Gen III Grip Replacement?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillaFunk

Reaction score
Picked up a new to me '13 this weekend. I want to replace the grips with BMW grips like I did on my '07.

My concern is the heating elements for the grips. Can I cut the grips off, or are the elements part of the grips?

I tried googling, but couldn't find anything.

Any help?

I have to ask, why the BMW grips? I like the ones on the FJR better than the ones on my K1200RS or '07 K1200GT.

After riding for an hour or so on the stock grips my hands ache, those grips are harder than a whores heart, my answer has been to use neoprene grip buddies, but have to say that the most comfortable grips ever, on ANY BIKE I have ridden/owned, were the BMW tapered grips. You could ride all day, no problem. They are about the only thing that I miss from my BMW years, got to say that GillaFunk has got it right.

After riding for an hour or so on the stock grips my hands ache, those grips are harder than a whores heart, my answer has been to use neoprene grip buddies, but have to say that the most comfortable grips ever, on ANY BIKE I have ridden/owned, were the BMW tapered grips. You could ride all day, no problem. They are about the only thing that I miss from my BMW years, got to say that GillaFunk has got it right.
EXACTY. I love the grips that were on my GS, so I put them on my 07 FJR.

Now.....Im STUCK with these hard crap ones, or go foam? FML

I actually hated the OEM heated grips so much that I cut them off and replaced gen with my favorite grips of all time; Renthal Medium Compound.

I don't find the foam grip covers to be nearly as comfortable as the neoprene Grip Buddies. The foam ones do look new longer, but transfer heat more slowly. If the factory grips were inexpensive and easy to replace, I probably wouldn't use grip covers at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up going with the neoprene grip covers applied over the stock grips.

While they add thickness to the grip (total overall diameter) it isn't bad. Thus far, they work fine with heated grips. I cant say how long they'll last, but these get good feedback on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$12

I applied my cramp buster over them and I am content. I still prefer rubber grips off my 1150GS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually hated the OEM heated grips so much that I cut them off and replaced gen with my favorite grips of all time; Renthal Medium Compound.
Same. You just have to be careful that you don't damage the heating elements. And they were a bitch to get on since the circumference is a tad larger. I ended up buying two sets of grips and used the larger ones. With grip glue they slide on OK...

And yeah, the stock grips just weren't cutting it.

That's the thing I like about the Grip Puppies. The heat transfers through them. It takes a couple of minutes to get them warm, but once they warm up they are awesome.

I ended up going with the neoprene grip covers applied over the stock grips.
While they add thickness to the grip (total overall diameter) it isn't bad. Thus far, they work fine with heated grips. I cant say how long they'll last, but these get good feedback on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJAH5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$12

I applied my cramp buster over them and I am content. I still prefer rubber grips off my 1150GS.
The link you posted is for FOAM grip covers, not neoprene. I've been running similar foam covers since I got my FJR and really love them for the larger diameter and vibration reduction. I could not find any to fit my wife's really small diameter grips on her NC700XD, so got the neoprene Grip BUDDIES for her. They are wearing out much quicker than my foam Grip PUPPIES that are very similar to the Grab On brand in the link above and I don't like the seam in them.

Latest posts