Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact patch bigger on the side?

I just remember all the MOTOGP guys saying they stand the bike up on corner exit to get on the fat part of the tire.

Just thought I would throw that in the mix.

that is one reeee-tarded tire set up. I would kiss the wife real good and hug the kids extra tight and put lots of extra stamps on the life insurance payment, cancell the stamps, better fed ex it, before I rode off on that jack ass set up. Add yourself some curb feelers so you will have a split second warning prior to busting your ass.
(muttering under my breath: "now where the hell is that Ignore button?")

Just think of the crap Otto Diesel, Gottlieb Daimler, Billy Harley and Art Davidson, Wilbur and Orville Wright, Robert Goddard (look it up, moron) etc., had to put up with when their visions became reality.

OC, you GO man! I hope you conclude this experiment and report back to prove to all the naysayers what a bunch of narrow-minded pussies they are.

I for one will follow this thread with great interest as I have reported MANY times over the 3+ years I've been active in this forum that my biggest gripe with riding the Feej (or any large, high-powered two-wheeler) is the way the bikes go through tires like a fat man goes through nachos.

It's awful hard to justify the gas savings I get on my FJR, based on an average 45MPG, when I go through $200 rear tires 3 to 4 times a year. Doesn't compare well with my 42MPG Honda Del Sol which just hit 106,000 miles and is only on its 2nd set of tires (and should be there for probably another 20K before needing new skins).

I for one would definitely go to the "darkside" for a 60k rear tire on my Feej. Hell, I'd be THRILLED with a 20K rear tire.

Best of luck and keep the shiny side up!

'howie

I read about mounting car tires on bikes years ago. Mostly cruisers and HDs. I even rode an old Pan Head with one way back in the day. More recently I caught some discussion on one of the lists about it and read some more. Recently I decided to give this a try. At least to discover if it would work on the FJR at all.
I'm really interested in hearing the final outcome of this one. I have been thinking of trying a car tire on my 07 Nomad. So far from what I have read they are working out fairly well. I put about 25,000 miles a year on my Nomad and could really benefit from a tire that gets better mileage. I have been a little nervous about changing over to the car tire because I didn't want to loose what little handling I have but, if a car tire can hold up to the handling ability of a FJR I think it will work just fine on my Nomad.

One thing I keep hearing is that the right air pressure (the sweet spot) is real critical when using a car tire on a bike so you may want to experiment a little. Just a thought.

OCfjr, Please keep going forward with your experiment. I am "ALL EARS".

Last edited by a moderator:
OCfjr, Please keep going forward with your experiment. I am "ALL EARS".

Dumbo1.jpg
obama_for_prez.jpg
Good one! :)

<snip>One thing I keep hear is that the right air pressure (the sweet spot) is real critical when using a car tire on a bike so you may want to experiment a little. Just a thought.
I agree. I didn't get to play with the pressures on the first test tire due to the leaks. Normally, I would expect to run around 28-32 psi on this size tire for a 2300 lb car, (with 4 wheels), so I'll be starting out about 35 and working down, then up. Too much pressure with too little weight and you will crown the tire and wear out the center in classic fashion. Too little and I suspect it will get pretty squirmy. I'm not concerned with the tire coming off the wheel though! It's hard enough to get it on w/o air. W/o air though, accel will spin the wheel in the tire. That lesson learned already. <_<

Just think of the crap Otto Diesel, Gottlieb Daimler, Billy Harley and Art Davidson, Wilbur and Orville Wright, Robert Goddard (look it up, moron) etc., had to put up with when before their visions became reality.
Fixed and +1
Appreciate the "fix", but all of the above named continued to receive "crap" LONG after their visions were realized.

Just look at all the crap Bill and Art STILL get to this very day...right here on this forum!

:)

Keep it up Eric. Next lets do studs and I can ride year around.

Looking foward to the test results. I never have been able to figure out how they can build car tires that deliver such good milage and scooter tires get 1/10 the life.

I dont know about the FJR with car tires, but I can tell all you guys that think a car tire on a bike will kill ya this one thing...If I had a dollar for every Honda Valykrie I see with a rear car tire here in South Louisiana cruising around with their rider still in 1 piece, I'd have enough money to buy another FJR! I see em ALL THE TIME with car tires, and they all swear that it's no problem. Keep in mind though, we have long, straight roads here, not short, twisty roads. But there are a number of these Valk riders that ride the hill country of texas every now n then and seem to have no problems.

Good luck with your experiment, let us know the outcome.

I dont know about the FJR with car tires, but I can tell all you guys that think a car tire on a bike will kill ya this one thing...If I had a dollar for every Honda Valykrie I see with a rear car tire here in South Louisiana cruising around with their rider still in 1 piece, I'd have enough money to buy another FJR!
Nah, it's just the same bike you are seeing over and over. It's a guy down the street goin to work. So you only get one dollar!

Besides, everyone knows Valkyries handle like shit before you put the car tire on 'em. :p

First off, it's a bitch to mount a stiff performance tire to a moto rim, even with the NoMar tire changer and three people, but it can be done. It takes all the tools you have though.
I now know it will fit on the FJR and while handling is different, it's not so different or bad that I feel unsafe. There is just an adjustment period. I don't think it's a big deal to adjust to the car tire at this point.

Geez, The only real problem I see is the three people part.. I, like Howie and a few others here don't have three friends.

Before any of ya jackasses start, I know most of ya would only recruit two people... Ha! that's where you dick up first. I mean why the hell should I have to do anything?I'm the guy doing this experiment ain't I put enough on the line?

Plus my garage an my beer. ;)

And the handling thing? I appears as though this may have been be overrated at this point..

Congrats dood. :clapping: Thanks for steppin out. B)

I remember when Webby caught shit fer cuttin up his airbox :dribble: Now it's all the rage.

Just think where we'd be if guys didn't listen to the voices in their heads.

:jester:

Radiohowie took the words right out of my mouth . Go for it .We need more people thinging and living out of the box .

Geez, The only real problem I see is the three people part.. I, like Howie and a few others here don't have three friends. Before any of ya jackasses start, I know most of ya would only recruit two people... Ha! that's where you dick up first. I mean why the hell should I have to do anything?I'm the guy doing this experiment ain't I put enough on the line?

Plus my garage an my beer. ;)

<snip>

Just think where we'd be if guys didn't listen to the voices in their heads.
See, this is why this forum is so great. There's always someone coming up with important issues that could otherwise be overlooked. Thanks Bustanut!

Ok, here's the scoop Busta - it's totally cool with some shops to mount a CT on a bike wheel. You just have to call around and find which ones will do it. I found a local to me shop that not only will do it, they have already done a bunch of them on other types of bikes and it's old hat. They only charge $25 for a walk in tire change too. That's a whopping $6 more than my normal bike tire R&R is, so I'm ok with that. True, my good friend DougC will do it for beer, but I don't want to abuse the guy's good will and the shop is closer than his garage too. (note: His garage, not mine, therefore more beer required. ;) )

And it's not that I listen to the voices in my head, it's just that they don't usually agree with each other. For some odd reason, this time they did. :unsure:

Yep, I see your still a dick-head. Some things never change.
Wow! Your intelligence is shinin through. How long did ya have to set and think of that response?

Ya gonna whine when ya get slapped?....Can't wait for that one :rolleyes:

:jester:

Ok, here's the scoop Busta - it's totally cool with some shops to mount a CT on a bike wheel. You just have to call around and find which ones will do it. I found a local to me shop that not only will do it, they have already done a bunch of them on other types of bikes and it's old hat. They only charge $25 for a walk in tire change too.
This is clearly fiction.

:blink: :angry: :blink: