Gen III Horsepower.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Flyer

Reaction score
Suspect this will up in NEPRT but here goes. I was asked "What's the horsepower of that bike?' and realized I didn't know and could not find it in the manual. Found that the older ones were rated at 145 but suspect the newer ones are up a bit on that. So, what is the horsepower (engine) of a 2015 FJR1300ES?

Yes, it does matter! Bragging rights.

Yamaha has not done much to increase the peak power of the FJR over the years. While it has not remained constant, 145 at the crankshaft is pretty close. 127 or so at the rear wheel.

Always keeping in mind that what a bike does on one dyno may give different numbers on a different dyno.

"Yes, it does matter! Bragging rights"

Well if it's for bragging, then the 2013 FJR produces198 HP at the rear wheel; 231 HP with a touch of nitrous. I consistently run low nines in the quarter mile with a top end of 185-195 MPH. You can quote me as a noted online expert and unnamed source close to the president of the NHRA.

As long as we are making stuff up...

I was there when Flying Dinosaur did the tuning and dyno runs. He removed the airbox and installed velocity stacks. He swapped the stock mufflers with a set of Delkevics and used a PC-III to retune the fuel map. He chose a special early super secret production run of the PC-III because those allowed him to adjust the fuel map and the spark curve. He used his own special map based on years of experience working in MotoGP.

He actually cannot run it on the strip with the bags on because he needs all the forward weight bias he can get. Otherwise he wheelies all the way past the 1/8 mile mark.

Or, you can just quote mcatrophy as an internet authority and be done with it.

BTW, who you gonna brag to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Early road tests of the first Gen III model (2013) reported a slight increase in the horsepower at the crank from 145hp to 147hp.

Dan

Early road tests of the first Gen III model (2013) reported a slight increase in the horsepower at the crank from 145hp to 147hp.Dan
So, how can a road test give you a measure of crank horse-power? Enquiring minds want to know.

FWIW, Cycle World dynoed a '14 ES and came up with rear wheel numbers of: HORSEPOWER|123.1 hp @ 8070 rpm| |TORQUE|87.6 lb.-ft. @ 6600 rpm

Early road tests of the first Gen III model (2013) reported a slight increase in the horsepower at the crank from 145hp to 147hp.Dan
So, how can a road test give you a measure of crank horse-power? Enquiring minds want to know.
They had gleaned this from talking to the Yamaha technical representatives when learning of the enhancements that the Gen III series had to offer.

Dan

Well, as I expected, this thread rapidly moved to NEPRT and the NEPRT crowd piled on! But, once again, ionbeam came through with real data. Interestingly enough, buddies on the BMW forum say it is "easy" to get another 18 to 20 hp relatively easily from the FJR1300 engine. Can't say I need it or even want it.

As for bragging rights, the main one for me is "My bike is more reliable than your bike."

First, several of us provided "real data". Second, your BMW buddies are misinformed. You can search this forum until the cows come home and not find a dyno chart that shows 18 to 20 horses over stock.

What I've learned from this thread.... There is a real market opportunity in producing "enhanced" drag strip time slips and dyno hp/torque slips.

First, several of us provided "real data". Second, your BMW buddies are misinformed. You can search this forum until the cows come home and not find a dyno chart that shows 18 to 20 horses over stock.
I think it was alleged that BMW owners are smarter and know more about our bikes then we fjr forumites do because, well, they are just naturally smarter. Just ask any beemer rider, they'll tell ya!

well, I bragged to a riding bud who has an old 'Busa that my Feej was pretty stout....big mistake

told a guy at a burger joint who was driving a Neon with fat front tires that my Charger SRT was pretty quick....big mistake [later he showed my a dyno chart that had his paltry 4 banger at over 700 ponies...]

better to just shut up and ride..

Well, as I expected, this thread rapidly moved to NEPRT and the NEPRT crowd piled on!
As for bragging rights, the main one for me is "My bike is more reliable than your bike."
Lame.

You were gonna brag to your friends about HP, now it's "My bike doesn't break down?"

Lame.

The FJR has plenty of oomph for sportourers, but if yer gonna brag...go to the strip or your favorite track and brag about a lower lap time or ET. And if you believed your BMW friends HP tales, um....Lame.

What?! Not even 145!
angry01.gif

I loved my bike but now that I know the power is "inferior" I'm ashamed to be seen parking at work.
blushing.gif

Once I lorded over the herd of Harleys in the parking lot with my superior horsepower but no more. I've been cheated.
pirate.gif

At least THEYcan count on the manliness of all that chrome and can see at a glance who is the most studly.
haha.gif

Last edited by a moderator: