Genuine Yamaha Brake Pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
For anyone that has ordered stock pads, do they come packaged as Yamaha ?

First time in over 400,000 kms ordering stock pads.  Always went with aftermarket previously.

Canadian FJR

Yes.  Fronts as two pads per package.  Four packages required for the front.  They are very proud of these!!  (I have always been happy with the EBC HH sintered pads at less than half the cost per pad - four per package)  Some dealers don't even stock the OEM pads and would have to special order them.

s-l1600.jpg

I only ever bought the Yamaha pads once and not for an FJR - I assume packaging hasn't changed.  

Since inner/outer pads don't seem to wear at the same rate, they get swapped around at mid-life (checked every tire change).  When I change pads, I may not necessarily change all of them at the same time.  Especially the lower front right (linked) piston pair.  Since these are actuated with the rear brake, they don't wear as fast unless you use the rear brake a lot.  When changing pads, I always extend the pistons as far as I dare (don't want to pop them out) and give them a good cleaning.  Keeps the wear more even and prevents seal damage from dirt being pushed back into the seals.

Funny, some people have claimed that the EBC HH sintered pads are hard on rotors but I never found that.  Still had the original rotors on my '07 when I sold it at 295,000 km.  At the same time, I have never heard any complaints about the OEM pads.  Although pricy, it isn't like they have to be replaced very often - a very small part of the bike's consumable budget.

Thanks for these comments. I have 50K on my 14ES and the original pads. The last tire change(s) I noticed the pads are still in very good condition. I am very easy on brakes...down shit regularly. Considering the years and miles, is there a good safe way to clean the calipers and pads without damaging the seals? I wash the wheels after each ride and never use high pressure on the brake components. Thanks for your suggestions. 

I replaced front and rear last April at 33k and insisted on OEM.  All seems well so far.  There was a very short period of occasional squeal with slow stops with light pressure but that seems to have vanished.  I recall getting a bit of an odd look from the service tech when I requested the OEM replacements.  

Had to fit some front EBCs. I wanted OEM but the dealer only had EBC and it was short notice. I find I am getting some brake buzzy vibration occasionally. Can't tie it down to anything specific (speed, hard or soft braking, dusty or damp conditions).

Still slows the ship ok, but I'd rather it didn't vibrate. 

Never had it with OEMs. 

It is best to stay with OEM if you have a choice, the pads are formulated to match the material composition of the OEM rotors.  Aftermarket pads, will eat the stock rotors.  If you do go aftermarket, it is best to match with the aftermarket's brand of rotor as their pads are formulated to work best with their rotors and not have accelerated rotor wear.

Many learned this lesson who road raced motorcycles and switched to aftermarket brake pads.  They saw their rotors wear out really fast.  I used to know the EBC motorcycle road race rep in the 90s and he said what I said above. 

Aftermarket pads, will eat the stock rotors. 
Not my experience with EBC HH and Gen II FJR rotors.

Don't think there is any magic with the design and specification of rotors or pads although it is logical that a manufacturer would not knowingly use materials in their sintered pads that would damage the rotors that they sell.  You have the hardness of the metal "sinter" and the substrate that holds it vs the rotor made out of some specific variety of stainless alloy.  I don't know for sure but I suspect very similar (rotor) alloys are used by most manufacturers.  (Probably a bit more "black magic" in the design, composition and manufacturing process for the pads.) 

Similarly, I would expect that an aftermarket huge company such as EBC would be aware of the applications where people are using their pads.  Making especially aggressive pads that caused physical damage would not be a good business model if you are trying to sell to the typical consumer (non-racing) motorcycling public.  Who would ever buy them a second time?  Not to mention what it would do to the company reputation.

I will say that I haven't personally had issues with the EBC HH product but I am aware that there are some who have had problems.  Bad batch of pads?  Bad batch of rotors?  Who knows?  Safer to use Yamaha pads?  Maybe and especially if the bike is under warranty.  While "wear items" (pads, rotors) are not typically covered, you couldn't even make an argument with your dealer or Yamaha corporate if you used anything other than OEM.

Note: The Yamaha brake caliper and pads are Nissin.  Anybody know who makes Yamaha rotors?  Very likely that Yamaha produces a design and material specification and jobs it out to the lowest parts bidder - quite possibly the same supplier for many different manufacturers - possibly even EBC or Galfer.

FWIW... Rotors on my Tenere are labeled "Galfer" and "Licensed by Galfer". As RK speculates, likely specified and then produced by one of many Tier 1 OE suppliers. 

~G

Not my experience with EBC HH and Gen II FJR rotors.

Don't think there is any magic with the design and specification of rotors or pads although it is logical that a manufacturer would not knowingly use materials in their sintered pads that would damage the rotors that they sell.  You have the hardness of the metal "sinter" and the substrate that holds it vs the rotor made out of some specific variety of stainless alloy.  I don't know for sure but I suspect very similar (rotor) alloys are used by most manufacturers.  (Probably a bit more "black magic" in the design, composition and manufacturing process for the pads.) 

Similarly, I would expect that an aftermarket huge company such as EBC would be aware of the applications where people are using their pads.  Making especially aggressive pads that caused physical damage would not be a good business model if you are trying to sell to the typical consumer (non-racing) motorcycling public.  Who would ever buy them a second time?  Not to mention what it would do to the company reputation.

I will say that I haven't personally had issues with the EBC HH product but I am aware that there are some who have had problems.  Bad batch of pads?  Bad batch of rotors?  Who knows?  Safer to use Yamaha pads?  Maybe and especially if the bike is under warranty.  While "wear items" (pads, rotors) are not typically covered, you couldn't even make an argument with your dealer or Yamaha corporate if you used anything other than OEM.

Note: The Yamaha brake caliper and pads are Nissin.  Anybody know who makes Yamaha rotors?  Very likely that Yamaha produces a design and material specification and jobs it out to the lowest parts bidder - quite possibly the same supplier for many different manufacturers - possibly even EBC or Galfer.
Could be that EBC pads are a lot friendly with OEM rotors then they used to be.  Also I doubt that anyone here uses the brakes as hard as the race track would over such a short period of time.  That may play into the wear experienced on the street verses the track too.

I’ve used EBC HH for years, and never had appreciable rotor wear. 
I've been running EBC H&H front and rear for a few years now. Rotors still look really good. I could Mic them, but I've seen plenty of worn rotors and these don't look like that. The pads are doing their job just like the OEM ones did. 

I did six years of track days with ebc hh pads on a fz- 1 with out any noticeable disc wear. I plan on using them on my fjr unless there is a reason not to. I would think the rotors are the same material.