Gen III Insurance Increase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I've had Dairyland County Mutual Insurance for some time on both my bikes. I've had zero claims, accidents, and for what they know, tickets. I just received my first renewal since upgrade from an '04 to '13 and they've gone up 62% over my last premium.

That doesn't seem right to me so I'm going to shop it around. Who else to you guys use or recommend?

I've gotten a pretty good rate from GEICO. I switched to Liberty Mutual for the cars, because it was better than GEICO, but their rate for the bike was nearly double.

You've also got to realize that the value of the bike (2004 vs 2013) comes into play as well.

GEICO here, too. Best rate I could find. It surprised me actually since they have to pay for all that advertising somehow.

I'm happy with Progressive...but haven't tested them with a claim...they were competitive with Geico, but friends locally recommended Progressive, so I went with them

I'm a Vet and have meant to check out USAA, but haven't

I'm happy with Progressive...but haven't tested them with a claim...they were competitive with Geico, but friends locally recommended Progressive, so I went with them
I'm a USAA member, but last I checked, they don't offer motorcycle insurance. They just direct you to Progressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest finding an insurance broker. They check numerous insurance companies to find the best deal for you. My agent rechecks all my policies (autos/bikes/RV/home) at renewal time to see if there's a better deal out there.

Currently I have Progressive for the bikes, but I can guarantee the same bike will cost different amounts in different states (and even different areas within the same state) and also depend on your driving record and credit score. That's why a broker is nice.

That doesn't make a lot of sense considering the safety updates on the '13. Did you go from liability to full coverage? Did you have a lapse in coverage? I had had progressive on my ST1100, sold it (didn't have any bikes or coverage) bought my FJR and progressive wanted a boat load of cash. Ended up back with Allstate.

Progressive is da shizzle....$162 per year, full coverage...300K liability.....and I have nothing else with them..

I'm a USAA member, but last I checked, they don't offer motorcycle insurance. They just direct you to Progressive.

Yes, Progressive under writes motorcycle insurance for USAA. I have USAA auto and my Progressive policy (for my bike) is connected to my USAA account. I pay progressive and call progressive for any issues but it DOES show that I have a USAA/Progressive account. I think that matters because I have dealt with Progressive in the past and they Pissed me off and I left. Once I found out they under write for USAA i was not very happy but decided to try it. Now when I call and they see i'm a USAA member their tone is COMPLETELY different (though it shouldn't be). They were very good and helpful with my claim when a F-150 plowed into the rear of my '07 FJR and totaled it. I pay around $236 a year for it.

That doesn't make a lot of sense considering the safety updates on the '13. Did you go from liability to full coverage? Did you have a lapse in coverage? I had had progressive on my ST1100, sold it (didn't have any bikes or coverage) bought my FJR and progressive wanted a boat load of cash. Ended up back with Allstate.
Full coverage with high levels of liability. I've had no lapse in coverage and have excellent credit.

When I added the '13 last year they prorated the difference in value of the bike from November to the currently renewal date in June. It added very little over what I was paying for the '04. I'd have expected that to hold true on the renewal.

I'm not saying the total is huge for the 2 bikes, just much bigger than it was.

Well, I don't know how some of you are doing it but I just got the bikes quoted with Progressive for 100/300/100 + uninsured + $500 deductible on a 13 FJR and 09 Speed Triple with an excellent driving record and credit.They wanted $911 per year for their lower line coverage. That's $250 more then Dairyland.

No biggie, at least I checked. Thanks for all the responses.

I'm with Allstate, after getting a ridiculous quote on a bike I was considering from State Farm (we had been with them for 20+ years). When I quoted the 2007 (with Allstate) vs a 2009 I was also considering, the difference was impressively high. I have to believe that the difference for you is just the age change and substantial difference in value. Good luck with the search, and enjoy the '13!

Last edited by a moderator:
Given full coverage on both bikes, the difference could well be simply that the new bike is worth 5 times what the old one was.

Liability coverage for a bike isn't too much. Even if you had full coverage on the Gen I you are covering 10k more in additional value. There is a higher likelihood of paying out on a comp/collision claim than something else with a m/c.

USAA told me they were out of the business of insuring motorcycles and referred me to progressive in 2004. When I bought the FJR in 2006 I have them a call on a whim. They have insured it ever since. Underwritten by USAA.

Well, I don't know how some of you are doing it but I just got the bikes quoted with Progressive for 100/300/100 + uninsured + $500 deductible on a 13 FJR and 09 Speed Triple with an excellent driving record and credit.They wanted $911 per year for their lower line coverage. That's $250 more then Dairyland.
No biggie, at least I checked. Thanks for all the responses.
Check it again without the S3.....I pay $190 a year on my 2005 and have $100 deductible on collision.

If Farm Bureau is available in TX I’d give them a look. You have to have your cages with them also but, their bike rates are ridiculously low.

Cost is going to vary a lot based on your location and personal record.

Progressive beat GEICO by a couple hundred when I last compared. When I hit a deer with my previous bike, a Buell Ulysses, Progressive was quick and friendly, and paid not only the initial claim but also a follow-up claim for latent damage that hadn't been visible until I rode the bike again.