Garmin 376

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomnap

Reaction score
I was trying to deceide between the 376 with built in XM and the 2610 and keep my Roady. I like the 2610 as it uses the Compact Flash card, and you can put in a 2 meg and load the US. I think the 376 is still using Garmin cards, and they aren't to big.

What is a fella to do?

Tom

I was looking considering the Quest2 over the 276C because of the smaller size and longer battery life when I'm out hiking and camping. But that 376C with the XM is pretty sweet. As I understand it, they aren't yet available but should be this month. I'd really like to see one before parting with my cash.

Tom,

Just to throw another choice into the mix. How about keeping the XM and getting the 2720. It's an update to the 2610 and I understand Garmin has changed the screen to a 'sunlight' readable' display. I was leaning towards the 376C myself until I heard about this. I have the same problem with the 376C, proprietary Garmin memory. :thumbdown:

Derek

Now, I'm even more confused. I really like the idea of Compact Flash cards, $100. and you can have the whole USA. Does Touratech make a mount for it???????????????

Totally Confused,

Tom

Is the 2720 water resistant? waterproof?
Same features as 2610 so it is water resistant and it comes with a nicer display, brighter under direct sunlight and also a much eaiser user interface.

Just a nice unit over all for the bike.

Info on the 2720 is still a bit sketchy. Garmin's site says it 750 megs of internal memory and it appears to have all of the US preloaded....but that doesn't make sense as it takes about 1.6 gig to load the entire US on the 2610. :confused:

I also haven't seen anything in print that says the 2720 will accept compact flash cards. We'll probably have to wait until the unit hits the shelves to get a better understanding of the improvements it has over the 2610.

Derek

Tom,
Just to throw another choice into the mix. How about keeping the XM and getting the 2720. It's an update to the 2610 and I understand Garmin has changed the screen to a 'sunlight' readable' display. I was leaning towards the 376C myself until I heard about this. I have the same problem with the 376C, proprietary Garmin memory. :thumbdown:

Derek
Here's a link for the 2720: https://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

I'm not seeing where it's also capable of receiving XM radio. Another drawback for me personally is that it can't be used as a hand held unit. Am I missing something here?

For drivers in congested metropolitan areas, Garmin is offering the GTM 10, an optional FM RDS-TMC traffic receiver that receives digital information (where available) on traffic, road construction, and weather-related tie-ups. The GTM 10 receives data from selected FM broadcast stations in select cities throughout the United States and Europe. This optional feature lets drivers see congested areas via a color-coded map. When connected to the GTM 10, the StreetPilot 2720 uses this data to automatically calculate and suggest alternative routes based on the traffic information.

No XM traffic, but it is cheaper if all you wish is traffic info. otherwise stick with the 376C

Last edited by a moderator:
James,

You've said the 2720 uses flash memory. But is that in the form of an expanable slot (compact flash) or is it a fixed internal memory?

Derek

I have been trying to research the available GPS units. I am thinking of getting a dual sport so a GPS that works off road is definetly of interest to me. The 276C (376C) has those features. Is the 276 C a lot harder (not pre loaded) than the 2720? Does the 2720 have more POI, and filling station info? The 2720 can be programed for EU. I have been considering a MC tour over there. Does the 2720 work at all off asphalt? Forest Roads etc. Thanks, TJ

Info on the 2720 is still a bit sketchy. Garmin's site says it 750 megs of internal memory and it appears to have all of the US preloaded....but that doesn't make sense as it takes about 1.6 gig to load the entire US on the 2610.

I think you got it wrong, the 750MB Garmin is referring to is FREE memory space for you to load Europe maps or anyother map you wish to, the unit comes PRELOADED with North America mapping software City Navigator which is the better NavTeq/Garmin mapping software with more attributes. I hope this helps, it is a plug and play unit, nothing to load if you are not going outside NA.

You've said the 2720 uses flash memory. But is that in the form of an expanable slot (compact flash) or is it a fixed internal memory?

There is a different between onboard flash memory compare to the compact flash memory. The flash memory is a fixed internal memory and it is much hardier then a hard drive or micro drive memory.