Grip Puppies- do they absorb/hold water?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
I just installed my first set of Grip Puppies. Riding to work this morning there were some sprinkles coming down, which made me think- if my bike is parked (or ridden) in the rain for awhile, will the Grip Puppies absorb and hold water? Thanks for your sharing your experiences.

yes, they do absorb a bit of water. If I've been parked in the rain, I give them a good squeeze with my bare hands as I'm getting ready/bike is warming up, and I haven't really noticed it while riding.

Oh!! Hell Yes! I used em for a short time, took (actually tore) them off while riding in the rain in the mountians they were mushie, slippery, and I tore them working the twisties. Never have replaced them, never will. I like it more without them. :clapping:

As said, just squeeze them out and ride. They dry pretty quick. And if you have heated grips, even quicker.

As far as them ripping or being that loose in the corners after rain, perhaps you need to loosen your grip a bit?

I have used them for 7 years or so and would not be without them. Hearing they may not be available soon, I bought 5 pairs for stock.

Yes, they are big sponges. But like others have said, just squeeze em, they dry rather quickly, especially if you turn your heated grips on.

-MD

As said, just squeeze them out and ride. They dry pretty quick. And if you have heated grips, even quicker.

As far as them ripping or being that loose in the corners after rain, perhaps you need to loosen your grip a bit?

I have used them for 7 years or so and would not be without them. Hearing they may not be available soon, I bought 5 pairs for stock.

+1...i have them on both bikes and love them. and, I live in a rainforest

I bought 6 pair last "round

Same here, just give 'em a squeeze and they're good to go. I've ridden many miles in frog stranglers with Grip Puppies installed and have never had a problem with them slipping or anything else.

Since they are being discontinued, :dribble: I guess not alot of riders are using them. <_< So I guess you can ty-wrap some sponges to your grips after the current stock is depleted. It sounds like some "grip puppie hoarding" is going on. Better get your orders in soon! :rolleyes:

PS. Don't critisize my riding style, unless you can keep up or pass me! :rolleyes:

"sponge" is a little over-dramatic, dontcha think? I've never noticed mine holding water

to each their own.

oh wait...that doesn't seem to be your style :lol:

They may absorb some water, but it's never been an issue for me. I live in the Rainy Pacific Northwest and ride all year. If it's raining I'm wearing waterproof gloves, so don't notice wet grips. And I installed mine using compressed air, so there's never been an issue with them getting loose when wet (which I suspect may be an issue if you use something like dishsoap to install them).

I also hoarded a few of them because I wear out a pair per year and want to have a few years supply on hand. The don't actually wear out for me, but start to split on the end so I replace them because it doesn't look good.

I don't think 'sponge' is over dramatic. My only complaint with them is the water retention on long rides in the rain. As they fill up with water (yes I squeeze them out) I find water penetrating my 'water-proof' gloves in the palms from using them when the wet weather ride is long enough and wet enough.

It sucks, yep, but not bad enough of an issue to make me not use them for the other 95% of the time I ride.

(running off to order a Radio Howie Butt load since they are being discontinued).

-Md

Right now, I wish mine would get wet. 29 days in a row with temps on or above 100F and no rain. :angry:

Since they are being discontinued, :dribble: I guess not alot of riders are using them. <_< So I guess you can ty-wrap some sponges to your grips after the current stock is depleted. It sounds like some "grip puppie hoarding" is going on. Better get your orders in soon! :rolleyes:

PS. Don't critisize my riding style, unless you can keep up or pass me! :rolleyes:
No it is because the manufacture in this economy, wants an unrealistic amount on a order to run another production.

I was not criticizing your riding style just offering a reason/solution to them moving around on you.

You obviously do not like them and are not alone, however the people who have used them for many years answered you question.

As far as keeping up or passing you, I learned many years ago to "ride my own ride" not someone else s, so we will never know that outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since they are being discontinued, :dribble:
They are? Where did you see that? I see no indication on the order website: https://www.casporttouring.com/optimizer/category/GRIPPUP.html
I saw it in another post by someone who stopped into their store and the conversation and reason I repeated above was given to him, unrealistic numbers for a production run. I do know a LOT of BMW guys use them also so it wont make them happy either. I hope it is not true, but if so, I would say buy some stock so you have them. I really dont go through them too often, but really unhandy when you need one and don't have it. I always stock a spare set, but for 50 bucks with free shipping to the door no worries. Worth it to me to tie up the money and have them.

WTF... I have ridden for 30 years and never worn out a pair of grips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grip Puppies are not grips. They are spongy rubber pieces that fit over grips and gives one a softer feel. :)

Grip Puppies are not grips. They are spongy rubber pieces that fit over grips and gives one a softer feel. :)
And increase the diameter of the grip. I found both the BMW LT and the FJR grips too small.