Great Ride in Arizona High Country

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That road looks suspiciously like 'chip seal'.
Stupid basterds should put up signs on the road! (when it's chip sealed) That is a heavly traveled m/c road, probably the fastest twisty's I ever did (and will ever do again) was on it last fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man...I was on that same road several weeks ago but in the opposite direction thinking it sure was "dirtier" than other times I've been on it. Hoping no one washes out in the turns.......then I read this! Bummer. What brand flip were you wearing? Curious to hear a post-mortem on it...whether the latch just failed or it wasn't fully engaged. Anyway, take it easy, heal up, and lemme know if there's anything I can do to help.

Man....sorry to hear that Greg. Looking at those photos....you can see there's lots of gravel in that little stretch...but it is definitely in camouflage mode..blending in with the pavement.

Not sure I would have seen that with my sunglasses off...

Glad you are not hurt worse than you were. :unsure:

Heal quickly there buddy! :clapping:

I love my flip up. :eek: I always squeeze both half's and hear a solid click before taking off. Now ya got me worried. Peeps have mentioned this to me at times and they don't trust them. Sorry to see ya hurt. heel quick and get the old girl fixed up. She still has another 100K left.

Dave

I was just over 5 miles outside of Jerome when it happened.................
IMG_5298-1.jpg
[SIZE=18pt]DAMN!!![/SIZE]

Very glad, of course, that your injuries weren't more severe, Greg.

And hoping too, that that fine old motorbike is repairable.

No injuries to your legs or feet? Remarkable.

And hopefully - once they've gotten over the shock - those ears will lie back down against your head.

(Beemerdons put me up to that. :D )

Get better quick, Skooter.

Greg - No matter what beemerdons says, you're really not attractive at all especially after this. Is this what you look like when you wake up in the morning with Don? :dribble:

Seriously. Sorry to hear of your get off. Glad your damage was not real bad but it is bad enough. That sucks! That gravel was hiding real well.

This also confirms why I will NOT ever own a flip helmet. :dribble:

He quickly bud, and don't pick the scabs. ;)

Heal up fast Greg and hope the 'ol whore isn't too banged up to ride again! Hidden sand and gravel are always things that worry me. Can't see it before it's too late...

--G

damn Scoot that just sucks... a large tadpole dick.

It just seems like there's no end to the issues we have to avoid. Hope everything works out somehow. Sounds ... expensive.

All the Best to you bro.

WOW! So glad you came out of that in decent shape. Shit, how long did it take them to truck your balls home? Flat bed or train car?, 'cuz you got some biggunz after making that ride home, dude! Stellar performance!!

Hope the outcome on your FeeJ repair is positive. Now go celebrate your survival and get ya a nice Arai to replace your old lid. That's the 3rd Modular I have heard direct accounts of flip up or total catastrophic flip up failure and none of them were inexpensive copies. Jury's out on that but I'll never give up my full face Arai.

Damn, Dude...glad you're (mostly) alright. BTDT in the gravel. There's a time to look way down the road and a time to see what's right in front of your wheel. I just need to learn when to do what.

BTW, you've got a room in Denver if you change your mind.

Remarkable post, sorry you had this low side get off, definitely high side would have been "jacked" going into the guard rail.

Speedy recovery and take some good ole' epson salt baths to get that soreness out.

Curious too about which flip, as I like just as much. However you were quite honest in saying that you were not sure if you snapped it shut all the way.

Heck, it's happen to me when I get riding and realized it not closed or, did not put the chin strap on"not good", but it has happened.

Hope you get some good news on the bike, amazing you were able to ride it home...I guess the adrenalin was in max overload.

Almost zactly the same scenario as my low-side a couple of years ago - gravel/sand color blended perfectly with the road surface. My failed jacket left a nice bit of rash below the elbow on my forearm. About 95% sure I separated a shoulder too, but it healed on its own. Glad to hear your injuries seem to be similarly painful, but not life-changing (other than to your riding style - I still treat ANY visible dirt/water in the road with more respect/trepidation than before).

If you're not already aware of it, there are big non-stick gauze pads now that really work. Minimal peeling of your hide when you change them out instead of the old pads that seemed designed for debridement with each change...I seem to recall Neosporin had a burn ointment that was very good too.

Heal well.

The itch has been strong for a while, so this past Thursday I got to scratch it.
You all be a bunch of lame-ass pansy mo-fos! I didn't intentionally serve up the above softball right in the middle of the strike zone, but the fact that none of you turds hit it out of the park is a bit disappointing. Where's RH? Surely it would not have got past him!

Thanks for all the well-wishes folks. In the great scheme of things, this is just a blip. When my primary concern is getting the FJR back on the road ASAP, that's a good thing.

As for the questions on the helmet, it's an HJC IS-MAX: Clicky. I like the helmet, thought it's not perfect. In this case, I am just not sure if I had it properly latched. It didn't look all that bad, I will try and post some pics later. Latch is working great right now. Of course I am probably not simulating the impact as best as I can to the real life version. Where's mi bastard step-daddy beemerdons? He'll make a good crash test dummy.

If you're not already aware of it, there are big non-stick gauze pads now that really work. Minimal peeling of your hide when you change them out instead of the old pads that seemed designed for debridement with each change...I seem to recall Neosporin had a burn ointment that was very good too.
Oh, I am VERY aware. :( They gave me a supply at the hospital along with some prescription anti-bacterial cream the doc says they use on burn patients. Once a day I get to relive the fun.

Here are some pics of my poor FJR. I know it doesn't look all that bad, but it's the hidden issues with the front end I am worried about.

For like the 3rd time, the Garauld rack took a beating.

IMG_5316.jpg

Most of the damage to the upper left. A new front subframe will be needed. Damn, that thing is a PITA to change.

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5319.jpg

Scratches to the right front fender. Bike was sliding on it's left side the whole time as far as I know. This must me guardrail impact damage.

IMG_5322.jpg

Some small gouges to the right fork. (There are some on the right side of the wheel too.) Again, I am assuming guardrail impact and most likely which is causing my front end issues.

IMG_5324.jpg

Even the right PHID got it. Those $$$$ things are always the first to go!

IMG_5327.jpg

Pics are self-explanatory:

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

IMG_5333.jpg

Again, the left Wild Bill highway bracket takes some major abuse.

IMG_5335.jpg

Somehow, the radiator guard got all screwy. (BTW, my radiator fan isn't working either. I was fine until the hospital parking lot and lots of idle speed. I hit the sixth flashing bar on the temp gauge and puked out a bunch of coolant out the overflow tube.)

IMG_5339.jpg

Even the front fender is a bit cockeyed.

IMG_5340.jpg

As I said initially, the 140 miles I rode after the wreck she handled like a dream. Handlebars are a bit cock-eyed, and there's the 'loose part' feel when braking, but overall I was happy. Until the next day in the daylight when I see there is a bit more than I thought. But what is there that I don't see?

But what is there that I don't see?
With the cock-eyed fender & radiator bracket....a chunk of metal that looks popped off the forks and not just ground or gouged....and other angles it seems like it took a BIG SOLID hit. I think you'll be lucky if it's just the forks and not also the frame.

Must have hurt like a bitch to bend down to get those closeup shots Skooter.

That will be a lot of change to fix. You might be better off spending $5000 on a new-to-you used GEN I bike.

I think you would be wasting money if you fix the bike. If you insist and the forks are bent, I would recommend Dr John in Anaheim, ca. www.drjohnsmfs.com. I have used them several times with excellent results.

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are OK.

Greg, Greg, Greg...... DAMNIT !!!!
Do NOT scare our collective asses like this, ok?

So glad you are ok, it certainly could have been much worse. Remember - Advil is your friend. Please heal up quickly.

I just happen to have a wrecked 05 in my garage - and I'm pretty sure the forks are straight. Just in case.
Hal-kaitsdad, Steve and Mike-madmike2: Can you please help vectervp1-Art Montoya and Papa Chuy out? Is this Crash #6 or Crash #7 for Skooty? Arte and I both lost count around Crashes #4 & #5!

Latest posts