Getting the very best quality out of your Gopro Hero 2.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike747

Reaction score
For those of you looking for the very best from their Gopro Hero 2's, I just did some testing that shows some pretty interesting results. So far all I've done is picture testing, not video testing. I briefly checked the manual and I didn't find anywhere that explained the amount of compression used to make a JPG in the various modes (more compression on a JPG = less color accuracy). So I did some quick tests with my two cards (a class4 and a class 10+ which is actually a 15 Mbit/s card) and found the following:

1. The 10 fps burst mode actually takes the pictures in about a half second and puts them in an internal buffer. So it doesn't matter what class of card you have. You will always get 10 photos taken in less then a second. But moving the pics from the buffer to the SD card will take much longer on a class 4 then a class 10+. My cards took 15 seconds and 6 seconds respectively. So the higher class card allows you to take another set of 10 fps burst sooner.

The flip side of this is the JPGs from the 10fps mode are compressed ALOT more then standard single shot mode. My photos taken at the same object both at 11 Megapixel mode were about 1.2 Meg in size in 10 fps mode and about 5-6 Meg in size in single shot mode. So in order for the camera to keep up with the demand in this mode, it compresses the JPG alot before writing to the SD card.

So if you absolutely need 10 fps second, just keep in mind the quality of the jpgs coming out are less then single shot mode. They will probably need some post production to make them look better.

2. The time laps mode showed similar results that 10 fps mode did when I had it set to 0.5 and 1 sec time laps. So the pics from 0.5 and 1 sec mode were compressed alot. But when I increased to 2 and 5 second time laps, the quality was much higher being equivalent to the single shot mode.

So if you want the higher quality pics in time laps you might want to consider 2 seconds as you minimum time.

3. I tested time laps with 0.5 seconds with the class 4 card thinking it would not be able to keep up. I was wrong. It does keep up. But it was because again the JPG was compressed alot. Even when I put my class 10+ card in, the JPG was still compressed alot. So the camera does not dynamically change the JPG compression based on the type of card you put in. It is just hard coded to do certain compressions with certain settings.

4. I repeated the above tests in 5 Mega pixel mode and found similar results. Just scaled to 5 mega pixel instead.

So if anyone is looking for the very best quality out of their pics, keep this stuff in mind when choosing your setup. You only get one chance at that golden shot.

Anyone else got some useful tips, please chime in.

For those of you looking for the very best from their Gopro Hero 2's, I just did some testing that shows some pretty interesting results. So far all I've done is picture testing, not video testing. I briefly checked the manual and I didn't find anywhere that explained the amount of compression used to make a JPG in the various modes (more compression on a JPG = less color accuracy). So I did some quick tests with my two cards (a class4 and a class 10+ which is actually a 15 Mbit/s card) and found the following:

1. The 10 fps burst mode actually takes the pictures in about a half second and puts them in an internal buffer. So it doesn't matter what class of card you have. You will always get 10 photos taken in less then a second. But moving the pics from the buffer to the SD card will take much longer on a class 4 then a class 10+. My cards took 15 seconds and 6 seconds respectively. So the higher class card allows you to take another set of 10 fps burst sooner.

The flip side of this is the JPGs from the 10fps mode are compressed ALOT more then standard single shot mode. My photos taken at the same object both at 11 Megapixel mode were about 1.2 Meg in size in 10 fps mode and about 5-6 Meg in size in single shot mode. So in order for the camera to keep up with the demand in this mode, it compresses the JPG alot before writing to the SD card.

So if you absolutely need 10 fps second, just keep in mind the quality of the jpgs coming out are less then single shot mode. They will probably need some post production to make them look better.

2. The time laps mode showed similar results that 10 fps mode did when I had it set to 0.5 and 1 sec time laps. So the pics from 0.5 and 1 sec mode were compressed alot. But when I increased to 2 and 5 second time laps, the quality was much higher being equivalent to the single shot mode.

So if you want the higher quality pics in time laps you might want to consider 2 seconds as you minimum time.

3. I tested time laps with 0.5 seconds with the class 4 card thinking it would not be able to keep up. I was wrong. It does keep up. But it was because again the JPG was compressed alot. Even when I put my class 10+ card in, the JPG was still compressed alot. So the camera does not dynamically change the JPG compression based on the type of card you put in. It is just hard coded to do certain compressions with certain settings.

4. I repeated the above tests in 5 Mega pixel mode and found similar results. Just scaled to 5 mega pixel instead.

So if anyone is looking for the very best quality out of their pics, keep this stuff in mind when choosing your setup. You only get one chance at that golden shot.

Anyone else got some useful tips, please chime in.

Where do you mount the GoPro? Do you have any pictures of where you mount it on the FJR? I want to get some video of our rides but I'm not sure where to mount this camera and I don't like the helmet mount idea. Thanks

Good info, Thanks
Yeah, thanks for sharing your data. :clapping:

I'm just at the beginning of my go pro use...so I am a newb and have nothing of value to share as of yet.

As far as mounting locations are concerned, a wizened old fool showed me a great place to mount the go pro. Suction cup mount (with safety lanyard or strap) on top of left side plastic behind the left side glove box. Supporting arm projects to the left of the plastic and you rotate camera upside down. The view is of the road ahead, your front wheel and the left side fairing plastic...great shot as it is lower on the bike. Obviously, you must set the camera to "upside down camera mode" so the image plays back "right side up" on your computer screen or TV screen.

I have raw video of it on my computer, but the files are long, and I haven't perfected post production yet.

Fairlaner posted a video with this view and called it "Wheatie and the Wing" if you want to search for it.

There is a pretty good discussions about this here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=143079&st=0&p=929053&fromsearch=1entry929053

Personally, I think mounting to your helmet will give the very best dampening of the video.

But on the bike I've mounted with these:

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-mini-motorcycle-mount-base-9mm-hole-ram-b-272u.html

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-medium-arm-b-socket-ram-b-201u.html

https://www.gpscity.com/gopro-hero-tripod-mount-adapter.html

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-round-plate-with-1-inch-ball-ram-b-202u.html

I have mounting points on my top rack underneath the top case on both left and right side for a cool rear view. I've also put them near the passenger foot pegs for a cool front and rear view, though I found when I used my highway pegs this view gets blocked by my feet a bit. And I attached a ball to the left side mirror using the ball from that first link.

But all mounts can yield some vibration. Depending on the quality of the pavement. Nothing will dampen the vibrations like your body will. This year I'll focus on helmet mounting and frame mounting near or on the frame slider. Of all the views I have, the lower ones have the coolest look. But have limited field of view.

Good info, Thanks
Yeah, thanks for sharing your data. :clapping:

I'm just at the beginning of my go pro use...so I am a newb and have nothing of value to share as of yet.

As far as mounting locations are concerned, a wizened old fool showed me a great place to mount the go pro. Suction cup mount (with safety lanyard or strap) on top of left side plastic behind the left side glove box. Supporting arm projects to the left of the plastic and you rotate camera upside down. The view is of the road ahead, your front wheel and the left side fairing plastic...great shot as it is lower on the bike. Obviously, you must set the camera to "upside down camera mode" so the image plays back "right side up" on your computer screen or TV screen.

I have raw video of it on my computer, but the files are long, and I haven't perfected post production yet.

Fairlaner posted a video with this view and called it "Wheatie and the Wing" if you want to search for it.
Ya, that is the other mounting option I wanted to try this year. I bought the motorsports version so I have that suction cup. It probably will work very good.

Thanks for the suggestions, the suction cup mount is appealing but I'm concerned it will slide loose or mar the paint. I may go with a mount that fits on my jacket as opposed to attaching to the bike.

Thanks for the suggestions, the suction cup mount is appealing but I'm concerned it will slide loose or mar the paint. I may go with a mount that fits on my jacket as opposed to attaching to the bike.

I understand that, you having a black bike. Boot scuffs on the bags I notice...but with a silver bike, and having ridden to both coasts and points inbetween, after awhile I figured I'd just ride the damn bike and let it serve me.

I think that the shots lower on the bike make for better video as the "wide angle" lens effect somehow doesn't look as exciting higher up. I do have the helmet mount...but whenever I see that on other's videos I am just not as impressed as that shot down the road with a group of riders.

BTW, I'm not knocking the black bike. It's the sexiest color so far. I would just have a hard time keeping mine in showroom condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Ya, that is the other mounting option I wanted to try this year. I bought the motorsports version so I have that suction cup. It probably will work very good.
BTW, though I would never use the suction cup mount without a safety lanyard for the camera, that suction cup mount never budged the whole way though California, Nevada, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, or Illinois last May. On all manner of roads and all manner of speeds.

That it didn't budge surprised the heck out of me...me being a natural skeptic.

I understand that, you having a black bike. Boot scuffs on the bags I notice...but with a silver bike, and having ridden to both coasts and points inbetween, after awhile I figured I'd just ride the damn bike and let it serve me.

I think that the shots lower on the bike make for better video as the "wide angle" lens effect somehow doesn't look as exciting higher up. I do have the helmet mount...but whenever I see that on other's videos I am just not as impressed as that shot down the road with a group of riders.

BTW, I'm not knocking the black bike. It's the sexiest color so far. I would just have a hard time keeping mine in showroom condition.
Man, you sure do some riding! I won't be able to do east to west and back rides until I retire. You are right; having a black bike in near showroom condition makes it very difficult for me to mount things on it that may bruise the paint. I'm sort of a stickler about scratches and scuffs; body shops love me! Oh well, I'm sure I will figure something out, not quite riding season yet here in NY so my mind is in overdrive trying to figure this one out.

I have a black bike and yes black does kick ass. And tends to be a bit faster too. But when it comes to mounting the suction cup, I'll probably put some black sticker down. I bought a bulk sheet of black at a dirtbike shop. Matches the bike well. They had clear also. The sticker is smooth enough that the suction cup should stick and protect my paint.

But all mounts can yield some vibration. Depending on the quality of the pavement. Nothing will dampen the vibrations like your body will. This year I'll focus on helmet mounting and frame mounting near or on the frame slider. Of all the views I have, the lower ones have the coolest look. But have limited field of view.
I haven't found that vibration is a huge problem, due to the extreme wide angle view of the GoPro. The low angle views are cool, especially those that show the suspension working. Probably the best is a low mount as well as a helmet cam and cut between them in the finished video!

Yes, I would be interested in how that mount onto the slider looks. Thinking of a Gopro 2 for this June's big ride, will move it around between three bikes.