Gas Tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
Is the main gas tank structure interchangeable across all years? I realize they have different part numbers, but, I also know that Yamaha has different part numbers for the same parts if the color is different.

Is the main gas tank structure interchangeable across all years? I realize they have different part numbers, but, I also know that Yamaha has different part numbers for the same parts if the color is different.
No they are not interchangeable between the Gen I and Gen II models, but I think they are within the Gen I and Gen II years.

Hope that makes sense.

Lori

BKE CHK

Last edited by a moderator:
No they are not interchangeable between the Gen I and Gen II models, but I think they are within the Gen I and Gen II years.

Hope that makes sense.

Lori

BKE CHK
Yes...makes great sense. Thanks, Lori.

I'm not sure about all the FJR model years, but I know there's a difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 tanks. One thing for sure is the Gen2 tanks have a plastic rap-around piece along the bottom of the tank (perhaps for heat control). Different tank part numbers can also account for various colors too. Since the basic bike hasn't changed all that much over the years, [just guessing] the tanks may be interchangeable, assuming you don't mind the color difference.

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
Why aren't tanks interchangeable between Gens I and II?
I haven't compared them side-by-side, but they are visually different in shape. It may be related to the Jiffy Pop top, fuel bypass/rail diferences, and/or adjustable seat of the Gen 2. Also the fasteners holding the tank down on the top are different.

It may be they're still interchangable, but I'd be skeptical....especially with the fuel connector.....and check each piece before buying.