have a friend somewhat new to motorcycling

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hellofaride

Reaction score
I've got a friend who wants to get into some sport touring.

he's asked me for a recomendation, i'm thinking v-strom 1000 or maybe bandit1250.

give me some recomendations not too heavy, not underpowered, something he can

grow into & tour with. whats your recomendations ? has to be comfortable for the long haul.

I've got a friend who wants to get into some sport touring.he's asked me for a recomendation, i'm thinking v-strom 1000 or maybe bandit1250.

grow into & tour with. whats your recomendations ? has to be comfortable for the long haul.
I transitioned from the Bandit to the FJR so I have a bias. To me, in this comparo, it would come down to a twin vs inline 4 and comfort of the seating position because I'll never go off road on a bike like a V-Strom. If I go off road, it will be on a full off road bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure this "new rider" is ready for either of those bikes? Neither is what I would consider a "beginners" bike.

[edit] yes, I know there are some folks that start out on FJRs... but why do it the hard way?

I'm with Fred on this one. A "beginners" bike, as it were, is not a 1000 or a 1200.

Why not start with a middleweight such as an SV650 or an FZ6 and throw some frame sliders on it?

Your friend will spend less penny on an older machine coupled with the fact that it will be dropped at some point.

I would steer far clear of a VStrom if he want's something "Not too heavy" It's not too bad but it's so tall it's very topheavy. I'm 6'4" and couldn't flat foot at a stoplight on my VStrom 1000.....I had to lower it an inch but it was still really topheavy, I was always afraid of dropping it.

Why not start with a middleweight such as an SV650 or an FZ6 and throw some frame sliders on it?
Or the 650 V-Strom (affectionately nicknamed the WeeStrom). I've ridden one and it would have plenty of power and touring capability for a newer rider, imo, and I know a couple of very experienced riders that kick butt on theirs. But it is tall and a bit top heavy.

Need to know a bit more about your friend. I think the WeeStrom & FZ6 can be great bikes, but not for somebody 4'11" at 350 pounds.

Are you going to ride up and down the mountains of NY State every single weekend? Or ride highways around New England? Different recommendations for a bike in these cases.

etc

I've got a friend who wants to get into some sport touring.he's asked me for a recomendation, i'm thinking v-strom 1000 or maybe bandit1250.

From the tone of your post ("...wants to get into some sport touring.") can we assume he has SOME motorcycle experience? That would change recommendations considerably.

If this rider is "new", I'd suggest an SV650, FZ-6 or Bandit 600. "Liter" bikes accelerate at a rate that can kill a person who is unaware and the mentioned mid-size bikes work quite well and are toured on by many riders.

If this rider is experienced there are many more options. You might want to consider a used ST bike: Triumph Sprint ST, Honda "Viffer", etc. Or even a used Gen I FJR, Honda ST or .....??

I would steer far clear of a VStrom if he want's something "Not too heavy" It's not too bad but it's so tall it's very topheavy. I'm 6'4" and couldn't flat foot at a stoplight on my VStrom 1000.....I had to lower it an inch but it was still really topheavy, I was always afraid of dropping it.
+1

Have a buddy with a DL1000, and I bug him about it being a top heavy tractor.

It's pretty hard to advise people what bike to get, especially if you don't know them, or anything about them. Most folks don't take advice, anyway. They want a different brand, different color - they want to pick their own. But, if you're willing, here's my suggestion:

A Moto Guzzi Norge. It's a real ST that looks great, has controllable horsepower, a dependable motor, is probably more comfortable than anything else out there (depending on your size and shape, I suppose), and decent luggage. It's lighter than an FJR, but heavier than a Sprint ST. It's really nimble, and the brakes are great. Your friend would seriously be into the ST crowd, but on a milder platform, although a more unique bike.

New price is a drawback, so I'd opt for a used one. You can find these, with low miles, easy. Sparse dealer network is another drawback, but Guzzi's have a rep for dependability and endurance.

If the choice is between a Bandit and an SV1000, however; I'd go with the Bandit. If his experience isn't up to a 1250, suggest the little Bandit or the FZ6. Used Bandits and FZ6's are cheap, and nearly every dealer has one.

Back to the difficulties recommending bikes - It's easier to mention what to stay away from: BMW's, or anything with high maint. costs and serious known failure issues.

He'd better have deep pockets or a great set of metric wrenches if he's gonna buy a Guzzi (or any Italian bike for that matter).

All of the suggestions for a middleweight sport touring are right on. I'll just add to encourage him to buy one used. None of the angst of dealing with a brand new bike (first scratch, first drop, dealer BS, etc.) , and when (not if) he wants to move up to an FJR he will be able to get most, or all of his money back out of it.

I would stay away from the V-Strom. I got back into riding three years ago (after 20 years off) and started out with a DL1000. I found it to be the worst choice I could have made. The bike weights a ton, is very top heavy, sucks in the turns and you get really slammed in windy weather. Had it six months and traded it in for a 2007 FJR. I rode a friends FJR and I was hooked. Now instead of one bike payment it feels like I have two. If your friend has been on bikes before and does not ride like an idiot, suggest that he go with the FJR. Take it slow and get to know the bike and his riding skills.