Getting Back On The Road

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
Bought an 04 with 28+K miles. Knew it would have a few mechanical issues. The leaking front fork was obvious, but only thanks to this forum did I realize I was buying a "ticker." Took the bike to the dealer to fix the fork seals and made my best low pressure plea to try to get the tick fixed. I came home to a recording on my machine that the forks are fixed, and that Yamaha will spring to fix the tick. Since I use the bike to commute, and since the shop will need to wait for the parts, I will need to put off for a few weeks the fix, but I just wanted to put in a plug for this shop.

Blalock Cycle in Warrenton, VA has been giving me the straight scoop from the beginning. When I made my case for asking them to investigate the tick (subject of many threads here and traced to bad exhaust valve guides) they said they'd give Yamaha a call. The bike is a 2004. I have a new relationship with these guys (and the bike). I was not holding my breath. OK, so the tick hasn't been fixed, but the message I got suggested they had made the call, got the approval and were just waiting on the parts. How cool is that?

Anyway, another (potentially) good news story from me. Will keep you posted.

Even with the tick, no regrets. Love the FJR.

I think that's fantastic! Especially considering you're not the original owner of the '04. I'll definitely have to keep that dealer in mind when service time comes around. They sound great! :)

I will throw in a second on Blalock Cycle. I bought my 07 there and have been very happy with their service. They fixed my vibrating right mirror when I couldn't get one of the <stripped> panel screws to back out. The service manager John is great to work with. Several other dealers much closer but they are worth the hour trip (actually a nice ride down through Manassas back roads).

SS

That's good info. Mine isn't a ticker but with only 15k, who knows what the future will hold. It it ever did develop, I was worried about weather or not the repairs would be covered. If I had to, I'd ride it to another dealer, because I don't think Yamaha of Louisville would do jack for me.

You didn't refer to it as "The Tick," with the dealer did you?