Gasp -- A "breathable Jacket" ????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey wpbfjr

Maybe you could try and find a more disgusting picture to share, jesus, that ruined my dinner, fuck, my whole evening. Form cute kittens to a severed head.

:puke: :puke:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, TT, did you get an answer you can live with. I ride the SAC Valley and use a mesh jacket. The evaporative vests work well in the dry heat we have here.

If you can afford it, go with cycleport...hard to beat Kevlar. The rest are decided with an eye on the "odds".

I also live in AZ and often ride in 100+ degree heat. :devil: I wear the Joe Rocket Phx 3.0 mesh jacket. I have tried the Sahara vest and it is very effective in the SW dry heat. I do like the idea of wetting a long sleeve cotton t-shirt. That seems like it would work well.

My biggest priorty in riding in the heat is wearing the UnderArmor underwear, not the t-shirt but the underwear. To me, that makes all the difference in the world over cotton underwear. Especially considering how much heat is generated around the seat of the FJR. That is all I wear now when riding in the summer. Keep in mind the underwear are more expensive $16 to $20 per pair, but well worth it. Anyone interested in a group buy? Ha ha ha :lmao:

another vote for First Gear Mesh Tex II - very versatile with the zip-in liner. Can ride down to 50 degrees with it.

Plus, I had a Joe Rocket and the First Gear is much better quality as far as seams and fitting me.

I have a Fieldsheer Mach 2 jacket. It's a mesh jacket with leather at the impact zones and hard (not foam) armor. It has a pretty big back protector in it (removable) and also has a removable liner.

I've got the First Gear Mesh Tex II jacket and trou. Ride in N. VA where this time of year it's hot and humid :dribble: I like both, but then I don't have much to compare them against. Still warm regardless, but then after a career in the Marine Corps seeing a bunch of odd things happen, I won't ride w/o protective gear - you never know...Got both at https://www.newenough.com/index2.htm they're really nice folks and give good service. I've also got the FG HT Overpant w/liner for colder riding, but haven't had the chance to check them out.

I've got a Joe Rocket Phoenix here in Charleston, SC. Very hot and extremely humid. Works as long as you have some movement.

I have the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar apparel and really love it. I feel very safe and it breathes quite well. Check out the "Save your hide" link at the website linked above. It's not cheap but neither are skin grafts. I have raved about this gear and ranted about so-called safety apparel before, so I won't get started again. I just pray that in the unfortunate event that you go down, the apparel you are in is up to the task of protecting you.
uh oh

Just read the cycleport website and it says:

"When other companies use words like Ballistic, Hypertex, and Rocktex they are hiding the actual material name. Using Polyester or standard nylon for riding apparel is not safe."

It also talks about Polyurethene melting into skin...ouch.

So Firstgear Kilamanjaro (my jacket) says:

"Ballistic nylons and polyesters provide weather proofing, abrasion resistance and colorfastness at value pricing."

Okay guys and gals, What's real and what is hype? I think it is clear that Cycleport puts out a high quality product, one of the best if not the best. But is the Firstgear Kilamanjaro really not safe as the Cycleport site would lead us to believe? I really don't know because I haven't skid across pavement and I don't want to go test it :D

I know my Kilamanjaro with pads in it is a lot safer than wearing a regular shirt...that is obvious, but is the level of safety not good enough? I figure it makes sense to have the best protection possible...maybe an upgrade is needed?

:clap: My my my my my !

What wonderful feedback from all of you (I think!) terrific men. So many choices now, and so little time.

If my work hours could change to ... say, 0600 to 0745, then things would really be groovey. Flight times all cool.

"No but seriously folks," ...... thanks for the many options.

I had not considered the evaporative cooling trick. Does that work if you just pee on yourself ? But I guess I would have to pee UPHILL to get wet on my chest.

A major factor in the safe riding style contest is that at 0630, the temperature is maybe 62, then at 1700 in San Francisco it's maybe 75 or 80 at the most at takeoff, and when I get near the carrier deck again it's about 100.

Quite the temperature spread, there.

I had not considered the evaporative cooling trick. Does that work if you just pee on yourself ?
LOL, TT -- I think you're confusing a SCUBA diving warming trick with a motorcycle maneuver that could seriously piss off (HAR!) the rider or driver following you!

A major factor in the safe riding style contest is that at 0630, the temperature is maybe 62, then at 1700 in San Francisco it's maybe 75 or 80 at the most at takeoff,  and when I get near the carrier deck again it's about 100. 
Quite the temperature spread, there.
Well, setting aside the debate about the relative safety of non-Kevlar mesh, the Joe Rocket Phoenix III may have the answer for that. It comes with a water and wind proof liner that snaps in (the Joe Rocket Ballistic model is similar but without the liner). With the liner in, the early morning ride would probably be just about right for you on a Feejer, even if you had to put the windscreen all the way up. In the afternoon, windscreen down, liner out, and maybe try the wet tee shirt trick (but don't pee on it).

Joe Rocket Phoenix. I haven't tried asphalt surfing but it doesn't feel any warmer as long as I'm moving at a decent pace. Kevlar sounds interesting though.

I use a First Gear Kilimanjaro Air Jacket. With the liner out is is just like wearing a T-shirt but you have full coverage and armor. Wet a long sleeve T and it is just like air conditioning. With the liner in I am good to 40 deg with just a shirt underneath. When it gets really cold then I put on the BMW long undies. This is the best jacket I have ever owned and its waterproof to boot.

Ride Safe.

Marc

Latest posts