Good article on Gas, octane, and Ethanol

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He says it is from 50-200psi and is not at boiling point only enough to keep it a liquid.Even if it was hauled at boiling the tank is sealed and the water would have no where to go.
The pressures that he states, would be consistant with a C6+ mixture with a few propane C3 and butane C4 components.

Highly volatile shit, tell your Brother in law to be verrry, verry careful, or Radmans post # 36 comes into play.

I've not had any problems with 10% ethanol now mandated for the Houston, Texas area and surrounding counties in the FJR, but a friend of mine with a V-Star with carbs says that his dealer has a list of all the bikes with carbs he has in the shop with driveability problems that require carb cleanouts. I checked with a second Yamaha dealer in my neighborhood and they report the same issues. Not so many problems with FI bikes but lots with carbs. Plugged pilot jets, etc. are reported. Any one else have this report from your dealer service dept.? :(

Tim, why would an ethanol blend plug up the pilot jets or a carb?
More likely, it's mixing bad gas with good in an attempt by the gas stations to sell more.
Ethanol cleans up deposits in carbs, tanks etc. in machines not previously run on it, hence the problems. If a carb has not been well cared for, it will have problems. Machines with good maintenance not so much so.