Gen II Muffler Remove and re-install questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossyrocks13k

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day,

My bike, 2007, with 50K. Me, not much of a mechanic. I removed the muffler assemblies (cans) today and found something odd. On the right side there was a mesh metal material, but on the left side there was nothing. Is the mesh metal material the muffler gasket (item 6 and 9 in the exhaust micorfiche).

Also what is "muffler glue"? I found a reference to it but I do not know what it is. Please look over the replace steps and see if i missed anything and help me fill in the ???.

1. REPLACE

Using a stiff metal brush and emery cloth, clean the exhaust pipe component (1) where the muffler gasket (6 and 9) will sit.
  2. Using a stiff metal brush and emery cloth, clean the muffler assembly (5 and 8) where the muffler gasket (6 and 9) will sit.
  3. Using a cone shape, slightly expand the end of the muffler assembly (5 and 8).
  4. Right Side:

Install the muffler gasket (6) in the muffler assembly (8).
  5. Apply a liberal amount of sealant (Muffler Glue??) to the portion of the muffler gasket on the muffler assembly.
  6. Position the muffler assembly (5) against the muffler gasket (6) and slip together.
  7. Continue to manipulate the muffler assembly (5) until the flange bolt (11) is aligned with the screw hole.
  8. Install the flange bolt (11), do not tighten at this time.
  9. Install the flange bolt (7) and tighten lightly.
  10. Manipulate the muffler assembly (5) until everything is aligned.
  11. Remove the flange bolt (7) and add a small amount of locktite, reinstall the flange bolt (7) and tighten to (?????????).
  12. Remove the flangebolt (11) and add a small amount of locktite, reinstall the flange bolt (11) and tighten to (?????????).
[*]Left Side:

[*]Install the muffler gasket (9) on the exhaust pipe component (1).

[*]Position the muffler assembly (8) against the muffler gasket (9) and gently slip together.

[*]Continue to manipulate the muffler assembly (8) until the flange bolt (11) is aligned with the screw hole.

[*]Install the flange bolt (11), do not tighten at this time.

[*]Install the flange bolt (10) and tighten lightly.

[*]Manipulate the muffler assembly (8) until everything is aligned.

[*]Remove the flange bolt (10) and add a small amount of locktite, reinstall the flange bolt (10) and tighten to (?????????).

[*]Remove the flangebolt (11) and add a small amount of locktite, reinstall the flange bolt (11) and tighten to (???? n ?????).

Thanks

Glenn

The mesh you are talking about might be the catalytic converter... it will look like corrugated cardboard when viewed from the side (zigzags). Google it and look at some images. As for muffler sealant, it is sold in tubes to make the joints leak-free.

Thanks for the reply.

The mesh material was attached to the muffler assembly when I removed it. I had to clean all the silver solder looking stuff off to remove the mesh.

That silver mesh was the gasket. 10 to 1, if you look IN the other muffler pipe, the gasket stuck to the inside of the muffler assembly instead of the outside of the header pipe. Mine did exactly the same thing.

I’ve never had to use a stiff metal brush or abrasive emery cloth to clean the exhaust system on my FJR. I’ve resorted to this on neglected bikes, but usually a good stiff bristle nylon brush is the most I’ve had to use on the FJR.

I don’t normally have to use a cone or other tool to expand the opening of the muffler, other than in repair/maintenance of used/neglected bikes. Never had to with the feej — the clamps only torque to 14 lbFt.

Not sure what that mesh material is/was, but probably wasn't a cat. The gen 2 has catalytic converters inserted in the first section of the mufflers immediately after where the pipe joins the body of the muffler -- I think they're about 8" or so from the opening. Using an endoscope, I took some pictures of the cats in the cans some time ago and posted them in order demonstrate their existence to the unbelievers. The post is somewhere here if you search

Anyway, where, exactly, was this mesh? If at the join, as AJ suggests, it was probably a destroyed gasket.

For used gaskets, I don’t use any sealant or muffler glue, as long as the gaskets are undamaged, or not over compressed by over torquing the clamps to be incapable of making a seal. If a gasket is damaged, it should be replaced, but you can get some extra use out of a damaged/compressed one by using a small amount of RTV on the inside of the gasket where it slides onto the exhaust. Using a sealant will likely render the gasket incapable of being used an additional time.

I install new gaskets by fitting half of the gasket in the muffler, and then sliding the other end over the exhaust. Careful, even pressure will fit them together. In the event that the gasket won’t fit into the muffler, it means the clamps were likely over-torqued previously, and the muffler opening will have to be expanded with your favourite ‘cone’ tool.

When I reuse the gasket, I’ll use a small amount of non-corrosive lube, such as ACF-50, on the exhaust and the inside of the gasket to ease assembly.

Torque values: muffler clamp 14 lbFt, muffler bolt 18 lbFt. OEM use a dab of blue loctite, but aftermarket may have self-locking nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the exhaust gaskets (as per your parts fiche) consist of a steel mesh that is impregnated with graphite. (Or maybe its a graphite gasket impregnated with metal mesh) If the gasket is not damaged, you don't see the mesh at all. I had to replace one that had been damaged. I never used a sealant.

I think the exhaust gaskets (as per your parts fiche) consist of a steel mesh that is impregnated with graphite. (Or maybe its a graphite gasket impregnated with metal mesh) If the gasket is not damaged, you don't see the mesh at all. I had to replace one that had been damaged. I never used a sealant.
Bingo...........

So what was the reason to take them off? I just use a brown scotch brite pad to polish them back into shape while still on the bike. A little elbow grease and there like new again. JUST ON THE PIPE SECTION. Spray polish for the rest of the muffler.

Dave

So what was the reason to take them off? I just use a brown scotch brite pad to polish them back into shape while still on the bike. A little elbow grease and there like new again. JUST ON THE PIPE SECTION. Spray polish for the rest of the muffler.
Dave
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I am doing a complete rear end lube job, including the swingarm, and replacing the shock with a 2013. Also I am trying to learn new things.

Aaaaahhhhhh, now it get it. Shit I am 24K overdue. I did replace my shock last year though.

Makes sense,

Dave

Aaaaahhhhhh, now it get it. Shit I am 24K overdue. I did replace my shock last year though.
Makes sense,

Dave
Hey Dave, do you ride with the New England Riders? If yes, I will see you at the Meet and Greet in May
smile.png
. If not at least check the website for some really great roads.