Gen II Fork Spring Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

learnin4life

Reaction score
After failing to find a "how to" thread with a google search, thought I would risk asking the forum. I'm fairly handy, and work on my SV650 frequently. I recently bought a new to me 2009 FJR and am interested in learning from more experienced members of this forum. I recognized quickly that I need to re-spring the forks and shock to get the sag I want. The shop manual implies that replacing the fork springs would be fairly straightforward, but replacing the rear shock spring looks a little tedious. This is primarily due to the preliminaries to get at the shock.

Does anyone know whether there is a good "how to" write-up for performing these tasks. I looked at Warchild's site, but couldn't find anything on point. Appreciate any help offered.

After failing to find a "how to" thread with a google search, thought I would risk asking the forum. I'm fairly handy, and work on my SV650 frequently. I recently bought a new to me 2009 FJR and am interested in learning from more experienced members of this forum. I recognized quickly that I need to re-spring the forks and shock to get the sag I want. The shop manual implies that replacing the fork springs would be fairly straightforward, but replacing the rear shock spring looks a little tedious. This is primarily due to the preliminaries to get at the shock.

Does anyone know whether there is a good "how to" write-up for performing these tasks. I looked at Warchild's site, but couldn't find anything on point. Appreciate any help offered.
I am assuming you may be a fairly robust sort of rider or highly technically one pushing the limits. One of the two anyway.

Have you tried setting any of the adjustments? Haulin Ashe has a very good right up on how to adjust your suspension. I am pretty sure it is under where you can find all the info for your fjr thread. Knowing this forum I am sure someone has done a Q&A.

Good luck

Dave

Dave thanks. I did read the Ashe threads (as well as several others) and was very impressed with the bike knowledge. I could tell that much butt tested experience went into the thoughts expressed.

Just as with my past bikes, I like to try and start out with a reasonable sag setting before making too many rebound and compression adjustments. With the stock springs I just can't get the sag I want, even with preload cranked all the way in.

Replacing the fork springs is pretty straightforward. Since you have experience with the SV, you won't any problems, just keep everything in order so reassembly is easy. Shock will require removal and a spring compressor to complete the task.

Take a look at HyperPro as they offer a FJR spring kit including both forks and shock. Many here have used them as a fairly inexpensive upgrade with good results. Keep in mind, the stock FJR shock lacks the adjust-ability of aftermarket and will eventually require replacement or rebuilding if you choose to stay with it.

Good luck!

--G

I've read a lot of good reviews on Hyperpro. Went a ordered the spring set, front & rear for my 03 this week. Hopefully I'll have a review of them next weekend.

I've got an almost zero mile shock from an 08 that will go in as well. Currently with 33k miles on my 03, the stock setup is done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my forks to Harris performance UK to have Ohlins linear springs and 20mm sports rebound and compression cartridges, Ohlins fork oil. I also had the bushings and seals changed for good measure.

The sag I set up is 40-45mm with rider onboard.

I then went for a ride on a favourite piece of road and adjusted the compression and rebound until I didn't like the ride, backed it off to the middle setting between the two. Well what a difference, the handling is very precise and cornering has improved significantly.

It is a much softer setup than before( I used Haulin's rough figures previously) and uses much more fork travel, but the ride and handling has been improved.

Suspension is the best thing you can do to improve your bike!

Great. I'll be interested to see your report. I'd also be interested in hearing about your experience with HyperPro. Like you, I've read good things about their knowledge and quality in this forum.

Great. I'll be interested to see your report. I'd also be interested in hearing about your experience with HyperPro. Like you, I've read good things about their knowledge and quality in this forum.
0 miles om my 10 and I put these in and a Penskey rear shock.

spring%20guide.jpg

These are 1.1 KG with spring guides. I am 5'11" 210 with gear.

Call Traxxion and ask for Lee.

Not too bad to do and I did them with a broken neck, broken plated and pinned right wrist, so no issues if you can turn a wrench.

Is one of the springs in the picture a progressive, and the other a linear?

On another note, were the physical problems you describe attributable to an "off"? Sounds very serious, happy to hear you are still riding.

Is one of the springs in the picture a progressive, and the other a linear?

On another note, were the physical problems you describe attributable to an "off"? Sounds very serious, happy to hear you are still riding.
Top is the spring set from Traxxion, lower is stock.

Yes it was a get off and I am very happy to be riding and wrenching as I can.

I liked Traxxion and Lee as it all came set up for me and my weight. I had to cut or change nothing to reach correct sag, and then the settings recommended were right on for all settings. I even bought the fork oil from them and you must pay attention to the amount you put in the forks as it is less than stock.

I just did fork springs this past spring, it was very easy. As far as the shock goes, I sent mine to Sasquatch for a rebuild/respring. It turned out great and IMHO is a great value compared to paying for an after market shock. Plus you keep the stock hard/soft preload adjustment.

Good to know that someone rebuilds the OEM shock. Since I'm new to the FJR I'm taking an incremental approach to upgrades by replacing only the fork and shock springs. However, the I can see taking another step later with a rebuilt stock shock.

There have been many posts about the quality of the Hyperpro combo. I've had good luck with Rich Desmond at Sonic Springs, and believe I'll use his fork springs, and the Hyperpro shock spring. I know call me crazy, but.....

I've replaced the fork springs with linear 1.1 kg springs, and used the Hyperpro spring to replace the OEM rear shock spring. I'm 5'11'', 190 with gear. I have 1/2 line showing on the pre-load adjuster, and ended up with sag of 36mm on the front and about 26mm on the rear. Would liked to have been around 30-35mm on front and rear sag, but such is life. I'm nearly out of adjustability on the front, and the rear is what it is.

Not sure there is much else I can do to get closer to the target sag.

Thoughts anyone?

I've replaced the fork springs with linear 1.1 kg springs, and used the Hyperpro spring to replace the OEM rear shock spring. I'm 5'11'', 190 with gear. I have 1/2 line showing on the pre-load adjuster, and ended up with sag of 36mm on the front and about 26mm on the rear. Would liked to have been around 30-35mm on front and rear sag, but such is life. I'm nearly out of adjustability on the front, and the rear is what it is.

Not sure there is much else I can do to get closer to the target sag.

Thoughts anyone?

Learnin, you could simply add a few millimeters to the spacer you cut and installed when you changed springs. This would increase the preload of the spring. Try that and see whether you can come up with a little less sag in the front. As far as changing the sag number on the OEM shock with a new spring, I can't help you.

Thanks..uh..learnin, I appreciate your feedback. I'll give it try. Very logical solution.