''Gipro x-type''gear indicator installed in Gen1 2003/abs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mihalis fjr

Reaction score
Just today i installed this elegant and useful gear indicator.The installation was very easy!The kit had 4 wires that i splice these with the included scotchlok without to need cutting or soldering any wire,near to the ECU coupler.

The black wire i screwed it in the screw that hold the toolbox in the frame over of the ECU.

The small wire harness i passed it under the tank and took it out from the opening that the clutch hose goes to the frame opening.

Τhe small digital screen i put it on a small plastic home made mount a bit longer than the screen and i glued, the plastic mount down of the meters with a automotive double adhesive tape and the digital screen on the mount with velcro tape for easy removing when i need to remove the dash panel.

The following instructions came from a friendly person from the Gipro healtech electronics..:

> 2) Splice the Red GPX wire to any +12V switched power lead, e.g. to the> Red/White wire at the ECU connector.> > 3) Splice the Black GPX wire to chassis ground, or the negative battery> terminal.> > 4) Splice the White GPX wire to the White/Yellow (speed signal) wire atthe> ECU connector.> > 5) Splice the Green GPX wire to the Gray (crankshaft sensor signal) wireat> the ECU connector.> > > Note: For splicing, wire tap connectors are included. No need to cut or> solder any wires.
https://www.healtech-electronics.com/

I post and some photos..

P1010293_zpsd3ffa506.jpg

P1010292_zpsfc6129a1.jpg

P1010289_zps2d6e8262.jpg

P1010291_zps1635bc01.jpg

P1010288_zps59c30b58.jpg

P1010287_zps6f87930d.jpg

P1010286_zpsa13b7ff1.jpg

P1010295_zps5325c3d8.jpg

P1010294_zps8fec0730.jpg

P1010296_zps463739a4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those connectors aren't going to hold up. In a few weeks your gear indicator will go a little crazy, indicate incorrectly or arbitrarily, maybe stop working altogether. Under the dash of a car those things have a short enough useful life, but out in the weather (and that area is out in the weather) they'll have a useful life of weeks, maybe days. You really should do those splices with soldered connections covered with heat-shrink. That's assuming the unit itself lasts that long.

Aside from the splices: my '03 had one of those on it from the original owner, but it didn't work. I replaced it with a brand new one, and it was just a few months when the unit had water inside it and failed.

Thanks for the pictorial! I would recommend better connectors as well. I have used POSI-TAPS to install the same GiPro gear indicator on my SuperTenere 1200 without any issues.

Have a look at how they work, no cutting, no soldering:

https://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Those connectors aren't going to hold up. In a few weeks your gear indicator will go a little crazy, indicate incorrectly or arbitrarily, maybe stop working altogether. Under the dash of a car those things have a short enough useful life, but out in the weather (and that area is out in the weather) they'll have a useful life of weeks, maybe days. You really should do those splices with soldered connections covered with heat-shrink. That's assuming the unit itself lasts that long.
Aside from the splices: my '03 had one of those on it from the original owner, but it didn't work. I replaced it with a brand new one, and it was just a few months when the unit had water inside it and failed.
This means you will need a Gen II or III.
smile.png

Thanks for your replies and for your info about the connectors,These scotchlok are the new improved version with two U blades per wire and full of grease inside the box..

Anyway..if it stop working i will replace them with Posi-taps..
smile.png

For now it working Great
yahoo.gif
and looks beautiful i think in the bike
smile.png

i use this scotchlok with four blades and with dielectric grease inside new version:

sl-558_zps98594e97.jpg

Which of the two you mean has problem?

This is the old version with one blade without dielectric grease:

0-560-04-red-scotchlok-for-065-15mm-cable-8403-p_zps5191bb47.jpg

Mihalis, what is the color of the LED of your GiPro? Got pics with it lit up?

Mihalis, what is the color of the LED of your GiPro? Got pics with it lit up?
mingo,i liked the blue color or the green like the meter lights,but finaly i decide to buy the red color because you can see the digits more easy at daylight..Not bad and in night!i will get some pics with light up and i will post it..

This picture is from the website:

Healtech_GPDS_colorsz2_zpse7a16517.jpg

I have red on my other bike and it's very bright in sunlight, but I really wanted the blue, but wasn't sure if was bright in daylight, so I thought I'd ask you in case yours was blue!! :)

I have red on my other bike and it's very bright in sunlight, but I really wanted the blue, but wasn't sure if was bright in daylight, so I thought I'd ask you in case yours was blue!!
smile.png
The second choice in brightness in daylight is the blue one,you can buy a blue lcd screen only if you like in good price from this website:have a look:

https://www.carpimoto.com/EN/Brand_HealTech/Page_7/34533_GIPRO-X-BL-Gipro-X-Type-Gear-Indicator.htm

The blue one how it looks in the daylight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPRfWuxxAJU

Blue one in XTZ1200:

I had a gear indicator on my bike at one time. It had stopped working. Somewhere along the line there was some work done on my bike & it was taken off altogether. I still have it in my house somewhere.

I had a gear indicator on my bike at one time. It had stopped working. Somewhere along the line there was some work done on my bike & it was taken off altogether. I still have it in my house somewhere.
Why you don't try to install it again correctly..?It is very useful accessory..especially in the highway,when you try to find the sixth gear..or when you are in fifth gear and you think that you are in fourth gear..
smile.png

Thanks for the videos.. You're right, RED is definitely brighter.. You can see my red gear indicator on the right of the speedometer and look at the red Datel voltmeter below the tachometer. The GiPro LED is clearly visible in sunlight, the Datel red LED, not as much.

i-6nPN47F-XL.jpg

Thanks for the videos.. You're right, RED is definitely brighter.. You can see my red gear indicator on the right of the speedometer and look at the red Datel voltmeter below the tachometer. The GiPro LED is clearly visible in sunlight, the Datel red LED, not as much.

i-6nPN47F-XL.jpg
Yes!I see is really bright!I would prefer and an auto dimmer for the night..but they have install this gadget in their bigger model with bigger digits like DS series..Your cockpit panel is great!I like it!!I have and a Super Tenere too but the 750/90model..very far in design from this model..My counter write 150.000 miles/250.000 about km without any problem all these years...Only a rectifier regulator at 1995 i was replace then..!

https://www.google.gr/search?q=super+tenere+750+photos&hl=el&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=r57tUPXfBcSS0QXU9oFI&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=705

My bike and some pics of XTZ750 cockpit panels:

XTZ750--cockpit_zpsf5a3eb43.jpg

yamaha__xtz_750_super_tenere_1993_3_lgw_zps4d262c4c.jpg

LeBiYamXTZ750SupTen1_01_zps46dfe140.jpg

150794_147813215350646_385392762_n_zps308b6646.jpg