Gerbings power ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldandSlow

Reaction score
Is it possible to safely use the pigtail for my battery tender and the Gerbings pigtail adaptor to power the heated jacket liner and gloves ?

No. The battery tender pigtail is normally fused at 3 amps. That is not sufficient to support heated gear. I don't know Gerbings specifically, but warmnsafe uses a 10amp fuse in their battery leads. I would expect the same for Gerbings. A 90 watt jacket liner and gloves utilize the great majority of that 10amps.

There is no reason not to increase the fuse size on your battery tender lead if you want to use it for your heated gear too. The wire gauge on that pigtail is plenty big enough to carry 10 amps of current. That would only require a 20 gauge wire, and I seem to recall that they are 16 or at least 18 gauge wires. The fuse is there to protect the wiring harness, not the battery tender, so there is no additional risk there.

I've got a bigger fuse in mine, as many other folks do, so that I can power my electric tire inflation pump without blowing the fuse.

Or you can expand you possibilities and install a grounded fuse block ( for example https://www.easternbeaver.com/main/products/fuseboxes/pc-8/pc-8.html ) under your seat. Then you'll have the ability to properly wire and properly fuse anything you want, from heated clothing, to lights, Powerlet sockets... and still have your Battery Tender pigtail available. Not that it's a big deal.