Hand numbness!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airportcop

Reaction score
I know that this is probably old hat but I am experiencing hand numbness after riding even short distances on my 03 FJR. I have standard risers, bar end weights and grip puppies over stock grips. The main problem is my throttle hand. I know using the throttle lock helps but it isn't consistent. I have also tried special gloves which help some but still have this annoying problem. A friend suggested I shoot butile rubber into the bar ends. He said this helped on his Versys. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Are you sure your gloves fit properly?

Can it be related to having to hold the throttle open? If so then maybe a throttle rocker will help. I released the tension on one of the three throttle springs, as many others have done, and that helped me.

I have the same problem... Infact my right hand is still a little numb since EOM on thursday. It was a 2500 mile trip. It gets quite bad and i have to shake it out very often, but it still hasnt fully recoverd. I used risers on the way down , and no risers while there and back and i frequently use the throttle lock. :angry2:

Kuryakin Throttle Boss solved the problem for me. I'm using it over Grip Puppies.

Are you leaning on your hands - if so, DON"T - you should be able to remove your left hand without he bike leaning towards the right. Bend more at the hips and dont prop yourself on the grips.

With the seat int he high position, I put more weight on my hands and they suffer more, but my knees feel better.

Also, I use a throttle rocker, you do get used to it and it does help.

The previous post is the first one with the right answer. All the other answers work around the problem, which is weight on the hands.

Don't lean forward in your back to reach the bars, roll your whole upper body forward at the hips, keeping your back straight, even keeping an arch in the lower back. Your hands will rest on the grips while your legs and hips support your upper body.

Search around the web and the forum for "Master Yoda Riding Position."

Every time I bring it up, I mention my own test: Let go of the bars. If you had to shift your weight (usually by putting weight through your feet into the pegs) to do so then your riding posture is incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Master yoda riding position and a go-cruise throttle lock. the throttle lock gives the right hand a break now and then when slab riding. Can ride all day that way with breaks every 90-120 minutes off the bike.

+1 on Post 7 & 8. Lean forward at the hips, weight slightly off the tailbone. Don't lean on the bars.

Also, my Cramp Buster has enabled me to ride 12/14 or more hours with no discomfort at all. Adjust it so your wrist is only very slightly bent, if at all. After extended use, the CB needs to be readjusted as it does have a tendency to slip down thus causing your wrist to be too low.

Keep Going!

The previous post is the first one with the right answer. All the other answers work around the problem, which is weight on the hands.

Don't lean forward in your back to reach the bars, roll your whole upper body forward at the hips, keeping your back straight, even keeping an arch in the lower back. Your hands will rest on the grips while your legs and hips support your upper body.

Search around the web and the forum for "Master Yoda Riding Position."

Every time I bring it up, I mention my own test: Let go of the bars. If you had to shift your weight (usually by putting weight through your feet into the pegs) to do so then your riding posture is incorrect.

wfooshee,

I think you have expressed that very well. I very much agree with your analysis. I purchased my almost new 09 FJR 15 April of this year. I owned a 1100 Virago for 5 years before this. I added frame sliders and GenMar risers. I'v been hearing all the fuss about a different windshield and seat being a MUST. Well I disagree ... although not strongly. I am 5' 8" and a tad light at (ehmm) 135 lbs. I did not particularly enjoy the seating or handle bar position, so I ordered GenMar risers (and the frame slider) that very first week. I really wanted a set of helibars plus the heli risers ... but I was trying to save some cash. In August, I did a 4600 km tour from Montreal to Cincinnati to join up with a good friend and long time FRJ rider. We then toured the twistys in norther Kentucky for 3 days. Well, I learned a few things quickly, some on my own, much from by buddy and from this forum:

- riding position is very important. The Yoda position works! Sit up front close to that tank with your back as straight as possible and relax the arms;

- In my case, it is my left hand that get more tired. I do use a rocker for the throttle hand, and that really helps to relax that hand. A great little thing!

- The GenMar risers are much better that the stock handle bar position ... But the bars need to be pulled back as well. I believe the helibars and risers and really what's needed. Anyone have a set for a Gen II for sale?

- A better windshield would be nice ... but I can live with the stock one;

- There are probably better seats, But I can live just fine with teh stock seat as well. I was riding 6 to 8 hour days. The first 4 hours, I would do 2 to 2 1/2 hours between stops. Then I'd need to increase the stops frequency quite a bit (every hour tops). My ass was starting to suffer a bit, but would recover fast.

But in general, I think we finding excuses to buy more toys for our machine. The FJR is a great machine. The only thing it really needs ... is better handle bar position, i.e., a set of helibars and heli risers on every bike. The rest we can live with just fine in my opinion. Remember that every bike has faults, and we all have quite different physiognomies. If I wanted to be supper conformable all the time ... I could stay on the couch with a beer in my hand all the time ... and I'd be miserable!

BTW, I will probably start another post about this soon, But I am hoping to take a 2 week tour early June 2012 , an eastern loop of the US starting from Montreal. Few highway miles ... twistys and scenic country roads as much as possible. And I sure would like to have another riding partner. So if anyone from this neck of the woods (Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa, northern portions of the sates of NY, Vermont or NH is interested, perhaps we should start talking ...

Be well everyone!

Master Yoda! It also helps with shoulder and back discomfort on long rides. It took me a long time to adapt to MYRP (years of practice til it became automatic) but one you understand the principle and put it into practice, you can enjoy 400-500 mile days with ease and be ready for the same the next day. And so on...

I know that this is probably old hat but I am experiencing hand numbness after riding even short distances on my 03 FJR. I have standard risers, bar end weights and grip puppies over stock grips. The main problem is my throttle hand. I know using the throttle lock helps but it isn't consistent. I have also tried special gloves which help some but still have this annoying problem. A friend suggested I shoot butile rubber into the bar ends. He said this helped on his Versys. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
I have same issue on my 2010 many posts on this issue on this site. If you find a solution I would love to know. I know some guys have put a heavy bar end on and said it helped a little but I have yet to hear of a total solution.

The throttle locks, cruise controls, grip puppies, and cramp busters all help, as does the MYRP. That being said it seems a numb right hand is a common trait among FJR riders...EVERY group ride I've ever been on reveals most of the riders doing the flash signal (closed fist to spread open hand repeatedly) with their throttle hands from time to time to get some circulation going (along with leg kick outs and peg standing). I deal with it myself on a daily basis, but using the tools available have made it manageable.

And yes, it does contribute to the overall farkle disease...I'm coming down with NCC fever as I type (NCC=need cruise control) . ;)

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am working on the MYRP and will put my throttle rocker back on. Is the cramp buster better than the throttle rocker?

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am working on the MYRP and will put my throttle rocker back on. Is the cramp buster better than the throttle rocker?
Personal preference. I have both only because I purchased the TR first and it didn't feel right to me. The CB just works better in terms of ease of adjusting and fit. The cost allows for experimentation and is justified due to the great long term positive results achieved.

Keep Going!