Givi V46 Latch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
I'm embarassed to post this question, but I just purchased a V46 and can't figure out how to close the latch properly. I've looked at it for a while and it catches, but not when completely closed and it doesn't stay latched. I'm missing something.

Tips?

I'm embarassed to post this question, but I just purchased a V46 and can't figure out how to close the latch properly. I've looked at it for a while and it catches, but not when completely closed and it doesn't stay latched. I'm missing something.
Tips?
there is a bit of a trick to the latch (at least on mine)

first off all make sure that it opens all the way. Open the lid and look at the latch from the inside. the long piece that actually grabs the top should click all the way back. I often have to flip mine so that it resets all the way back. OR - look at the push button. did it pop back out or did it stay sort of recessed like when opening? it should also pop out.

then just make sure that the lid is closed all the way (no straps hanging out or something keeping it from being tight).

- then just push the locking mechanism in - it is sort of a different movement/direction than seems natural.

easier to show you than to describe

I wonder if the case might be distorted. If I stuff too much in mine unevenly, say a jacket above my usual stuff causing the case to slightly distort, the latch sometimes doesn't stay latched until I rearrange things more evenly.

When closed but not latched, is the gap between the two case halves even around the entire case?

Can the latch be closed with the case open? (If it latches with case open, the release button will not release the latch. To release it, push the latch toward the back of the case and push da button )

don't be embarassed -- i had the same problem.

if the lid closes flush -- you'll be fine latching it.

The key must be in and unlocked to latch/unlatch.

push in to engage the latch (look inside and you'll see what i mean), then kinda push down on the 'push' sticker. should work fine once you do it the first time.

Got it!!!!

Thanks fellas. I was being a dork. Boggles the mind that I can install an audiovox CC and not be able to close the latch on a piece of luggage!

Mogan

Don't feel too bad these latch are so simple they are a problem. If the release button is not in the out position you can have a time getting it open. I talked to the place where I purchased mine and as he reminded me this bag was really design for the scooter market. It is so light duty they do not even offer a luggage rack. If I were doing it again I would purchase the more expensive one. As the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". RIDE SAFE

I talked to the place where I purchased mine and as he reminded me this bag was really design for the scooter market. It is so light duty they do not even offer a luggage rack.
Funny, my V46 has a luggage rack. I've always wondered about the strength of it though. Many high G-force takeoffs with pillion have left it without any cracks or loosening.

I talked to the place where I purchased mine and as he reminded me this bag was really design for the scooter market. It is so light duty they do not even offer a luggage rack.
Funny, my V46 has a luggage rack. I've always wondered about the strength of it though. Many high G-force takeoffs with pillion have left it without any cracks or loosening.
MONOKEY® cases have a bigger capacity than MONOLOCK® cases and are for use on motorcycles.

MONOLOCK® cases have a smaller capacity and are usually used on scooters and maxiscooters.

This is what is on the GIVI site. The V46 is a MonoKey so it should be the stronger case.

Bob