getting rid of windshield whistle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcolman

Reaction score
I've got a cee baily +4 +2 that I love except for the "whistle" around 40-50mph. Any ideas on how to fix it???

EDIT: Thanks to Wel1123 for his suggestion about putting a thin foam strip on the windshield when mounting. I did this and the whistle went away. For good measure I also added a strip of foam under the "W" bracket before mounting it back on as I could see a thin opening between the "W" and the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a cee baily +4 +2 that I love except for the "whistle" around 40-50mph. Any ideas on how to fix it???
Well, uh, you could try either speeding up or slowing down, or better yet, wear ear plugs... ;) But seriously, my CB +4 +4 does the same thing at around the same speeds and I find that simply raising or lowering the shield depending on conditions seems to do the trick.

Actually, that's not a problem, it's a "feature. Yep, that's the built in deer whistle.

Keeps the forest rats at bay continuously as you motor along.

You just haf'ta watch out for the German Shepards that think you're calling them... :blink:

Just run a piece of electrical tape across the lower end of the windshield cover the space between the windshield and the mounting bracket... Or add windshield spacers.

Well, uh, you could try either speeding up or slowing down, or better yet, wear ear plugs... ;) But seriously, my CB +4 +4 does the same thing at around the same speeds and I find that simply raising or lowering the shield depending on conditions seems to do the trick.
Raising or lowering the shield defeats the purpose of having a cee baily in the first place. I"ll try the tape trick.

Raising or lowering the shield defeats the purpose of having a cee baily in the first place. I"ll try the tape trick.
Sorry, but I'm struggling to see how raising or lowering the shield depending on speed (and other environmental conditions) defeats the purpose of having a Cee Bailey windscreen...??? Are you suggesting that there is only one correct position for a Cee Bailey windscreen and it is at that correct position yours "whistles"? Perhaps you may want to peruse the aerodynamics section of your local public library. :glare:

Sorry, but I'm struggling to see how raising or lowering the shield depending on speed (and other environmental conditions) defeats the purpose of having a Cee Bailey windscreen...??? Are you suggesting that there is only one correct position for a Cee Bailey windscreen and it is at that correct position yours "whistles"? Perhaps you may want to peruse the aerodynamics section of your local public library. :glare:
What I mean is that the stock shield doesn't give me a "quiet zone" like the Cee Bailey does. This is why I bought it in the first place. If I raise the Cee Bailey all the way, I get a little too much buffeting plus I don't like looking just over the lip. If I lower the windshild to get rid of the whistle, I get too much windnoise. There is a point about half way up where I get the best combination of "quiet zone", no buffeting and I'm looking well above the lip. Unfortunatly, I also get the "whistle".
Maybe I'll follow your suggestion and discover that the correct aerodynamics that work best with my situation are to add some some fuzzy dice to the windshield and a bobbing Jesus on the gas tank.

replace it with a Rifle :rolleyes:
Seems like a rather expensive fix for what should be an easy solution. I'll do some experimenting with tape on my next ride.
The spacers would probably fix it but, maybe Cee Bailey has a fix?? I'm sure they would like to hear your complaints and why you would want to put tape on their product.

just saying.

On my 06 when new I intially didn't think I had the whistle, but after a short amount of time started to hear it. I wear ear plugs under my full face so later did the fix. So is this "whistle" common with any window you use? Stock, Baily's? If so, its in the "W" bracket that holds the windows in place and is caused by small openings under the bracket, that is, if you get down in front of the bike and look up under the "W" bracket, where the allen bolts are that are removed when taking the window off, is where the whistle on most all Gen II bikes are, ie, 06 to 08. Unless the 08 has fixed this problem. You can get the fix info in the historical data on the Gen II's here... Bin-O-Facts. If you choose to use silicone, the black will not discolor as much as the clear. And please DO NOT use adhesive if you ever want to take your window off and don't use electrical tape as this is a very hokie way to repair isn't it? I just put a small piece of weather stripping under the "W" bracket in 06, very simple, very clean and you don't see any item used to repair and haven't had a problem since and change the window on and off. I'm surprised so many here don't know about this common problem on the Gen II's. Searching out first would be the real answer. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D

You're not alone coleman...

I've got a Cee Bailey +4 +3 windscreen. And, for me, it's sweet-spot is to raise the screen about 3/4 up (I'm 6'4").

Unfortunately that is also where it likes to whistle.

I've ridden with my hand in the gap at the bottom of the screen and that stops the whistle. So I'll have to try tape in

various places until I run down the exact culprit and then switch to a more presentable solution. I've read the thread

in the B.O.F....I don't see me buying $30 spacers.

On my 06 when new I intially didn't think I had the whistle, but after a short amount of time started to hear it. I wear ear plugs under my full face so later did the fix. So is this "whistle" common with any window you use? Stock, Baily's? If so, its in the "W" bracket that holds the windows in place and is caused by small openings under the bracket, that is, if you get down in front of the bike and look up under the "W" bracket, where the allen bolts are that are removed when taking the window off, is where the whistle on most all Gen II bikes are, ie, 06 to 08. Unless the 08 has fixed this problem. You can get the fix info in the historical data on the Gen II's here... Bin-O-Facts. If you choose to use silicone, the black will not discolor as much as the clear. And please DO NOT use adhesive if you ever want to take your window off and don't use electrical tape as this is a very hokie way to repair isn't it? I just put a small piece of weather stripping under the "W" bracket in 06, very simple, very clean and you don't see any item used to repair and haven't had a problem since and change the window on and off. I'm surprised so many here don't know about this common problem on the Gen II's. Searching out first would be the real answer. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :D
I had a slight whistle on my stock screen but the whistle coming from Cee Bailey is much more noticeable in certain positions.

I would only put tape on as a temporary fix as I plan on switching screens from time to time. I like to ride with the stock screen in the summer on shorter rides but plan to use the Cee Bailey for my longer rides. I like your idea of using weather stripping.

I did search the bin o' facts first but didn't see anything related to this, but obviously I did a poor job of searching. Thanks for posting the link.

My research seems to show the sound is coming from the shown here:https://tinyurl.com/39ww9h

So changing windscreens may have no effect on it. The black silicone seems like a good

fix.

I have not bothered to fix mine, as it only occours at a certain windscreen position, and , I kinda like the sound.

KM

My research seems to show the sound is coming from the shown here:https://tinyurl.com/39ww9h
So changing windscreens may have no effect on it. The black silicone seems like a good

fix.

I have not bothered to fix mine, as it only occours at a certain windscreen position, and , I kinda like the sound.

KM

+1

Even after putting a Rifle Shield & blocks on my 07, the whistling persisted, fixed by black silicone. Then I crashed, Geiko took my baby, and now I'd give anything to hear that whistle again!

If you didn't install a thin layer of foam between the windshield and the mounting surface (like the factory windshield has) you create a crevice that the wind will find and create the ultimate whistle when riding over 40 MPH. The same happened to me with a Cee Bailey and the fix was some peel and stick foam from the local hardware store.

If you didn't install a thin layer of foam between the windshield and the mounting surface (like the factory windshield has) you create a crevice that the wind will find and create the ultimate whistle when riding over 40 MPH. The same happened to me with a Cee Bailey and the fix was some peel and stick foam from the local hardware store.
Very Interesting. I just installed a new CalSci windshield and I also noticed the new whistle. I thought it might be coming from the vent hole that is in the center of the CalSci shied. I didn't consider it might be the foam layer that is on the stock shield.

Can you provide any further details on the type of peel and stick foam you were able to find? I'd like to give that a try.

Thanks.

Ralph

Bingo! We have a wina.....PM. <>< ;)