Glove recommendtion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWILKIN650

Reaction score
I'd like a new set of gloves for non-winter wear here in S.E. Texas. I've been looking at Held Titans and Phantoms, and at Alpinstar GP Tech, GP Pro and GP Plus gloves, with lots of protection. I've currently got Lee Parks Deersport Tan gloves with the long gauntlet and they are comfortable but the gauntlet is a bit fiddly. I'm willing to sacrifice SOME comfort for an extra level of protection. Since I've had about $30,000 worth of carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands, and have rheumatoid arthitis, I want the best protection I can get....unless wearing gloves with gobs of plastic sliders and rayskin make them too uncomfortable for every day use. Anyone one any of these models and love them for sport touring? Or are they best used and endured for their extra protection on the track and don't make the transition to sport touring very well? Comments?

I'd like a new set of gloves for non-winter wear here in S.E. Texas. I've been looking at Held Titans and Phantoms, and at Alpinstar GP Tech, GP Pro and GP Plus gloves, with lots of protection. I've currently got Lee Parks Deersport Tan gloves with the long gauntlet and they are comfortable but the gauntlet is a bit fiddly. I'm willing to sacrifice SOME comfort for an extra level of protection. Since I've had about $30,000 worth of carpal tunnel surgery done on both hands, and have rheumatoid arthitis, I want the best protection I can get....unless wearing gloves with gobs of plastic sliders and rayskin make them too uncomfortable for every day use. Anyone one any of these models and love them for sport touring? Or are they best used and endured for their extra protection on the track and don't make the transition to sport touring very well? Comments?
Twilkin,

I have Held's. I got them on sale at the Beemer shop for $100.00. They are comfortable,highly protective Kangaroo/Carbon fiber with carbon fiber knuckles.Those knuckle gard saved my hands once in a get off so i'm partial to them on all my gloves.

Brother TWILKIN, I almost never offer recommendations on products, or behavior,

but I've such a strong opinion on this, that I feel compelled to share my wisdom with you.

Racer - High End.

Made in friggin' Austria.

RacerHighEnd.jpg

Incredible comfort, fit, protection, and durability.

And excellent feel.

(If I'm not mistaken, Sacramento Mike wears them while he's stringing beads and sequins down at the Senior Center.)

I prefer them over any Held. You'll LOVE 'em.

(Motorcycle Superstore has them for about $200. Free shipping, I think.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Noted. I bought a pair of Held Sprints on closeout from New Enough last winter and put some mega mileage on them. Best gloves I've ever owned. So much so I almost ordered another set before they finally sold out of them. Their holding up really well and could use a good cleaning. I'm not sure they have another season left in them though - besides, I'm a gear slut.

I have, and love my Alpinestar GP Pros - very comfortable and off a lot of protection including bridging the pinky and ring finger . . . I have a pair of GP Plus too - but really prefer the Pros

Many thanks for the comments and suggestions so far! I hadn't considered some of the brands/models suggested, but will surely look at them and solicit further comments. In addition to those already suggested, the various high end Knox Armour gloves look as if they fall into this category.

Twilkin ~ My opinion and experience only, YMMV, etc.

Comfort and suitability will depend pretty much strictly on YOUR hands! I am blessed (cursed) with large, hands... in most lines of glove, the XL is barely suitable for me because of the squareness of my palm area + larger than usual fingers.

Because of the shape and size of my hands, the molded knuckle protectors on m/c gloves are a crap shoot. They are molded to the "average" configuration of hands to fit more people... I guess I'm an outlier in the hand shape matrix. The spacing of the "bumps" is too narrow for me, and soon cause some real pain in my hands.

The best fitting and most comfortable of the six/seven pair of gloves I own are an old Joe Rocket pair which just happens to fit me. Held gloves seem to run to the small end of the scale, even in XL. I bought a nice pair from the neenernet, only to find that they absolutely weren't going to work. Gave them to my son, who loves them.

I've been down the carpal tunnel road myself, and in the past couple of years have begun to get the first signs of arthritis problems as well. Good on ya for looking for better protection!

Don

I have the Held Phantoms and Air Streams. Both offer great comfort however the Phantom is a serious glove w/ maximum protection. I perfer the Air Streams when commuting in hot weather and the Phantoms most of the time. I have large hands and I find the fingers slightly short but still very comfortable. By far the best gloves I have ever owned.

+2

Only comment is that they run small, and they only run to 2XL. I've liked them a lot, but my fingers push into the ends of the gloves and compress the insulation and my circulation, so I get cold fingertips. Otherwise, fantastic gloves.

You said you are willing to give up comfort for protection. I have read that the gloves with the rigid knuckles in them will sometimes break into pieces. Supposedly there have been several accounts where injuries have resulted from this happening when in an accident. Something to think about.

Brother TWILKIN, I almost never offer recommendations on products, or behavior,

but I've such a strong opinion on this, that I feel compelled to share my wisdom with you.

Racer - High End.

Made in friggin' Austria.

Incredible comfort, fit, protection, and durability.

And excellent feel.

(If I'm not mistaken, Sacramento Mike wears them while he's stringing beads and sequins down at the Senior Center.)

(Motorcycle Superstore has them for about $200. Free shipping, I think.)
They list another glove by Racer for Hot Weather called the Racer Summer Fit Leather Gloves. This one looks better than many "summer" gloves, but still not nearly as well protected as the High-End...

Could you please let me know what kinds of temps you've found the the Racer High-End gloves to be usable at before becoming too hot?

Many of the racing type gloves are loaded with leather and plastic but not much rubber. Rubber or foam will reduce the impact a fall has on your bones, ligaments and tissues. Plastic and leather will only prevent road rash and both together will do an excellent job which is great, but not if your bones are breaking. You can find gloves with all three (I don't know if the gloves you listed do or do not) and they would provide you with the greatest protection.

If you fall on an FJR the weight of the bike is going to add energy to your impact (depending on how you fall) and that make an absorption material critical. Road rash is unpleasant but not as unpleasant as a compound fracture!

David

...Racer - High End....
They list another glove by Racer for Hot Weather called the Racer Summer Fit Leather Gloves. This one looks better than many "summer" gloves, but still not nearly as well protected as the High-End...

Could you please let me know what kinds of temps you've found the the Racer High-End gloves to be usable at before becoming too hot?

Damn hot. Very often 90° - 100°. (Gets hot here in the summer.)

I may be odd, but honestly, hot hands aren't that unpleasant.

I like gloves from Lee Parks Design ( www.leeparksdesign.com ). I have the Deer tours for summer and the Deer Tours PCI for winter.