Gas tank leak, near the fuel hatch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolavine

Reaction score
I posted this before to the end of a discussion about a lower tank gas leak and no one responded.

So, I'm trying here and any advice, or related experiences, would be appreciated. I' ve been fixing my own bikes for decades and consider it a point of either honor, or stupidity depending on the outcome, to continue.

About a week ago the sidestand folded up while I was moving my FJR in the garage, lucky enough it ended up only down about 45 degrees suspended by some fairly soft garage type boxed junk that held it. However, I had just gassed it and a few ounces leaked out of the tank from the top hatch area before I got it back upright, in a few minutes. Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks, and if this was covered before somewhere I couldn't find it with the search, or though the clicky's, though there was some great stuff that will help me find the problem once I start investigating. But I'm not clear on how the system both vents air in while stopping fuel leaking out in a tipover?

I donno if the cap will prevent all spillage during a tip-over. If it normally will, maybe one of your seals was just not sitting exactly right; which never would have been a problem if the bike hadn't tipped. I donno if I would worry about this, unless it is leaking fuel while the bike is standing...

Latest posts