Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you install a tire pressure monitoring system you can watch pressure and temperature rise to get an idea if you're running at the optimum pressure.
First of all, you need to go by feel. If you are happy with performance then (as Chuck35 mentions) temperature/pressure monitoring comes into play. If the tire is heating up at whatever pressure you choose then you probably need a bit more air.

I have some people suggesting that I should be in the mid to upper 20's
I would be very careful with that. Someone is either off pavement or a cruiser guy that doesn't really understand the dynamics in play.

Only a couple of people here have ever run in the upper 20's and that was for off pavement, IIRC. I have no knowledge of what the Wing guys are up to,

but they run Run-Flat tires with very stiff sidewalls. That is a different dynamic.

yet I am seeing here mid to upper 30's. I realize that every rider, tire, bike, etc is different but that is a significant difference.Since I do not know how the tire/bike should handle or how it may feel when the tire is at its limit I am still a bit skeered.

Certainly don't want my ignorance and inexperience to allow me to cross the line.
Ride like you normally ride. The CT has more grip than any moto tire you've ever ridden. It has some differences, but is not going to step out in the

corners unless you run really low pressures. It's much more resistant to slipping on sand or loose stones, tar snakes, etc.

The Raptor has a max pressure of 51 psi. What is the max pressure of the tires that y'all are running in the mid to upper 30's? Maybe that is the difference.
No, all the tires in this range have a max pressure of 50-51 psi or so.

I know how it feels when a mc tire reaches its limit and tells you it can't handle much more. Is there such a thing that is describable with a CT?
A tire is a tire. When it starts talking and wiggling in the back, it's close to the limit. CT is no different in that regard on the bike.

You really have to be pushing hard to get that when this much contact patch.

Regarding my prior chicken strip comment, the Raptors tread extends and rolls down the sidewall about an inch before the actual 'sidewall' begins.That is where the tire has the 3/8th inch untouched portion. I am assuming this is normal. ???
Yes, and you should never see any more edge wear under normal conditions. Too low of pressure or really, really hard riding will put more wear at the edges.

We have a couple of riders that push the envelope pretty hard. Nearly everyone else has pretty consistent wear across the tire. My two tires at 32 psi wore

very evenly across the tire for the entire life of the tire.

Your bike is about the same weight as the FJR, has the same torque & top speed is essentially the same with just a bit more Hp. Our experiences should be on par with what you will experience. Be careful of advice from people running narrower or wider rims and lighter bikes, or run flat tires. A bit different that your bike.

While individual taste varies, as do the reasons we go to the Darkside, you have to be the final judge of what works for your needs. I wanted maximum tire life and even tread wear for sport-touring with a lot of highway miles interrupted by sections of twisty roads, off pavement excursions that varied from dirt, mud, sand, river run rocks in dry river beds, water crossings, etc. I'm not a racer, but I'm not a slow rider either. The FJR lost none of it's ability to romp thru the twisties when running a CT. In the beginning, a full day of fun riding in the twisties would leave me with some soreness in my shoulders from the extra work. As tires improved and my muscles got used to the CT's differences I didn't notice that much any more. It's never going to have that effortless thought controlled steering that new bike tires have, but the feel remains consistent across the tire's life. Unlike moto tires that get progressively more work to steer as they wear. It's a slow process, so we really don't notice much until we change to a new set of tires.

ok...thanx again for all of the time necessary to provide this valuable info.

Just so I know and to get a feel...Gonna try 39, then down to 36 and then down to 33 if necessary.

Oh yeah...it's so. I am actually on my second tire. Replaced the first one with just short of 4k miles. It is working out nicely for its purpose.

they said; it will last longer, they said; it will be safer, they said.....

bub3.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/cops-car-bubbly-tire

I'm currently using RIKEN RAPTOR ZR A/S SL 205/50ZR-17, $85 with tax from tire rack.  Only have 6,000 miles on it since beginning of August which includes 4,700 miles trip from WNC to Utah.  Currently running 34psi to 35psi.  32 psi was too soft for WNC back roads.  Previous tire I used last year was BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S All-Season at 32psi and got 16,000 miles which included 7,500 mile trip from WNC to California and back.  

I am currently running the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S as was recommended to me by Brodie.  I have 6,000 miles on it and I think this is the best one yet of previous four car tires I have run.  Sometimes it's hard to believe there is a car tire on the back.  I hope to get more than 16,000 miles as experienced above, however.  Time will tell.

I am currently running the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S as was recommended to me by Brodie.  I have 6,000 miles on it and I think this is the best one yet of previous four car tires I have run.  Sometimes it's hard to believe there is a car tire on the back.  I hope to get more than 16,000 miles as experienced above, however.  Time will tell.
What is the tire size?  and what pressure are you running?

What is the tire size?  and what pressure are you running?
Here's a copy and paste from my order from TireRack a couple months back.  I am running 35 psi.  BTW, NoMar no longer carries the lead sticky wheel weights.  At least none that I could find.  I did find some from All Tire Supply, but they were spendy!

205/50ZR-17 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL

DOWNLOAD WARRANTY BROCHURE PDF

In Stock

$117.99

$117.99

As for the BF Goodrich Comp 2, I put it on just before EOM last year, and at 31 psi cold, I have been pleased with its performance. Currently it’s just over 20k with plenty of depth in its sipes. I don’t have a problem entering into the rainy season with it, however perhaps next spring I’ll be replacing it. 

So far, so good. 

Brodie

😊

I run higher psi due to it feels firmer in tight twisty curves in Western NC mountain roads.  Started off at 32 but just too soft.  I also run FJR ES on hard +3, 1 person + bags to increase the firmness.  I am a little too short and knees not good enough for one leg stops to run it at 2 person mode. Kind of treat it as more of a sports bike in the mountains.  The BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S All-Season was fine at 32psi in the mountains.

I'm running the Rikken Raptor as well, 34-35 psi.  I thought the 32 I started with was too mushy.  I've had 2 other C/Ts, so far I like this one best.

Here's a copy and paste from my order from TireRack a couple months back.  I am running 35 psi.  BTW, NoMar no longer carries the lead sticky wheel weights.  At least none that I could find.  I did find some from All Tire Supply, but they were spendy!

205/50ZR-17 BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S XL

DOWNLOAD WARRANTY BROCHURE PDF

In Stock

$117.99

$117.99
Lead sticky weights?  I got mine from Amazon.  Motion Pro brand in both 1/4 and 1/8 oz.

Lead sticky weights?  I got mine from Amazon.  Motion Pro brand in both 1/4 and 1/8 oz.

Are you sure they were lead?  And not stainless steel?

I bought a bunch of Motion Pro weights a couple years ago off Amazon.  They were stainless.  And NOT ONE of those POS weights have stuck on a wheel.  And judging by lots of other reviews on Amazon, I'm not the only one.  $$$ wasted.  I will NEVER buy any Motion Pro weights again.  EVER.

A lot of them are either plastic coated or plated steel these days.  I have had trouble getting them to stick sometimes - even after thoroughly cleaning the rim with solvent.  I have ended out using good quality foam tape or 3M trim tape.  I have some weights that clip on the center rib of the wheel. These can be re-used.