Gen II throttle hang

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastie

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2007 FJR and noted that when the bike is cold the initial twist of the throttle is difficult at first, but only from the the first twist. It feels like the throttle tube gets stuck in the full closed position. Once you twist it and break it loose the throttle works beautifully. The bike has a Throttlemeister which I have checked for proper adjustment and it appears okay.

There does not appear to be any slack in the throttle cable, and I wonder if maybe I just need to put a little slack into it, from the throttle adjustment nut at the bar.

This has me baffled, not concerned though as the throttle seems to work as it is designed. It is just the first initial twist when the bike has been setting.

Any idea?

I just purchased a 2007 FJR and noted that when the bike is cold the initial twist of the throttle is difficult at first, but only from the the first twist. It feels like the throttle tube gets stuck in the full closed position. Once you twist it and break it loose the throttle works beautifully. The bike has a Throttlemeister which I have checked for proper adjustment and it appears okay.

There does not appear to be any slack in the throttle cable, and I wonder if maybe I just need to put a little slack into it, from the throttle adjustment nut at the bar.

This has me baffled, not concerned though as the throttle seems to work as it is designed. It is just the first initial twist when the bike has been setting.

Any idea?
After reading more I'm thinking it is possible that my throttle body butterfly valves are dirty and hanging up. My engine has 36k miles on it. Opinions? If that is the case it also sounds like it is not difficult to clean the butterfly valves as long as I use caution not to let the gunk slid into the engine. Can I use carb cleaner on a rag to do this cleaning. Then WD40 all the linkages associated with the valves?

Check the throttle tube is clean, the cables move freely, then if everything is okay, then look at the throttle bodies, but I have not heard of your problem. The 07 suffers from a jerky throttle response but a power commander 5 will cure that.

Before you do anything else, introduce a small amount of slack in the cable. Should only take a minute or two. I think this is the most likely cause of binding.

Ross

Before you do anything else, introduce a small amount of slack in the cable. Should only take a minute or two. I think this is the most likely cause of binding.

Ross
Thanks for the input guys. I will disassemble the throttle assembly/tube tonight and clean it all up, then put a small amount of slack in the cable. If this resolves the issue I will not have to address the butterflies. Fingers crossed.

I took apart the throttle assembly at the bar and cleaned everything up, then put a small amount of slack in the cable adjustment. The throttle does now roll back fairly easily on its own, but it does not snap closed like my Tiger 1050 does.

As part of the "fix" that some early Gen II owners performed the throttle return spring would be partially unwound. This may have been done to your bike by the previous owner, and that might explain the throttle not "Snapping Closed". I don't see how it would contribute to the throttle sticking closed when cold though.

As part of the "fix" that some early Gen II owners performed the throttle return spring would be partially unwound. This may have been done to your bike by the previous owner, and that might explain the throttle not "Snapping Closed". I don't see how it would contribute to the throttle sticking closed when cold though.
I think that the throttle sticking closed was due to grunge under the throttle tube on the bar. I cleaned that good. I will know tomorrow morning if I resolved that issue. I suspected that the spring unwind had been done, and if that is the case that is okay. The throttle operation with the unwound spring is comfortable for me. I just wanted the stuck closed problem resolved. Tomorrow will tell, and I will report back.

Thanks guys.

I think that the throttle sticking closed was due to grunge under the throttle tube on the bar. I cleaned that good. I will know tomorrow morning if I resolved that issue. I suspected that the spring unwind had been done, and if that is the case that is okay. The throttle operation with the unwound spring is comfortable for me. I just wanted the stuck closed problem resolved. Tomorrow will tell, and I will report back.

Thanks guys.
Well the throttle operation this morning was much smoother following placement of a little slack in the cable and cleaning of the bar assembly. Still hangs a little from fully closed when started up after sitting for awhile, but once past the hang all is working good. I now suspect it is my cables that need lubed. Just gotta figure out the easiest way to do that without having one of those tools that attaches to the cable. The WD40 straw is just not fitting into the sheath good enough.

Just gotta figure out the easiest way to do that without having one of those tools that attaches to the cable. The WD40 straw is just not fitting into the sheath good enough.
Just get one of those tools that attaches to the cable.

Just gotta figure out the easiest way to do that without having one of those tools that attaches to the cable. The WD40 straw is just not fitting into the sheath good enough.
Just get one of those tools that attaches to the cable.
Yep. Gonna do that on Friday if my local dealership carries it. If not then Motorcycle Superstore order will go in.

I had what I thought was a throttle sticking problem. It turned out to be as simple as my grip puppie rubbing agains the bar end weight.

Mac