• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Grip Lock Security Device - Has anyone tried or seen one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least, unlike a disc lock, you won't bend the rotors.
Or forget it's there and do a ground loop when you take off. And FJRs are too heavy for most people to pick up and put in the back of a truck. Looks good, and a good visual deterrent.

I lock the forks most of the time, but I've wondered how effective that really is. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
One screw to remove the front brake lever and you're away (if placed on throttle side). Low price but minimal security. If placed on the clutch side, you might have to remove the original lever and bring a replacement.

How much "security" are you expecting for $20? I think you get at least that much here.

No, I don't even bother locking the forks, unless I'm leaving it overnight in an urban area (which is almost never).

I figure we have a lot of things going for us: The FJR is too big and heavy to pick up easily, or push / roll onto a truck or trailer without power.

Access to the ignition wires to hot-wire the thing would take a long time and is not simple (multiple contacts need to be made).

Unlike crotch rockets or shiny cruisers, the FJR is not a particularly widely sought after model (except in our demented community), therefore a hot one, any without a title, would not sell very quickly or easily.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a case where an FJR was ever actually stolen? I'm sure it has to have happened before. I've just never heard of it, so I suspect it is very rare.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of a case where an FJR was ever actually stolen? I'm sure it has to have happened before. I've just never heard of it, so I suspect it is very rare.
If it has happened, the thieves probably thought it was a BMW.

I never lock the forks or have any other theft deterrent device.

BMWs are among the least stolen motorcycles. No surprise that Harleys are the most stolen and they are pretty darn hefty. If you can park near a HD, but not so close that the thieves will need to move your FJR while they are taking the HD.

The Grip Lock does look like it would deter a thief when placed on a heavy bike.

I'd pass on that, personally.

Not too worried about anyone stealing my bike.

Provides me an excuse to buy a newer model.

One screw to remove the front brake lever and you're away (if placed on throttle side). Low price but minimal security. If placed on the clutch side, you might have to remove the original lever and bring a replacement.
I thought about this, but since the device remains, it would be awkward at best to use the throttle. I think that it's secure enough to prevent someone from grabbing the bike and going. It will deter some opportunistic thieves.

(Better than nothing...)

I sawa youtube flick with a very similar product. This device will deter someone who cannot pick the bike up. As I require more security, I'll use a disc brake lock on the back. I did purchase it for $19.99