Gorilla 8017 alarm installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
Just finished installing the Gorilla 8017 alarm/pager unit. $140/free shipping/no tax to most of US from cli-maxridinggear.com. Ordered on 10/30. Received on 10/31 by fedex. How fast is that?

Located main unit under seat on top of the AE electronics. Attached with the velcro strips provided. Installed the pager sending unit with velcro in same area, but not on the AE electronics and located the tilt sensor in same area on a vertical plastic piece (with a screw)which seemed to work better than the velcro and allows for easy adjustment to find the sweetspot to set the sensor. Located the red light indicator on the flat black panel above the battery centered left to right and about 1 1/2 inches from the front. Easy to hook up only going to battery terminals and routed under gas tank (lift front of tank about 3 inches to get in there) and inside one of the connectors going to the tank (maybe the fuel sensor??) to keep everything more centered under the tank so it is not visible by peaking thru the openings in front of and to the side of the gas tank. Instruction booklet provided is pretty self explanatory in most areas.

I spent about 2 hours, but alot of that time was just doing a good install and keeping wires, etc out of sight and the electronics in a good spot to avoid any future problems.

A couple of quick things. They say to use a 8mm drill bit. I didn't have a 8mm so I used a 5/16. just a tad smaller. Just ever so slightly use the bit to enlarge the hole. Remember to not over do it. Took me 3 times before I got to the best fit so I could push the light in with moderate pressure.

The other thing I would recommend is not hooking up the main power to the unit until everything else is done because you have to sync the keyfob remote and the pager remote one right after the other. Make sure the battery strip is pulled from the pager remote to power it before you sync either remote. Then sync the keyfob remote and immediately (as in 5 seconds) sync the pager remote. Just follow directions in doing this. Seemed a little confusing in the instructions in my opinion, but it could be I just had a mental block.

This alarm has a tilt sensor, a 2 stage shock sensor and a voltage sensor. The shock sensor has 7 sensitivity settings. Without spending the big buck for the ones that have ignition or fuel shutoffs, which introduce alot more complexity and cost, I think this should work just fine for me. The main reason I bought it was for when we travel, especially for parking at motels overnight, I can have the pager to notify me if any of the 3 sensors are tripped. Good peace of mind at a reasonable cost. Check it out if you are thinking of something. A good review on webbikeworld.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go, sounds like a good setup! Please keep us posted on how it performs, thank you for your post :rolleyes:

I've had one of these units in my watch list on that big ole auction site, but this price is even better. Your post was very timely - thanks!

That's seriously cheap. I've used Gorilla 7007 alarms on my bikes for years. The alarm with pager unit was always over $200 (the 7007 could typically be found for $85).

It's a great alarm system that's pretty easy to install (everything is contained within a single housing expect the wiring and tilt sensor).

You have to remember to set the alarm, but mine has always worked flawlessly.

Be careful about setting the vibration sensativity level. Whenever a Hardley with open pipes goes by, my alarm goes off in protest. :p

I got one off Ebay about 5 years ago for $139...It worked great for a month and them quit....I called Gorilla and they sent a replacement, didn't even ask for the old one back..and it has worked perfectly since then. Wish the pager had a stronger vibrator....oh never mind..

I'm on my second one of these. What I'm not liking about the "new" one is they got rid of the keychain loop so it's gotta stay in a jacket pocket. Which has led to one remote being lost from an improper zipping up, and the other forgotten in the "work tankbag" or other jacke.

Another issue is I cannot get the alarm sound selector to work. My first unit worked fine, but no matter how often I set it for the one tone I want, the box insists on going thru the entire cacaphony (deliberate SP) and sounds exactly like every misconfigured alarm system in the area.

Not sure I'm liking the changes. Didn't even use the system at all last year.