Givi box airborne at 80mph!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a low side crash with an E460 on my old ST1100 (at about 45-50mph). I had the side bags off that day so the Givi actually took all the force in the back. The bag stayed on, but I hit with enough force that the back frame rails actually got twisted.

The Givi locking systems work really well if you get them "clicked" in.

So how many trunks need to fall off before people do the FredW failsafe mod? :huh: Just sayin'. ;)

I have yet to hear of a Yamaha top case falling off at speed once they reinforced the bottom plate with steel. It is considerably more expensive but you get what you pay for... I would do it again.
Well i lost the Givi V46 box off the back of the bike as i made a pass of a truck. I hit a good bump in the road and it was gone and bouncing!.
Just uploaded the video of your Givi incident:
Seeing is believing Trent. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Givi is bigger than the Yamaha but I have had mine up to 145 mph with the Yamaha top box on and redesigned factory bracket and it doesn't budge.

Fred W just wanted to say thank you for the tip. I did this today and it was pretty easy but I have a question.

How far down does that pin come down in the back? Mine was way down and I could not live with that. I took the Dremel and a cut off wheel to it and cut it at the third hole, leaving 2 full holes. I need to get a smaller keeper pin now, but no worries on that. I just did not want to see it from the rear. As it is with a zip tie through it works until I run back to Ace Hardware(I love Ace Hardware)for a much smaller pin.

Do you have a pic of yours from the rear, looking strait on it? I am just wondering if it is another 2010 thing, like my right slider not going through the fairing? Is that a Givi mount also? I know, so many questions.

Getting ready to make my first trip and wanted all these "safety" fixes in place to help make it a fun trip with no worries. Not sure this is needed but pretty easy thanks to your directions, so a safety net is in place to repel Flying Givi Trunk Syndrome(FGTS)on my bike.

Hey LAF,

The best picture for what you ask is this one:

100_1564.jpg

Here you can see that my standard Home Despot clevis pin hangs down to about half the diameter of the Givi frame tube. This allows me to put the spring retaining clip in the 3rd hole up from the bottom of the clevis and the clip is totally flush with the bottom of the plastic Givi trunk mount plate.

Yes, if closely viewed from the rear, a scrupulous observer would be able to detect the FGTS prevention system is in place. But I'm thinking if they can see that they need to back the hell up as they are way too close for my comfort!

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/53657821@N04/4960767094/" target="_blank">https://www.flickr.com/photos/53657821@N04/4960767094/</a>

<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/53657821@N04/4960172369/" target="_blank">https://www.flickr.com/photos/53657821@N04/4960172369/</a>

First time posting pictures here bear with me.

i have had the bike up to 155 indicated with the givi box fully loaded with no issues. just last weekend....!

13500 miles on the bike and box.

The box seems like its a bit loose fitting now since the get off.

But the Iphone works fine still !
Well now you have a reason to get the whole bike a custom paint job!

Hey LAF,

The best picture for what you ask is this one:

100_1564.jpg

Here you can see that my standard Home Despot clevis pin hangs down to about half the diameter of the Givi frame tube. This allows me to put the spring retaining clip in the 3rd hole up from the bottom of the clevis and the clip is totally flush with the bottom of the plastic Givi trunk mount plate.

Yes, if closely viewed from the rear, a scrupulous observer would be able to detect the FGTS prevention system is in place. But I'm thinking if they can see that they need to back the hell up as they are way too close for my comfort!
Yes must be a change on the Givi mounting rack and a '10 thing <_<

On mine with a 3/8" x 2" pin it was down past my rail a bunch. I also think the "honeycomb" on the bottom is different or probably I am different. I had a conical shaped spacer that fit perfect in the bottom of the mounting rack up into the honeycomb area. I drilled eggzactly where you show and it is what it is. And since it is "insurance" only it really should not be over thought, just start with the recommended stuff and rig it as you go :p

My biggest concern besides looks was to not bind or pull anything to distort either the case or bracket, creating a FGTS of my own making :eek:

I am fine now but think when I get the new pin in I will snap a pic.

Again thank you and it was a day of "safety" fixes on the FJR.

I finally applied loctite to my side bag locks which were dry and pretty easy to turn out using a T-10 security bit in a screwdriver.

I pinned my side bags and that is totally worth the 2.24 each the spring pins cost at Ace Hardware.

And I pinned the Givi Top Case.

I mainly use my Givi E50 when I'm on trips and take it in to my motel room each night.

What's a good way to pin the top case so that it can also be removed easily?

I like Fred's method of pinning the case but it doesn't look like the design allows for easy removal and installation.

I try to put only the things in the trunk that can stay with the bike overnight if possible, like extra gloves, liners, raingear, etc.

But I do also keep my netbook, camera and a travel bottle of some kind of hooch in there. The best solution, IMO, is to put those things you'll be hauling in and out of the No-Tell Motel in a smaller soft bag of some sort.

Just like using the bag liners in the side bags, it makes like much easier not having to haul the hard bags in and out each day. It also allows them to be pinned without concern for how inconvenient it is.

I try to put only the things in the trunk that can stay with the bike overnight if possible, like extra gloves, liners, raingear, etc.

But I do also keep my netbook, camera and a travel bottle of some kind of hooch in there. The best solution, IMO, is to put those things you'll be hauling in and out of the No-Tell Motel in a smaller soft bag of some sort.

Just like using the bag liners in the side bags, it makes like much easier not having to haul the hard bags in and out each day. It also allows them to be pinned without concern for how inconvenient it is.
Yep... I use the trunk bag from my old GL1500 Goldwing for inside of the Givi but... my Aerostich bike cover fits MUCH BETTER when the Givi is removed so I prefer to just carry the entire top case into the room with me.

I'm just thinking that I could drill the case and adapter plate then glue fender washers onto the underside of the plate and inside of the case (along with a sealing washer). That should allow me to just push a clevis pin up from underneath and then insert the hitch pin clip on the inside of the case.

I'm just thinking that I could drill the case and adapter plate then glue fender washers onto the underside of the plate and inside of the case (along with a sealing washer). That should allow me to just push a clevis pin up from underneath and then insert the hitch pin clip on the inside of the case.
Yeah, you definitely could do that. Before you do any gluing try it out first. It isn't all that hard to insert and remove the pin anyway. The worst part is moving the junk in the trunk enough to access the hole in the bottom.

You might consider inserting the pin from inside the trunk and gluing or otherwise fastening the clevis pin in place. Then you'd just have to align the pin with the hole in the mount plate and snap the hitch pin in from the underside. Of course that would mean there would be a pin sticking out from the underside of the trunk when it is off the bike.

Yeah, you definitely could do that. Before you do any gluing try it out first. It isn't all that hard to insert and remove the pin anyway. The worst part is moving the junk in the trunk enough to access the hole in the bottom.

You might consider inserting the pin from inside the trunk and gluing or otherwise fastening the clevis pin in place. Then you'd just have to align the pin with the hole in the mount plate and snap the hitch pin in from the underside. Of course that would mean there would be a pin sticking out from the underside of the trunk when it is off the bike.
When the trunk is off the bike, it's hanging from a large hook on the wall of my garage.

That's a pretty good suggestion, Fred.