grinding hard parts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTMRIDER

Reaction score
Im still getting use to my new to me FJR and with this being my heaviest bike by about a hundred pounds I'm being kinda cautious and working my way "down" on the lean angles.Been getting pretty brave on my favorite on ramp each day on the commute to work, but I'm surprised I have yet to touch a foot peg or other non tire part to the ground. Do you faster guys grind footpegs?

When I first got Silver, I was surprised how soon the pegs touched. My previous bike was a '92 BMW K100RS and it had better maximum lean angles, though I had ground those pegs too. However, since putting on the highway pegs I have been too scared to get the pegs down because the highway peg mounts are rigid and will unload the tires if they hit hard. I have also worked on improving technique to reduce lean angle.

Suspension setup Is also key...

Plenty to read here regarding that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, I smell another lean angle/body positioning thread coming on. NERPT here we come.

Get an aftermarket shock with ride height adjust and the right spring. Done deal.

You'll get responses across the spectrum on this question, I'm certain. Here is my .02.

I used to grind the peg feels constantly. More so when loaded, as a function of over taxed suspension. Solo out of poor form. I attended some training and learned new riding techniques, re-worked the suspension to be on par with what I was asking the bike to do, and no more grinding. Occasionally I'll get a peg feeler down, but usually when I've misjudged a corner in some way and attacked it with poor form.

If you pushing to the point of grinding parts, you are to the point of advancing your riding technique through training. This is more than reading a book. Participate as a student in a rider course where you've got direct observation and critiquing from established professionals. Check that box, then consider upgrading the suspension in order to get the bike to a point where it can better respond to what you're asking of it.

Everyone will have an opinion. For me, as the bike sits now, I can make time up or down a twisty road smoothly and efficiently with out grinding parts

Me...I'm too askeered to lean the bike.

My peg feelers only have that occasional scrape when hitting a bump in a tight turn.

Is this where I drag out the photos of scraped up footshields and ground-off exhaust bracket bolt?

Or do I just suggest checking the suspension sag, think a little about body position, and go have fun?

Suspension upgrades will mask poor technique, to a point.

Learn how to ride, first.

I used to grind both footpegs, side and center stands. Not any more.

And I'm still on stock suspension.

Im not complaining, I guess I was just expecting to be grinding parts on a bike this large. The previous owner of my bike has it set up on the stiff side.

Im not complaining, I guess I was just expecting to be grinding parts on a bike this large. The previous owner of my bike has it set up on the stiff side.
I think the responses to your question were a function of reflex. These guys are used to hearing "my FJR touches down the pegs too easily because of the crappy stock suspension" and responded accordingly. They're not used to hearing "wow, I'm surprised I haven't even touched a peg yet!"

I'm like you - new to the bike (and returning to riding after several years away and coming from a much smaller bike). I'm taking things easy and gradually pushing harder in the curves (although I'll have to travel quite a distance from home to find real curves - not too many around here!). I know I have a big margin of error and lots of room to push harder, but the last thing I want to do is overestimate the available traction, particularly with the amount of gravel still on our roads here. I'll gradually lean it over more and more.

What is this "Lean" you folks are talking about?
biggrin.png

I'd have to agree with Wayne...

For the six years that I have owned the bike, I can count on one hand the times I've scrapped pegs.

I set the stock suspension up to Jeff Ashes settings, and have never had issues.

I have never understood this discussion except when posed as a suspension set up question.

Grinding hard parts is not only stupid, expensive, and really dangerous.

You are riding a Sport Touring, or now in the new 2013 adds a Super Sport Touring motorcycle.

Grinding parts is not smooth or faster riding, it is on the edge of what the bike is capable of and very dangerous for those that are not track rats.

Either you need to practice good riding techniques or go to a class. There is no reason to grind parts if you are doing all the things you should be doing in watching your road and riding within sight distances in corners. If you out ride your sight line yes you will grind or worse. Smooth is faster and that has nothing to do with lean angle and all to do with riding within you sight line and your skill set. Proper use of brake and gas, Break drops the bikes height, gas lifts the bike.

As I said never understand it even as "bragging" rights. Just seems stupid and dangerous to me.

It'll get over good enough to pretty much use up the tire before the wrong things start touching.

I'm with LAF. One thing that used to freak me out in my cruiser days was the thought of Billy Lane wrecking because a peg feeler dug into the asphalt.

Some of you guys need to go sit on the porch, your wheezing is

really distracting.

Grinding hard parts is merely poor technique, nothing more.

The FJR responds really well to body English, hanging off a

little on the inside really helps to keep it off the deck.

Pushing it down into the turn like a dirt bike is bad form and

not appropriate or effective on the street.

Sorry to bring it up..... thought I was on a "sport touring" site. Or did I mistakenly post this in a HD TriGlide forum? And never did I say Iwas trying to grind parts so I could brag about it. I was asking a question and was ccommenting on how I was impressed with the cornering clearance of such a large bike. Lighten up guys.... Its a motorcycle and meant to be leaned in turns and if under the right circumstance a foot peg touches the ground the world won't come to an end. Of course I hear those Can Am Spyders are nice machines and allow you to go around turns without offending the senior citizens.. LOL

To answer your original question - yes, footpegs do get touched to the ground, and centerstands shortly after that. If you have used up most of your chickenstrip, like 3/8's of an inch remaining, you're getting close to touchdown. Not that I advocate such childish, unsafe, immature, irresponsible, or dangerous behaviors.

Of course I hear those Can Am Spyders are nice machines and allow you to go around turns without offending the senior citizens.. LOL
I've also heard that if you attach a sidecar to your bike you can significantly enhance its "vertical stability"! Ooh, and then there's after-market trike conversions available to boost safety! Me, I just make sure I take some Gravol before riding in case I accidentally get more than 4 or 5 degrees off vertical.
winksmiley02.gif

All kidding aside, it'll be a while before I find myself wishing I had more ground clearance like a lot of people around here seem to wish for. Just call me "Chicken Strips G-Man".
smile.png