly why the Gen II FZ1 is sportier. I sat on both before deciding on the Gen I. It was the ergonomics that pushed me to Gen I, and especially the one I bought which is set up for a tall rider. I read about the Ivan fixes for the FI on Gen II bikes, but I love the carbs with the Ivan jet kit matched to the Micron can on my Gen I. In many other performance categories the Gen II is superior and I like the the styling better. With my achey bones, comfort is a premium - even on a sport bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just sold my '02 with 38K on it for $3500 - it was in very good shape. The only mods were grip heaters and Ivan's jet kit.

I sold it because the FJR gives me everything I need in terms of fun and practicality - I just wasn't riding the FZ1.