Merry Christmas winter gloves

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Dear wife of 31 years just got me these for Christmas.

https://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/winter_elite_ii/122/410

I did quite a bit of research and these have every feature I wanted...and one I don't: a gaiter that extends from inside the already large gauntlet. She got them from B.T.O. Sports for $125, free shipping, which is a lot of money for gloves, but as my aging father used to say, "Well, that is the last time I'll ever need to buy (this particular durable product)." I got the XL and they fit perfectly. The leather is very soft and supple. It does not say where they were manufactured but the stitching looks pretty good, uniform, only one or two small hanging threads. Now, if it will just quite snowing I might be able to try them out!

There was one other glove I considered ($101) but it had a zipper to close and tighten the gauntlet. No thanks, as a zipper is almost always any piece of apparel's or soft luggage's weak link.

I began my search hoping to simply replace my 10-year-old Power Trip Dakotas (finally worn out, maybe 50-70K miles of use), but of course they have been discontinued. The Dakotas, to me, were the perfect winter glove - about $65.

Tourmaster Winter Elite II
Price:

$139.99
rnddot.gif

The Winter Elite II, the ultimate winter touring glove, features Grade A water-resistant goatskin and sheepskin leather and a waterproof and breathable barrier by HiPora® for 100% waterproof performance. Inside the glove, a mcFit liner offers maximum comfort and fit in addition to the pre-curved palm and fingers. A built-in nylon polar cover for extreme conditions stows away discreetly when not in use.

Men's Available Colors & Sizes:

Black : XS-4XL

Women's Available Colors & Sizes:

Black : S-L

• Grade A water-resistant goatskin and

sheepskin leather provides comfort and

durability

• 6.5oz Exkin Air® insulation with a layer of

aluminized fabric provides warmth

• A waterproof and breathable barrier by

HiPora®

• mcFit (MT) technology liner offers maximum

comfort and fit

• Pre-Curved palm and fingers match the

shape of grips to ease hand fatigue

• YKK® Velcro wrist adjustments with TPR

pull for easy operation

• Wide Velcro gauntlet closure strap

• Gel cells built into the palm for comfort

and vibration damping

• Cord-lock gaiter extends from gauntlet for

additional weather protection

• Articulated forehand, knuckle, and finger

expansion panels for added flexibility

• An extra layer of grippy reinforcing leather

sewed into the thumb crotch and palm

• Armor padding on the back of the hand

and knuckles

• Thumb mounted shield wipe

• Built-In nylon polar cover stores in zippered

gauntlet pocket when not in use

• Reflective material on wrist cuff for added

visibility

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the first version of these gloves and they are awesome!
cool.png

P.S. They are not waterproof though so they will get wet... damhik. ;)

Me gots these gloves. Me likie. A lot. I have never have had wet hands and they are as warm as any glove I've ever had. Dunno why Tyler got wet hands, maybe it's because her gloves were the first version. But, that "Built-In nylon polar cover" -- just leave it in the built in zippered gauntlet pocket, I find it to be a useless nuisance.

First Gear TPG, technical performance gear, gauntleted gloves with thermolight and waterproof. Thin palm for heated grips, cannot find any more. Keep sewing the old ones, but thread wearing out.

Yes, these claim to be waterproof as opposed to merely water resistant. Time will tell. I figured the over-glove stored in the gauntlet pouch was likely worthless but the zippered pouch might be useful for...a key? Earplugs? The emergency $20 bill? I may end up cutting off the gaiters.

Well if I didn't have 3 pairs of winter gloves already I would get a set. I use a pair of tourmaster winter gloves now but not this model. I find I have to spray them a couple times a year with waterproofing. I have yet to find a glove that has been waterproof totally. But then again when your driving for several hours in a downpour situation what do you expect.

Dave

I used to have some Tourmaster winter gloves a while ago, but lost them in my move. I really liked them. Tourmaster, IMHO, makes great stuff. My current winter gloves are BMW Pro Winter Elites. I use a Knox Cold Killer glove liner when the temps really drop. So far it's working out well.

Congrats on the new gloves!!

Maybe I just got lucky, my Tourmaster gloves have been 100% waterproof in pouring rain, all day, day after day. Well, as long as I tuck them in my coat sleeve, if they go over the sleeve in heavy rain it will run down the sleeve and into the glove.

8427-0205-03.jpg

We have also found this Able Able #8512 coat which is hi viz, waterproof, windproof and comes with a zip-in liner. It vastly improves being waterproof and the sleeves will fit over the gloves. It also lets me wear my mesh in weather almost 20° colder than without. This lets me reduce the amount of gear I need to bring when traveling where the day and night temps are quite divergent.

09_8512_Pg2.jpg

As a hidden bonus, when I go through construction or police patrols they give me the 'Hey, bro' wave and usually a free pass through the area.
smile.png

We have also found this Able Abel #8512 coat which is hi viz, waterproof, windproof and comes with a zip-in liner. It vastly improves being waterproof and the sleeves will fit over the gloves. It also lets me wear my mesh in weather almost 20° colder than without. This lets me reduce the amount of gear I need to bring when traveling where the day and night temps are quite divergent.
Brand name corrected. ;)

So do you wear that in lieu of a normal riding jacket or in addition to it when it's cold?

...Brand name corrected.
wink.png

So do you wear that in lieu of a normal riding jacket or in addition to it when it's cold?
Thanks for that! It was a finger misfire. I had the coat on my lap and was reading the label as I typed.

I wear it as an outer shell over my riding gear. It brings new life to my black riding gear when I zip on the hi viz over my stealth black coat. We both were wearing the shells for all of EOM. It's handy in October when it's ~30°F as we leave New England and then again at the Mason Dixon line where it heats up but the rain takes over. My coat is at least 6 years and still in good shape.

Jeeze...THANK YOU. I swear I searched every variation of "Abel" products I could thing of. Jackets, coats, hi-viz, high visibility...Nothing.

I have a pair of these I really like and for a bmw waterproof glove the 75.00 price is nice too. Not as bulky as some and with heated grips they worked just fine down to 23 degrees last winter plus I carry a pair of silk liners that will insure no cold fingers no matter what.

Just like Ionbeam you have to tuck them under the rain gear to keep the water from running down inside the glove.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Allround-2-Gloves/dp/B004NEPCG6/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450645688&sr=1-9&keywords=bmw+gloves+motorcycle

I've used the tourmaster elite for about five seasons now. They are great gloves! The only negative I can express is they are a little bulky. This past fall I purchased a pair of warm and safe gloves so I don't know how much use I'll get out of my elites now.

I agree about bulky. They will take up a lot more room in the tank bag, maybe 50 percent more than the retired winter gloves. I also agree with Bug about silk liners. I've had some for about 10 years...until I loaned them to my brother for a cold morning hunt a few weeks ago...and he came back from his trek (and field dressing) with just one.