Gasp -- A "breathable Jacket" ????

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasTigress

Reaction score
greetings from the land of often sunny and occasionally damned hot northern California.

Since we are in the early dog days of summer, but know that wearing a jacket is smart unless you do the 350 degree oven broiler routine in it, I thought I would ask if anyone knows of a (!) reasonably priced BREATHABLE jacket that also provides some protection from the hard ground owwwies.

My Joe Rocket has some solid Kevlar-feeling armor but it is so friggin HOT !

Any idears there, you bunch of galoots ? :clap:

I'm in Citrus Heights near Sacramento. Where in Northern California are you located? I've been riding home from work without my jacket because of the heat. I don't like it but 104 is just too hot! I'm watching this thread to see what these "in-the-know" guys come up with. They can fix anything! *smiles*

You don't specify which kind of Joe Rocket jacket it is.....but hopefully it's not a "mesh" jacket so that you have more options for breathability. If it is mesh already--I don't think there's a big technology jump available to you as they haven't figured out a way to make mesh armor just yet.

Assuming the idea of a mesh jacket is new to you--then you're in LUCK! Think Joe Rocket Rio jacket at New Enough or some of the other jackets at the website. The mesh jackets provide that mixture of breathability (gray over black helps heat too) as well as providing at least some protection. You can actually see through the material weave on them in non-key spots. Key spots have armor in them.

There's some debate as to weather mesh jackets are worth their protection, but it's dang hot where I live and given the choice of passing out from heat exhaustion and splatting in perfect armor.......or breezing along in my mesh conscious and maybe some road rash if I do splat-.....I'll go with the mesh.

And, if already mesh--then maybe a different mesh and/or adding a Sahara Vest. Dip these things in water and they add evaporative cooling to the mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my first gear mesh tex jacket... Love it love it love it. I used to ride with just a t-shirt b/c of the heat. Not anymore, the jacket is great! And live in Alabama with 90%humidity and 95º days

James

I'm from AZ and ride in high temps (114+) on a regular basis. I usually wear a mesh jacket (Joe Rocket Phoenix) and a long sleeve shirt. I used to not wear the long sleeve shirt, and it was amazing how much of a difference the long sleeve shirt made. The shirt helps keep the sun off of your skin, and also helps by absorbing your sweat and then acting as a swamp cooler as it evaporates.

I've never used one of the Sahara Vests before, but have been thinking about getting one for the last year. Perhaps I'll take the plunge this summer and try one out.

Oh and of course make sure you stay hydrated! The more dehydrated you get, the worse the heat will feel.

While I have a mesh jacket and live (and ride) in the sometimes hot temps of New Mexico, I think at some point you just have to draw the line. I definately roll back my rides during the hot summer. During the summer months I ride in the A.M. when it's cooler. I try to plan most of my road trips before Memorial day, and after Labor day. Motel rates are better and the brats are back in school. C'mon, you've got to adapt to your environment! Think about the poor souls in the "Great White North" who have a limited riding season. They have no choice when the roads are ice-packed and not navigatable...................

Also in Alabama with not just heat, but major humidity, I have a Vanson mesh jacket... and on really hot days, wet a long-sleeve t-shirt under it and it's cool-breeze baby.

Hey James (Tsitalon1)... where the hell in AL are you? We need to hook up and ride. As I'm sure you're aware, sport-touring bikes are rare around here.

Steve

I love my first gear mesh tex jacket... Love it love it love it. I used to ride with just a t-shirt b/c of the heat. Not anymore, the jacket is great! And live in Alabama with 90%humidity and 95º days
James
agreed B)

It's almost never a problem above 6000 feet, but when I'm in the foothills or Sacramento valley, or in the Gardnerville to Reno area, sometimes my Joe Rocket Phoenix III mesh jacket is still too hot. So, the choices seem to be: head back up to altitude for relief, put the windscreen all the way down, or ride the Blackbird, which has less wind protection.

I wish I knew an answer to your question that was satisfactory. I try to always wear protective gear, but I've had a couple days already this year that I've worn just a tee shirt for short rides, and it hasn't gotten REALLY HOT yet. I also have some concern about just how satisfactory the protection of mesh jackets is, but they damn well beat a tee shirt.

One of these days when it's unbearable, I'm going to try wetting my tee shirt and riding with the mesh jacket over it.

I also ride with a Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 jacket; if you're already wearing a Phoenix (which is all mesh) another way to cool it down (besides what you already read previously) is to remove the back armor; obviously this would lessen the protection capability. Also try an UnderArmor 'heat guard' T-shirt under the jacket...best $25.00 you'll spend...really works.. provides evaporative cooling for the perspiration...

Over the years I've read some 'real world' results on the 'net concerning how they work in a crash...all the riders had great things to say about how well the jacket held up and protected them. The one problem: be sure to fasten the snaps on the sleeves, or else they might 'slide up' in a crash and expose your forearms to the pavement.

Cost wise: To get a killer deal, look for closeouts when the style changes (again); I bought my wife a 3.0 Phoenix for $49.00 locally at Cyclegear in Houston; they also have a website....but better try one on somewhere first even if you decide to mail order it...the womens jackets all run small, per the wife......

I have the Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar apparel and really love it. I feel very safe and it breathes quite well. Check out the "Save your hide" link at the website linked above. It's not cheap but neither are skin grafts. I have raved about this gear and ranted about so-called safety apparel before, so I won't get started again. I just pray that in the unfortunate event that you go down, the apparel you are in is up to the task of protecting you.

I've been riding with a FirstGear Meah Tek II. Very happy with it. It's one with a zip out shell liner. I put the liner in and add a couple layers of lightweight warm clothing and I'm comfy down into the 50s.

Now, this number of responses with a variety of options explained in detail is what I've missed the past couple weeks with the drama. The community is back! TexasTigress is OVERWHELMED with choices and insights. :clap:

Technic mesh jacket while waiting for my Cycleport kevlar Ultra air mesh jacket and pants. Check out their site. With the liners, down to minus 20. Without, up to 120. With the kevlar, you can ride in shorts and a tshirt underneath. full armor, machine washable, great warranty. No, I don't work there. Toecutter turned me onto it.

I love my first gear mesh tex jacket... Love it  love it  love it. I used to ride with just a t-shirt b/c of the heat. Not anymore, the jacket is great! And  live in Alabama with 90%humidity and 95º days
James
agreed B)
I have a Firstgear Kilamanjaro. Awesome. I have worn it all but one day and the shade it provides actually keeps you cooler than going with short sleeves. Since I figured that out I have been safely riding with the jacket ON. The only cure to the heat is movement. With it so hot here (I live in Orangevale and work at Hwy 50 and Watt in Sacramento) I am really happy that I found such a good jacket. Price? I think I paid about $248 at A&S in Roseville.

By the way, it also came with a liner that kept me warm over Donner in December, so it is a good year round jacket.