Gen 1 Heat Management

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldryder

Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death but I couldn't find a search string that would give me one of the many related threads.

can anyone provide a few links?

thx

mark in MN

I know this topic has been beat to death but I couldn't find a search string that would give me one of the many related threads.

thx

mark in MN
Try this one,

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/vent-mod.html

I did a similar thing as in the first pic on my 2003.

It helped some, and I duct tape over the holes in the colder months.

thx

mark in MN
Search on "Cromeit Heat Fix."

EDIT: Also search on "Baker Air Wings."

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a Gen 1 for quite some time now I can say that the heat only bothers me if I don't wear my riding pants. When I shoot to town with just jeans on I find my ankles and shins get hot. With full gear and riding boots the only time I find the heat bothering me is in stop-n-go taffic. For long rides I wear Under armour. You can get them at Sportcheck or National Sports or any good sports store.

Good Luck.

1. Cromeit fix is big bang for the buck. Reduces heat on left shin. It looks like a hokey idea, but it works and is invisible.

2. Insulation under the tank is also big bang for the buck. Helps the tank from getting hot when below a 1/4 tank.

Gen 2's have a factory heat shield. Aluminum backed engine bay insulation from the car parts store gets it done.

I put aluminum tape on the rough side to prevent scratching paint.

I've seen others duct tale firewall insulation to the bottom of the tank.

3. I don't have ABS. So I used a dremel to wack out all that plastic in front of the rear shock. Free and gives the heat somewhere to flow out from!

The only reason it is there is to accomidate the ABS module. You'll be shocked by how much heat can get pulled out the back.

4. Higher dollar - PCiii. Dialing in the Air Fuel ratio helps the exhaust run cooler. Beleive it. Most also report better throttle response.

5. Keeping fuel in the tank when it is really hot out puts pounds of heat sink on the engine. It helps and really doesn't cost anything.

6. A chopped wind sheild does wonders for getting air on you. I have a 8 incher. hehe.

Get a scratched up sheild off a wrecked bike and hit it with a band saw. BAM. Some people spray paint the inside, depending on the quality of the donor.

My thighs can still get sweaty in 90+ weather. But I deal just fine. That happens when you wrap your legs around 130 HP.

If another fix comes along, I won't do it cause I don't need it. Most the mod's cost almost nothing.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggies have been hit. Cromeit, insulation blanket under the tank, Baker Air Wings, and good riding pants seem to be the most common solutions. Cromeit is the only thing I haven't done, but I haven't needed to. The insulation blanket (it was Smitty's version) keeps the tank cool if I'm stopped and the Air Wings take care of things when moving.

Saw another idea a long time ago, though. Back when I first joined this board, someone described how they had been dismantling their bike and, after removing the radiator, found a heat shield behind it that hadn't been installed correctly. He reworked that and found his heat problems went away. I never heard of anyone else looking for that or following up, but I've often wondered if that explains why some people seem to have more Gen I heat problems than others. Since most of us don't have a reason to take things apart that far, perhaps we'll never know.

I have also taken foam pipe insulation about 1 1/2" diameter and split it into 2 strips about 24" long and wedged it between the tank and fairing sides to block heat leakage. This works quite well along with Smitty's heat blanket under the tank.

thx

mark in MN
Try this one,

https://www.fjr1300.info/mods/vent-mod.html

I did a similar thing as in the first pic on my 2003.

It helped some, and I duct tape over the holes in the colder months.
For what it's worth, the triangular cutout in the chin piece works just fine for me. I've been running it this way since August of 2002 with absolutely no problem. I also haven't had a heat problem.

jim

The under-the-tank heat blanket is a really good idea, inexpensive and easy to install. Yamaha must have realized this as they upgraded the heat insulation under the tank for the Gen II models.

I got a roll of aluminum bubble insulation at Home Depot for under ten bux, cut it out appropriately, and slid it under the tank. Before I did this, on hot days in the American Southwest, fuel in the tank would boil, expelling cool, fresh gasoline up and out of the filler hole when I refilled the tank at fuel stops. Now, even a duffer like me has to realize that just can't be good. After the heat blanket installation, the little gasoline shower surprise happens no more. Tank heat is now more an effect of solar heating than of radiant engine heat.

The CromeIt shield is another very good fix, well worth the short time it took to make it and install. I used aluminum roof flashing, costing me less than a dollar and about an hour of work.

Nowadays, after those two procedures, the Gen I heat is really nothing extraordinary, and probably somewhat less that what one would get from many a similar motorcycle engine. There's heat, but what do you expect when you have a 1300 cc engine between your legs? My 750 cc K-Beemer also put out a lot of heat on hot days, but it destroyed itself before I got a chance to fix it. Last week, on a ride, a fellow rider reported that his ST 1300 was a real shin burner. He ought to install a heat blanket under the tank. So should you. WBill

After I put my bubble wrap heat blanket on, the black plastic side covers under the rear tank were gettin hot , so i lined them with the bubble wrap & fixed that! Had some left over so just fer luck I put some under the drivers seat.

thx for help everyone.

interesting note: I had a KZ1300 kawasaki (an In-line 6cyl. for you youngsters) and it also needed a customer installed heat sheild on the underside of the gas tank.

there was room below the carbs to put a can of soup or beans on the engine and we used to use it to heat up dinner shortly before stopping to camp for a nite.

The Gen I's make heat? I dunno, the 'stich must insulate enough to keep me comfy, and staying out of the stop-n-go traffic can't hurt...