Gen I compared to Gen III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see anyone mention this, but if you're looking at 2016 or newer there's a couple huge benefits in my book. The LED lights, besides improvements in lighting, use less power and this is a plus if you're running a lot of heated gear and other accessories.

And I absolutely love the idea of the LED cornering lights. Being a fellow far north resident, my commute is often in the dark both ways and I traverse some twisty, unlit rural roads. Seeing around corners is not too bad if I can keep the high beams on but as soon as a car approaches I'm blind in the corner once I switch the high beams off. Those lights by themselves would be a reason to upgrade for me.

Sadly, my 07 only has 129,000 miles on it and still runs great. With Ohlins rear shock, GP front forks, LED headlight bulbs, the audiovox cruise and ST1300 heated grips installed it makes it hard to justify a new one unless a screaming deal comes along.

Going from an 05 to a 16 the biggest improvement would be the addition of a 6th gear. I find I'm in 4th gear on the 16 where I would have been in 5th on the 05.

The cruise control and the heated grips are a big improvement.

The stock mirrors are great for looking at my elbows, I put the FZ1 mirrors on mine as well as the HeliBars, the Yoshimura cans and a Seth Lamm seat.

The lights are a step up from the 05, the brights are even better.

My 05 handled better but I did have the Wilbers rear shock and springs in the forks. Once the rear shock on the 16 is done I'll upgrade it but I'm not sure if I'll go Wilbers or something else.

The 16 gets a little better gas mileage. On our vacation run I got an average of 50.5 MPG. The lowest I got was 41.8 the highest was 61.9, but that was a short tank going to Durango from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

See gas, get gas mentality.

And I think the 16 has a more aggressive look to it.

DSCF4508-L.jpg