GoPro mounting

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudslide Miller

Reaction score
So I bought the Go Pro RAM mount ball that AdamK had suggested in Dave's bracket thread (https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/159958-2nd3rd-gen-mirror-spacers-led-light-brackets/page-8? post #151)to try and mount my GoPro Hero2 on my Clearwater bracket. Unfortunately, for me, it was a fail. The bracket already has a little play in it and the GoPro RAM mounts (being rubber coated) have a little play also. In combination while going down the road with the additional bouncing around of the bike on the front suspension, my video had constant movement, like the camera was swimming in water (wavering and very unstable). When I have it on my helmet it is much, much more stable video but even there occasionally I will still get that wavering watery looking video.

So my next question would be: Has anyone gone from the Hero2 and upgraded to the Hero4? I'm curious to see if they made drastic improvements to the camera stabilizing software before I would shell out another $400 to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was shot with a Hero 2 attached to a side bag, and the front fairing. Yes, you have mounts on your plastics, but they're removable if needed. I don't care that they're there..

I've never had much luck with any kind of arm mounted camera.. the vibes just make it shake, as you've seen.

So my next question would be: Has anyone gone from the Hero2 and upgraded to the Hero4? I'm curious to see if they made drastic improvements to the camera stabilizing software before I would shell out another $400 to upgrade.
Hero 960 (one or two before the Hero 2) and a Hero 4.

The upgrades aren't about stabilization really. They're about frame rates, resolution, quality, and other features. A stable mount to begin with is the path to focus. It's why I also tend to stick to body mounts like chest or helmet.

I have several Hero 3's and I've been fighting the same battle. On my old Shoei helmet, I had the mount on top and it wasn't a problem. Loved the angle and stable video. With getting the FJR recently, I got a Shoei GT Air and the air vent is wide and in the place where the mount should go. If you put the mount in front of the vent, you can't open the shield. If you put it behind it, it's too far back. You can't chin mount it because of the vent on the chin, and I'm not convinced I'm ready for a side mount on my helmet just yet.

I bought a ram mount with the clamp and realized that if I was gentle, I could mount it directly to my mirror arm. I tried that and got the same impression you did. It's just too rough a ride, too much vibration, bumps in the road go right into the camera. Then I put my old helmet on, filmed a little bit and it's definitely clearer, but still some vibration.

A family member just got a Hero 4 and let me try it last night. I put the chest mount on and took it for a spin and for me, by far, the chest mount has been the most stable video yet. As far as video quality, I don't think you'll see a difference. Like mentioned above, the difference in them are small and at the very high end of things. Something like when shooting 4K, you might get 15 fps on the 3 (maybe 24 fps, I don't recall), and you can get full 30 fps at 4K on the Hero4. That's awesome, but most people have no way to watch 4K videos, so what's the point of shooting ultra high quality video no one can see? :)

The Hero4 is really nice, they changed some buttons and functions and I like it better, but not enough to buy one and discard my Hero 3's.

For me, I love the helmet mount shot. I get motion sick watching videos where the horizon flips with the bike turns. I'd rather see the horizon stay flat and the bike lean, which is what you get with the helmet mount. Honestly, I can't watch those low, side mounted camera angles where the road is flipping all around. I have to turn it off or I'll be searching for the barf bag
sick.gif

Yeah Dave, I'll check with Adam and see how it worked out. My bracket set-up being different from his, though, won't help for me but I would be interested to know if he is getting the same movement having the same RAM mount set-up. I agree with eflyguy that the arm mounts aren't worth a crap unless it is on a very, very solid mount and out of the direct wind (like inside a car and not on a bike). Doesn't sound like upgrading to the higher res H4 would be the answer either, so I guess I will stick to my helmet mount. Chest mount won't work for me as I have a 4" higher dark tinted barn door in the way. Just hard to get past the "dork" factor of having it on top my head.
sleep.png
bad.gif

PM sent, sorry, I didn't see your post until after I PM'd you. You can disregard that PM now, since the tinted barn door is going to be an issue :)

Seems to me the ram arm needs to be eliminated for one. You are most likely picking up vibration from the weight of the light on the end also. I don't need any more projects at this time. Busy enough as it is already. I did pick up a couple of new machines so in the future this may change once I get the bugs worked out and they are up an running.

Good luck, Dave

You will never get good results using a ball mount and arm. No GoPro has stabilization. To use them you need them on a vibration free and rigid mount like on the tank or center body or clamped very securely and close to a side part.

See, I can live with that. Do you have pics of the mountings that you did?
No, but one was simply on the fairing above and to the side of the headlight near the mirror, and the other was on a G21 bag, near the handle. Just basically solid surfaces securely attached to the bike.

I also have put them on the side of the fairing, down on the covers beside the radiator, and even on the side of the brake reservoir on the handlebar. Any solid mount point seems to work ok.

I've also got one on the right side of my helmet, which I've used to make video blogs for friends and family. That works well because I can turn my head to focus on a particular object..