Good Place to stay in Northern California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caryb

Reaction score
The family is going to be doing some sight seeing in Northern California in Mid August. Specifically, we will be driving from San Francisco to the Humboldt Redwood forest. I was thinking that the town of Fort Bragg on the coast might be nice but I have no experience in that part of the state.

Any advice would be appreciated.

CaryB

You can't go wrong in any of those towns Cary.

Fort Bragg and Mendocino both nice and seemingly have enough Hotels and Motels for the need NOT to book in advance -- we've found anyway.

If you want to go real cozy though, the town of Elk is cool. Couple of miles below int. of hwy 1 and 128. The main street is about 2 minutes long but I think there's a B & B somewhere there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The family is going to be doing some sight seeing in Northern California in Mid August. Specifically, we will be driving from San Francisco to the Humboldt Redwood forest. I was thinking that the town of Fort Bragg on the coast might be nice but I have no experience in that part of the state.
Any advice would be appreciated.

CaryB
There are lots of motels in Fort Bragg, Eureka and here and there along Highway 101 through the redwoods north from Leggett. And there are B&B's all up and down the coast. Ferndale and Eurkea are hotbeds of B&B-ing.

You say you're driving. I hope that doesn't mean you won't be on the FJR. Those are some of the finest motorcycle roads in the world, especially California Highway 1 north from San Francisco to Leggett, and the county roads south of Ferndale on down past Cape Mendocino.

That's God's country. You'll have a great time, no matter what.

Thanks for the feed back... Given your responses I think we will plan on staying in or around Fort Bragg so the kids can be close to the beach.

I wish I were going to be on the FJR but its kind of hard to go 4-up on it :rolleyes: One day I will make it out that way on the bike but this is not the year.

CaryB

Thanks for the feed back... Given your responses I think we will plan on staying in or around Fort Bragg so the kids can be close to the beach.
I wish I were going to be on the FJR but its kind of hard to go 4-up on it :rolleyes: One day I will make it out that way on the bike but this is not the year.

CaryB
If the kids are old enough to ride, get Mom her own bike. That's what we did. Our kids have been grown now for 15 years and my wife still rides her own. She says the back seat's boring... She insists that I ride in front. (Notice I said "ride in front" not "lead." She can do THAT just fine from the rear, don-cha know! :D )

good advice given here and Fort Bragg can be kinda cool. It is a good area for the kids to get out as the long trails that pretty much go along the coast can keep active ones busy for a while.

While (as mentioned) typically you can get rooms ....I've been caught a couple of times where things were overbooked from Eureka and far south. While this is not the norm, you should call a few places to check occupancy levels before your trip just to make sure that some event isn't going on that fills everything up. Kathy and I spent about 3 hours, attempting to get a room when the county fair in Ferndale was going on. Occasionally same can happen in Mendocino/Ft Bragg.

Very special area of planet earth up there ...enjoy!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...beaches...Fort Bragg can be chilly. Even if the air is warm, the water is very cold.

For instance, tomorrow is forecast @ 69 degrees, cooling to 52 overnight.