Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voyager: ya might wanna drop that pressure just a notch. Lower 30's seems to be the popular setting. Welcome aboard and good luck to ya. You'll find that the Exalto will soften up a little as time goes on. It will act a little more like a motorcycle tire as you pile on the miles, and also when ya drop the pressure just a bit.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Gary

darksider #44

23k and counting.

Voyager: ya might wanna drop that pressure just a notch. Lower 30's seems to be the popular setting.
I will do that. I wanted to see what a little more preside rode like, but will try something lower. I have only about 120 miles or so on it, but already seems pretty normal... Not too many curves around here, but the ones we have seem to track nicely...

Run Flat tires? Good grief, absolutely not. One thing i know about run flats is that they ALL have significantly stiffer side walls than regular tires. They're made that way on purpose. Maybe the Wings, with their 950 lbs of vehicle weight aren't as much affected by super stiff sidewalls. However, this is exactly what I DON'T want in a CT. The beauty of the Exalto that many of us run is that the side walls flex as well as they do. It's made to do this and it does it very well. That's why it feels as much like a MT as it does.

One thing about Run Flats that you might not know: when they are actually driven on... while the tire is flat, every reputable tire shop that I know of will refuse to patch, plug, or repair them. Their reason? I was told that once they've been used while "flat," there's a question about the integrity of the tire and it should be discarded. The sidewalls are designed not to flex, and when they are forced to do so because of being run while "flat," they should be replaced rather than repaired. I'm guessing that this has to do with research done by tire companies and/or insurance companies and their endless preoccupation with anything that could cause a lawsuit. Who knows. I don't know what kind of results Wingers are having with them, but from a safety standpoint, I would wonder. From a cornering standpoint, I'd think that they would not be a good choice for the lighter FJR.

Flex is your friend.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary, a stiffy is our friend - on the Wing. Many of the Hippo Darksiders like theRF for the safety of being able to ride the bike after a puncture. Not much of a difference with a RF on the big girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear another Admin went darksider for the weekend. I also hear he swore he only cross dresses on the weekends.
He has been added to the FAQ... He's still uncertain about which way he swings, but I think he may have a clue not to use PR3's for that kind of ride again. 2 failures at the same event, resulting in another rider probably going darkside shortly too. My PR3 was bald at 8500 as well, resulting in a quick run to Vegas for a new tire just before the event. ( Anakee 3)

Did you check the FAQ's bottlenose? The answer is in the colors.
detective2.gif

:fuck:

Did you check the FAQ's bottlenose? The answer is in the colors.
detective2.gif

fuck.gif
Holy SHIITE!!!

I didn't look at the list first time around...just looked for a post from the offender.

Even then, it took me a second or two to figure out the key was "blue and yellow".

I'm Dazed and Confused...but also not believin' it 'til I see photographic evidence of the crime!

I'm also skeptical. Somebody has to have a picture someplace..
Keep up the denial and I'll bring back the cat blood drinking initiation.
evilgrin.gif

Darksider #3 is missing something...

2ut5cn4.jpg

On the left is a bad thing to happen at o'dark thirty during a serious ride, far from cell service or civilization.

On the right is what happens when you wake a friend up at o'dark thirty and ask to borrow his wheel/tire and what ever else you can scavenge off his bike, like the brake caliper arm.

a407q9.jpg

And this is what a PR3 looks like after you rode the last several miles to the finish on a flat tire. (different rider) Note that the tire is off the bead!

2zipn9y.jpg

What you can't see is the cord stripes on most of the tire. The second shot above, you could put your finger thru the holes in the cords. No steel belts in PR3s.

What you can't see is the cord stripes on most of the tire. The second shot above, you could put your finger thru the holes in the cords. No steel belts in PR3s.
You should send those pics to Michelin and say how UNimpressive their PR3's really are

I omitted the plate to allow the rider to save face, but you can't have a bike that distinctively gay w/o it being recognized. I can't say it's safer though when most drivers scream and cover their eyes when they encounter it.

FYI - It's a good idea to carry the tools to remove your wheels...

Latest posts